Who makes coffee with an an Aeropress? Favorite brew methods?

I got an Aeropress coffee maker a couple of years ago but haven't really used it much. I got it out and used it this morning... Lots of variables involved. How do you like to use your Aeropress?

I've only used it a couple of times. In general, I like it. It takes a finer grind so pre ground coffee won't be the best. So far it reminds me of French press coffee with a cleaner mouth feel.

I've only used it a couple of times. In general, I like it. It takes a finer grind so pre ground coffee won't be the best. So far it reminds me of French press coffee with a cleaner mouth feel.

When you say cleaner mouth feel, do you mean the "film" that you feel around your tongue/roof of mouth after French press coffee? If so, I thought that was just me and the way I make the coffee (but I don't get the same feel with Dunkin.)

When you say cleaner mouth feel, do you mean the "film" that you feel around your tongue/roof of mouth after French press coffee? If so, I thought that was just me and the way I make the coffee (but I don't get the same feel with Dunkin.)
Pretty much. With French press, the screen lets a small amount of undissolved solids through. It also allows more oils through as both don't get filtered out by a paper filter. It's what gives French press that oily, slightly gritty mouth feel with those dregs at the bottom of the cup.

Pretty much. With French press, the screen lets a small amount of undissolved solids through. It also allows more oils through as both don't get filtered out by a paper filter. It's what gives French press that oily, slightly gritty mouth feel with those dregs at the bottom of the cup.

Your description of the results of the Aeropress is spot on. I use mine occasionally when I want a quality, cafe-style coffee. The extraction process pulls a lot of the oils out of the grinds but doesn't let the larger particulates through the filter paper. I despise the gritty sludge that results from using a french press, but prefer the mouthfeel and fullness of an Americano coffee made with the Aeropress.

Reactions: Pew
I've used mine everyday for the last 10 years. It's a great coffee making device. The paper filter insures a clean cup of coffee. Clean up is very easy. I still pull out the French press on occasion when I need to make a larger quantity, or even a drip maker.

Reactions: Pew
I use an Aeropress fairly frequently. I like experimenting with different prep methods that are on u tube. Sometimes the coffee turns out not so good. Most of the time the coffee is ok. I've never found a brew method that was really good.

I use a pourover (Hario V60).

Since you can use boiling water it extracts more than a drip maker.

It's great for quality coffee, but if you use poor coffee it brings out the bad flavors as well. I find most supermarket coffee undrinkable.

In my opinion the coffee matters more than the method, but I'd like to try an aeropress as well, to see if it can produce an espresso-like coffee without an espresso machine.

I use a pourover (Hario V60).

Since you can use boiling water it extracts more than a drip maker.

It's great for quality coffee, but if you use poor coffee it brings out the bad flavors as well. I find most supermarket coffee undrinkable.

In my opinion the coffee matters more than the method, but I'd like to try an aeropress as well, to see if it can produce an espresso-like coffee without an espresso machine.
I've got a nice commercial single group espresso machine.... so far the Aeropress has been more like strong brewed coffee than espresso. Maybe if I knew what I was doing with the Aeropress I could make something close to an Americano, but it's not really the same. Both are good, though.

Back