Who owns a current gen Legacy or Forester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the new Forester. I've never been able to get a huge discount on one either, but I've only bought base models. Subaru remains old school with just a few models and option packages. There's not a huge price difference between a base model and one with a lot of options. Somewhat limited supply means if you wan't one, here's the price. Somehow this continues to work for them? You'll love the fuel economy compared to your earlier models. I hand calculated average MPG over a tank of fuel on mine yesterday. 32.5 mpg. I know the older ones in my family average mid 20s at best.

I wouldn't sweat an early OC. I did it on two of mine. One at ~1500 and ~3000 on the other. When I cut the factory oil filters open, they were pretty spotless. I ran my 2016 right to the recommended 6000mi OCI. Filter was spotless.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Because it wasn't apparent when the car was purchased. That's why. Subaru has set sales record every year since '09. Consequently-they have no reason to keep a current owner happy- as long as they are selling cars at the rate they are. IMHO-it's a short sighted business plan until sales slow. I crawled underneath that car sliding cardboard under plastic skirts-trying to find the rattles. The general build quality-as I stated was horrible.

I just purchased a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited-we will see how this one holds up verses the Subaru. My son has had a Sonata with almost 100,000 miles on it with no issues what-so-ever.

Subaru continues to set sales records rear after year bc they have a reputation of being a quality vehicle. They have pioneered safety over the years..one of the other big reasons for their success. And their AWD system is at the top of the class. Peop[le that have owned Subaru's go right back and buy another one.

Obviously you are a Subaru Hater. Thats fine..just admit it. I don't plan to buy another one bc at the age of 71 it will outlive me.

I have 173K miles on my 08.. I disagree that they have a reputation for thin paint.

BTW..to the OP. Go here: subaruforester.org

Thanks Al. I am a member on the site you suggest but I haven't been there for some time and I'm not even sure what I used as a screen name anymore.
I agree with everything you wrote about Subies.
We've bought a couple of new Foresters and there is no car my wife prefers to drive over one.
We've done about 500 miles on the new Forester in the past week. My wife is very happy to use it on her commute and we drove it on a 250 interstate trip today.
I was very impressed at how strong it was in fast driving as well as the quietness and fuel economy. Ride quality is very good.
Overall, a very pleasant car that is worth what it costs. The CVT is pretty transparent in operation and is not at all irritating.
It actually rides better than our '12 Accord and offers better observed fuel economy under similar driving conditions. The Honda is quieter and offers more interior space and is probably a better performer at higher speeds although the Forester has no trouble with speeds in the young to mid eighties, just like the Accord.

Originally Posted By: Al

Because it wasn't apparent when the car was purchased. That's why. Subaru has set sales record every year since '09. Consequently-they have no reason to keep a current owner happy- as long as they are selling cars at the rate they are. IMHO-it's a short sighted business plan until sales slow. I crawled underneath that car sliding cardboard under plastic skirts-trying to find the rattles. The general build quality-as I stated was horrible.

I just purchased a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited-we will see how this one holds up verses the Subaru. My son has had a Sonata with almost 100,000 miles on it with no issues what-so-ever.

Subaru continues to set sales records rear after year bc they have a reputation of being a quality vehicle. They have pioneered safety over the years..one of the other big reasons for their success. And their AWD system is at the top of the class. Peop[le that have owned Subaru's go right back and buy another one.

Obviously you are a Subaru Hater. Thats fine..just admit it. I don't plan to buy another one bc at the age of 71 it will outlive me.

I have 173K miles on my 08.. I disagree that they have a reputation for thin paint.

BTW..to the OP. Go here: subaruforester.org

Did you read my post? I had a bad ownership experience-and no cooperation at all from Subaru Corporate. I also said my ownership experience was not typical. This was a vehicle that I bought NEW that listed for $28,000.00 You can disagree about thin paint-but this is by far the number one compliant across the Subaru boards-even by owners who are happy except for that issue.

Reading comprehension is at an all time low apparently.

BTW-I would love to see a picture of your '08 and how stellar the paint is.

Last edited:
COPY of previous post you apparently didn't read-AL

I just traded in a 2012 (EX-L) Subaru Legacy with 54,000 miles on it. The paint quality was beyond horrible-and the car had many squeaks and rattles. This was a car which was purchased brand new that listed had a MSRP $28,000.00 when I bought it.

Subaru is fat and happy right now. They are selling every vehicle they can build. If you have any issues that are a borderline warranty item (such as paint) they will tell you to pound sand.

Obviously-my experience seems to differ than most.

Last edited:

Wow.. touchy aren't we.. I read and understood everything you said. You indicated that you feel (based on.I suppose your example). I believe their quality is still top shelf and every car board has compllaints about paint. As I said, very few complaints about paint that I recall in the last 10 years I have been on there. My paint is excellent..its so dirty now you can't determine that. I will wash it in the next few days and post.

Chill out and have a good day.

Last edited:
Subarus drive like Subarus and there is a dedicated group of owners who really like them.
The dealer from which we bought both of our Foresters told us that 70% of their buyers are repeat customers. A couple of the employees had very nice older Legacy wagons. You won't see anything like that at a Kia/Hyundai store.
Our '09 still looks good in spite of its having lived outdoors for most of its years.
My wife is not a car person at all, but she really liked driving the '09 and wanted another.
This made for an easy purchase decision, although this wasn't exactly my first thought.
I also like both of these 'roos.

Originally Posted By: Al

Wow.. touchy aren't we.. I read and understood everything you said. You indicated that you feel (based on.I suppose your example). I believe their quality is still top shelf and every car board has compllaints about paint. As I said, very few complaints about paint that I recall in the last 10 years I have been on there. My paint is excellent..its so dirty now you can't determine that. I will wash it in the next few days and post.

Chill out and have a good day.

http://www.clubcrosstrek.com/forums/f26/subaru-should-be-ashamed-of-the-paint-quality-3347.html

http://www.subarubrzforum.com/9-subaru-b...nt-quality.html

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/forester-xt-poor-paint-quality-275985/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back