Who's running Amsoil ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Tacoma 3.4L 63K changed over to Redline D4, TRD cooler and temp gauge at 30K. Towed a 6x12' uhaul trailer from California to Texas with no issues. Changed the fluid in the pan when i got to Texas and still bright red. Right now ive got two qrts of Amsoil ATF in her since i wanted to used up the rest of Redline and i plan on changing the fluid every 30K with remote tranny filter every year.

'95 Olds 98, auto, 102k miles, changed the fluid and filter at 28k and left it at that. No apparent difference in performance, allowing for age and miles. Leaving in the Amsoil ATF from now on, until I sell the car.

2002 F-150
4R70W transmission
130,000 total miles

Originally flushed (changed to Amsoil ATF) at 1,500 miles. Second fluid change was at 71,000. Now at 130,000 miles on second flush (or 59,000 miles without a change).

Performance differences are not noticeable but the transmission shop (at a large Ford dealership in South Texas) that changed at 71,000 miles was amazed at the lack of degradation of the transmission fluid. The tech stated that most ATF fluids are fried at 30,000 due to the South Texas heat. He also said that the 4R70W is particularly known for failure without regular transmission fluid changes.

Perhaps the change intervals can be attributed to the large external transmission cooler installed at 1,000 miles; however, the tech at the Ford dealership said most of the large Ford trucks already have transmission coolers but the fluid is very dark at only 30,000 miles (the ATF fluid was not dark in my truck at the 71,000 mile change).

I've used the Amsoil ATF in a couple of Audi 5000/100 sedans that called for Dexron II. I typically suction 3 quarts out of the dipstick tube with my Griots garage oil extractor every 30k or so, but it always looks like new fluid.

I'd say it shifts positively, that is to say a bit firm....

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back