Why are SAE sockets formatted in fractions?

I have a mechanical engineering degree. The person cutting my hair once tried to "explain" the sizes of the guards and she had no idea what the numbers meant except "1" is shorter than "2" which is shorter than "3" and so on. When I said a #4 is 1/2", she looked at me like I was just making up numbers.

On a related note, here is what some IKEA instructions had. Obviously "converted" by someone and hey, they tried:

View attachment 183016
I purposely bought a tape measure that has imperial and metric units (and will use the metric units just as often as imperial) so it wasn't a big deal.
That would be a good one to round off. 16-9/16" would be close.

The local broadsheet used to have syndicated home projects on Saturdays. The articles came from the U.S., and someone on the Canadian side would do a hard conversion on the units.

Typical example: "Take a piece of pine about 60.96 cm long and about 76.2 mm wide ..."

The American article would have said about 2' (or 24") long and about 3" wide.

Given that the measurements were approximate ("about"), a conversion to four significant figures was misleading.

And given that most Canadians can easily flip back and forth between Imperial and SI anyway, the conversion was completely unnecessary.

That would be a good one to round off. 16-9/16" would be close.

The local broadsheet used to have syndicated home projects on Saturdays. The articles came from the U.S., and someone on the Canadian side would do a hard conversion on the units.

Typical example: "Take a piece of pine about 60.96 cm long and about 76.2 mm wide ..."

The American article would have said about 2' (or 24") long and about 3" wide.

Given that the measurements were approximate ("about"), a conversion to four significant figures was misleading.

And given that most Canadians can easily flip back and forth between Imperial and SI anyway, the conversion was completely unnecessary.
I still remember the owners manual for my Saturn. If the oil level was low by 3.76mm, it was time to add.

The SAE ( Society of Automotive Engineers) was established in the USA in 1905. At the time there were all sorts of ways of describing wrench sizes. The SAE adopted the standard SAE sizes we see to this day. In 1975 the USA adopted the metric system and the automobile industry switched over but for quite a while there were cars with both SAE and metric fasteners. Looks like they’re all metric now.

If I remember Whitworth, the spanner size correlates to the shank, not the head? So a 1/2" bolt would use a 1/2" wrench?

WRT SAE vs metric, I find it interesting that the world has no choice when it comes to ratchet and breaker bar drive sizes. It's either 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", etc.

Which also reminds me I need to post a picture of a 3/4" drive Craftsman ratchet I saw in my FIL's toolbox the other day. He's a retired owner/operator OTR trucker and has a set of BIG TOOLS.

WRT SAE vs metric, I find it interesting that the world has no choice when it comes to ratchet and breaker bar drive sizes. It's either 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", etc.
Also known as 6.35 mm, 9.53 mm, 12.70 mm and 19.05 mm drive ratchets. Go into a parts store and ask if they have any 9.53 mm drive ratchets. 😄

If you're familiar with tape measures using feet and inches, sure. If your only exposure is metric, 27/50 isn't wrong at all.
It's not wrong, but it is awkward. If one doesn't want to round to a common fraction, 16.54" works better (for me) than 16-27/50".

This a fairly accurate flow chart of how Canadians measure things.
maxncb-0234-01-how-to-measure-things-like-a-canadian.jpg

To someone in the metric world, what is a "common fraction", specifically when related to a tape measure or ruler ?
I consider any fractions down to 16ths of an inch common, 32nds and beyond not so much. This is my personal opinion only, likely based on my ye olde SAE sockets and wrenches.

Note that all SBC bores and strokes fit this pattern until the great heresy when the 327 was stroked to 3.48" to create the 350. Even at that, at least they didn't say the stroke was 3-12/25".

Edit: I think all Imperial/SAE fractional denominators should be 2^x (in the automotive world). Just my eight farthings.

Last edited:
No idea but you are right there is a 4.5. I have never used it if I even own one, I have to look now.
I have a 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 and 5.5 from my ancient days repairing Compaq laptops that used rediculous jewelry sized garbage

Even better are small metric torx.

Reactions: D60
Back