Who lives up in Snow Country.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am debating between Nokian Hakkapellita 5 (I have used these0, Vredestein Wintrac 4 and "somewhat less expensive) - Michelin Latitude Alpine and or Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow.

Not familar with the latter 3 but I'd love to hear your thought or opinons on wear, noise, etc.

Just trying to find the balance. Nokian's have somewhat agressive tread pattern which makes them great in the snow...I think the Pirelli's are harder.

Michelins probably are softer and tread life when new is 3/32" less than the Nokians..14/32 vs 10/32 if I recall

Last edited:
I put a set of Hakka Q's on my fathers Maxima, they are awesome tires.. I can't speak for the 5's, but the Q's (older model) are just plain awesome in the snow, deep or not. They aren't that loud on the highway (about average for a winter tire) and seem to wear well too. I believe with the Nokians, you get what you pay for. If I could afford the best, I'd go Nokian for sure.

I run somewhat less expensive still ($55/tire) Artic Claws and they're great. I wouldn't blow the bank; rather, have the ability to replace after fewer seasons without guilt.

IMO "even better still" snows are just icing on the cake over regular ones.

True,

most snow tires offer such a significant advantage to all seasons, even a budget snow tire will get you were you want to go, without breaking the bank.

Go middle of the road imo.

Pirelli winter carving, or Continental Winter Viking are excellent for the price.

Also Cooper Artic claw's are great too!

Last edited:
I have Michelin Ice2 on my car and like them a lot as they are quieter than the factory conti tires on dry roads.

On snow and icy roads, they are OK as I never had any surprise with their behaviors.

It all depends of your budget and the tire size you need.
It also depends if you drive mostly large roads which are the first to be cleaned or mostly back roads with plotted snow on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back