Who should I donate to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna donate some money for the relief effort. Who should I donate to? Anywhere online where you can use a credit card? I know the Red Cross and others have been chastised badly for getting like 50% of donations to the needy and keeping the rest.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
I know the Red Cross and others have been chastised badly for getting like 50% of donations to the needy and keeping the rest.
dunno.gif

If you are suggesting individuals are benefiting from "keeping the rest" I am doubtful; they are most likely placing it into reserves for when they need a quick 100 million USD (like now) They cannot wait for donations to come in.

They received far more donations during 9/11 than they could use.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/rc_blinks.html

I would rather send money and have them use it where necessary, than try to dictate the money's specific use.

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
[If you are suggesting individuals are benefiting from "keeping the rest" I am doubtful

No no, I'm not saying that, I was eluding to the efficiency problems they had. The Red Cross had some serious issues in the past with expenses and using too much money for administrative purposes. They're pretty highly rated by charity navigator today so I donated to them.

I wish I could give money directly to people... if they **** it away or use it for good is their choice... but I wish I could get rid of the middleman.

Does charity navigator tell you what percentage of money taken in gets sent out?

That number doesnt make much of a difference if the charity gets a LOT of money... 2% of a billion dollars is still a lot of money for overhead and labor - especially when there are situations liek this where the funds given out are likely large and easy to divy out.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

That number doesnt make much of a difference if the charity gets a LOT of money
JMH

Yea but the bigger the organization, the more overhead and cost they likely have. The Red Cross is huge.

I like the Salvation Army, and donated to them earmarked for Hurricane Katrina relief.

I expect many of the homeless will wind up at Fort Chaffee here in Arkansas, as many refugees have before (Vietnamese, Cuban) while the Gulf Coast is rebuilt.

They will certainly be welcome here.

[ August 31, 2005, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Win ]

I just gave 50 bucks to Red Cross and in a week or so I'll give the same to Salvation Army. If everyone gives what they can we can help the folks and jat the same time help the economy. Its a win/win situation. I hope everyone will give as much as they can.

Check this out. I'm donating to the RedCross through my employer since they will match it dollar for dollar. See if your company will do the same.

Here are a couple links to help: http://give.org/news/disaster_tips.asp
and
http://give.org/news/katrina.asp

Give.org is part of the Better Busness Bureau. it's a great web site for checking out various charities.

Salvation Army is always a good place to direct your money.
Your own church may have something set up either individually or through some regional office.
Our church has a couple of summer residents with winter connections in Biloxi, we will probably be taking a special offering Sunday and send the check directly to their winter church to be used as needed.
I dropped all my loose change in a fish tank at Walmart, if everyone who walked through that door did the same, there'd be a nice pile of cash. I think Walmart is pretty good about getting money and supplies where they are needed.

I tried going to the Salvation Army's website to check if they take plastic, but the site is loading very slowly. probably swamped.
Here's some of what I found on the main page (it finally loaded):
quote:

How You Can Help:

1. Financial Donations:

Financial contributions are greatly needed, and provide The Salvation Army with the funds to purchase what storm victims need. They also allow The Salvation Army to assess the unique needs of individuals and families, as well as put money back into the economy of those communities affected by the disaster.

> To donate by phone, call 1-800-SAL-ARMY..

> To donate by mail, send checks, earmarked 'disaster relief,' to PO BOX 4857 JACKSON, MS 39296-4857.

> Visit your local Wal-Mart or Sam's Club to donate to The Salvation Army's Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

there is a link to click to donate on-line, but it's not loading tonight.
I think, since they have on-line and phone donations, that they DO take credit cards.

My vote goes to the Red Cross also. Salvation Army also.
Check to see if any of your local media has set up any relief funds also. I know almost all the news stations here have.

quote:

Originally posted by Razl:
Check this out. I'm donating to the RedCross through my employer since they will match it dollar for dollar. See if your company will do the same.

My employer matches my donations dollar for dollar!

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
No no, I'm not saying that, I was eluding to the efficiency problems they had. The Red Cross had some serious issues in the past with expenses and using too much money for administrative purposes. They're pretty highly rated by charity navigator today so I donated to them.

You donated
patriot.gif
, but...

This is not a good time to be raising questions about the Red Cross's efficiency. It can discourage people from donating to them.

I have problems with them too, but they are good at getting relief where it needs to go fast. That's why I donated yesterday.

Their website was extremely slow, I hope that means they are getting a slug of donations.

[ September 01, 2005, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:

Check to see if any of your local media has set up any relief funds also. I know almost all the news stations here have.

Good idea. One of the local radio stations here is teaming up with the local YMCA for a big auction next week.
I'm sure the other local sations are doing something similar, but I'm not going to listen to top 40 or country to find out
grin.gif

Check out the websites of your local radio stations, the local YMCA, and other such places.
I'm sure everyone can find some place to send their donations that they can feel really good about.

If you are so inclined, several animal shelters in the area are already receiving critters, and supplies are needed for them as well.

http://www.lonestarbassethound.com/basseted.htm

http://www.ci.pasadena.tx.us/petadoption.htm

others (from a list in the Houston Chronicle)

National donations

While a variety of government and private agencies are en route to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina, federal officials said people wanting to help should not head to the affected area unless directed by an agency. Instead, Michael Brown, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, urged people to make cash contributions to organizations.

• Adventist Community Services: 800-381-7171

• American Red Cross: 800-HELP NOW (435-7669) English, 800-257-7575 Spanish

• America's Second Harvest: 800-344-8070

• Catholic Charities, USA: 703-549-1390

• Christian Disaster Response: 941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554

• Christian Reformed World Relief Committee: 800-848-5818

• Church World Service: 800-297-1516

• Convoy of Hope: 417-823-8998

• Lutheran Disaster Response: 800-638-3522

• Mennonite Disaster Service: 717-859-2210

• Nazarene Disaster Response: 888-256-5886

• Operation Blessing: 800-436-6348

• Presbyterian Disaster Assistance: 800-872-3283

• Salvation Army: 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769)

• Southern Baptist Convention -- Disaster Relief: 800-462-8657, ext. 6440

• United Jewish Communities: 800-554-8583

• United Methodist Committee on Relief: 800-554-8583

[ September 01, 2005, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: kenw ]

I would say the first place to donate would be your church,I am a Baptist so I would recommend the Southern Baptist Convention.

If you dont have a church,I would suggest the Salvation Army.

I dont know about the Red Cross now but when 9/11 happened,they didnt give all of the money that was donated to that effort to the 9/11 relief.

There was a big stink over it when it was found out.

The Salvation Army was on the news today and stated that every penny that they raise for Katrina relief will go to the relief effort.

[ September 01, 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: motorguy222 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back