Why Do Banks Make It So Hard to Talk to a Human Customer Service Representative ?

I tried accessing my credit card account online at Citizens Bank, and received the message "this password has expired, click the link to reset it". So I clicked the link, and entered my full credit card number, and received the message: "this number is not recognized, call Customer Support".

I called two different Customer Support phone numbers, and both times was connected to a "phone tree" of options. There was no option for "connect me to a Customer Service Representative". I yelled "Customer Service Representative" at the dumb robot several times, and got no response. :mad: 15 years ago it was easy to get connected via phone to a human CS Rep.

I found a third Citizens Bank phone number to call tomorrow. If it connects me to an idiot phone tree, I will have a stroke.

I had a similar frustrating experience 5 years ago with Wells Fargo, when I wanted to talk to a live person about possible fraud on my debit card.

Any tips on how to get connected to a human C.S. representative? I can't walk into a Citizens Bank, because there are none in my area. I only use Citizens Bank for the credit card (since 1998).

Hopefully this is the right "Citizens Bank" there appear to be several regionally around the country.

citizens bank CC service.jpg

Don't have an answer. It used to be you could just keep hitting "0" to get a customer service rep. But that doesn't work anymore. When my son had a problem a with an airline-and was "stranded," he started bashing them on Twitter and that got an immediate response.

Don't have an answer. It used to be you could just keep hitting "0" to get a customer service rep. But that doesn't work anymore. When my son had a problem a with an airline-and was "stranded," he started bashing them on Twitter and that got an immediate response.
always check gethuman.com
figuring out how to quickly talk to a real person is their whole purpose. they even test their "hacks" a couple times a year to make sure things are fairly up to date.

Hopefully this is the right "Citizens Bank" there appear to be several regionally around the country.

View attachment 217242

That is the correct phone number. I will try it again, but with the hacks. Thanks

Until recently, I had over $200k sitting in my regular bank accounts (checking & savings), and the bank was calling me often, to "help" me repurpose this money. A fair chunk of this money was thrown down, paying off my mortgage, and the calls stopped. Figure that?

I tried accessing my credit card account online at Citizens Bank, and received the message "this password has expired, click the link to reset it". So I clicked the link, and entered my full credit card number, and received the message: "this number is not recognized, call Customer Support".

I called two different Customer Support phone numbers, and both times was connected to a "phone tree" of options. There was no option for "connect me to a Customer Service Representative". I yelled "Customer Service Representative" at the dumb robot several times, and got no response. :mad: 15 years ago it was easy to get connected via phone to a human CS Rep.

I found a third Citizens Bank phone number to call tomorrow. If it connects me to an idiot phone tree, I will have a stroke.

I had a similar frustrating experience 5 years ago with Wells Fargo, when I wanted to talk to a live person about possible fraud on my debit card.

Any tips on how to get connected to a human C.S. representative? I can't walk into a Citizens Bank, because there are none in my area. I only use Citizens Bank for the credit card (since 1998).
They want your money. They don’t care what you have to say.

Best tip for better customer service? Find a local, state credit union.

Watch the Frasier episode, “Roe to Perdition”, for very funny scenes about getting good service at a bank.

Choose any option like "report fraud" or "dispute a transaction", that's someone stealing THEIR money so they'll answer the phone with those menu options. Then when someone answers, tell them your issue.

Just had to talk to Citizens today. They tried to sent and extra debit card, and I once the card didn’t work I got a person in about 8 min…….

Humans cost money, need healthcare, time off, have kids, and are pesky about raises.

These spiraling costs push companies toward automation. This will only get worse.

The movie theatre figured out it was cheaper and faster to hand you an empty cup and give you free unlimited drinks at the machine than pay a second kid to pour it and hand it to you from behind a counter.

Humans cost money, need healthcare, time off, have kids, and are pesky about raises.

These spiraling costs push companies toward automation. This will only get worse.

The movie theatre figured out it was cheaper and faster to hand you an empty cup and give you free unlimited drinks at the machine than pay a second kid to pour it and hand it to you from behind a counter.
Well, once that second kid started believing filling cups with 50 cents worth of cold liquid was worth $20/hr, the movie theater had to find ways to keep their racket profitable. And since they’re already charging an arm and a leg for tickets, any further price increases would leave them with immobile customers or ones who couldn’t carry their own concessions.

So now that kid makes $0/hr instead of $7 he should have been thankful for, and taken as a sign that he should have put more effort into learning while he was in school. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: D60
Ha, try calling USCIS and try to get to human. Their AI call system deliberately denies you and tells you to go get info on website and insisting on sending a link to your email or cell phone(while website tells you to call in that situation). If you insist on getting human or start yelling at it- it just hangs up on you or it may switch to spanish and starts talking something fast (like ***? I don’t speak spanish and never told it any spanish words). After 3 unsuccessful calls,I started googling and found a “hack” that is still working. You have to say that you need to reschedule appointment (even if you don’t have one) and in that case it routes you to human agent… Very frustrating experience…

Back