Why are some drain plug gaskets ribbed?

I have been looking for nylon drain plug gaskets for my vehicles, and I have seen a couple like the pic below, with ribs. What benefit does this provide?

20240225_170710.jpg

I would say just a gimmick. It may provide slightly more resistance to keep it in place should the drain plug become loose.

You don't need to tighten the drain bolt as much and the ribbing helps seal where drain pan imperfection exist - as the vehicle ages. They also can be used more than once without an oil seep.

The best part man...... my vehicle is blue - my drain bolt is magnetic blue and now my drain pan washer is blue.
When my 2.4 GDI Theta II finally grenades, I'm calling me a blue tow truck.

OK, if I notice any leaking (I never do), I'll look at that as a stop-gap.

You don't need to tighten the drain bolt as much and the ribbing helps seal where drain pan imperfection exist - as the vehicle ages. They also can be used more than once without an oil seep.

The best part man...... my vehicle is blue - my drain bolt is magnetic blue and now my drain pan washer is blue.
When my 2.4 GDI Theta II finally grenades, I'm calling me a blue tow truck.

Just outta curiosity--would that be from hitting a rock in the road, or have you found some drain pans are like that out of the factory?

I'll keep these in mind if my current use of nylon/composite gaskets stops working for me.

I use these on a car with a non- smooth pan surface. The ribs form a higher deformation and help stop leakage against the pan surface. Try them out. They’re dirt cheap.

Just outta curiosity--would that be from hitting a rock in the road, or have you found some drain pans are like that out of the factory?

I'll keep these in mind if my current use of nylon/composite gaskets stops working for me.
No, it’s actually a drain pan on my 1973 Ford Maverick with a 302 V-8. The pan is pitted, and dented from the 100,000 miles it accumulated over the last 50 years. A normal steel washer would not seal it, but the ribbed plastic one did without trouble. By the way, the Mustang crowd really digs the Maverick at the local car shows. :D

Back