Who is planning a diet on Jan 1.

I agree Hermann! I too need more exercise and the weight will come off even if I didn't change anything in my diet. But I will change that as well.
Sooo much easier to change your diet than try and "work it off" with exercise. People grossly overestimate how many calories they burn while exercising and underestimate how many calories are in what they eat. A 3-mile run or 90 min lifting session can easily be completely undone by 2 cookies or a piece of cake.

I don’t know. I have narrow hips and skinny ankles.
Sounds like we’re pretty much built the exact same. My waist is 32/33 depending on the brand. We’re about the same size. I’m weighing in at 165 right now. If I get any heavier I always feel awful.

I’ve always exercised all of my life. Lately I have developed arthritis in my R: knee & both hips. So it has slowed me down but it hasn’t stopped me.

I always thought the New Year’s resolutions for eating right were kind of dumb, but for 2022 I started January 1 and have lost 100 pounds. Definitely going to keep on with it, as I obviously don’t want to gain it back. I’ve gained back like 3 pounds between a road trip to Oregon and back and Christmas family gatherings. It’ll be gone shortly.

I always thought the New Year’s resolutions for eating right were kind of dumb
I’ve always tried to just make changes when I realize that I need to make changes, now is always the right time to start, but life keeps derailing me from staying on track.

I’ve always tried to just make changes when I realize that I need to make changes, now is always the right time to start, but life keeps derailing me from staying on track.
That’s how I thought, but it worked out too well with eating. The holidays were over and something just clicked, it worked out well.

That’s how I thought, but it worked out too well with eating. The holidays were over and something just clicked, it worked out well.
I keep getting derailed from work, I like my field, but get sucked in, work late hours. Messes up the following day, which just keeps repeating…

I dont diet but I do stop "grazing" that means no snacks after dinner except a fruit or a yogurt which includes only one fruit, no more nuts (and sometimes cheese) or whole wheat crackers as I dont eat junk food.
As soon as I stop grazing my weight drops, Im pretty good about my weight but this Nov/Dec did get the better of me with the grazing. Im done and will be back to buy proper BMI soon.
More or less, if I am not at my proper BMI then I dont deserve anything more.

I don't do diets, just lifestyle changes, and I never associate them with a New Year resolution. It's clear to me as we come up on OMG there's no room in the gym because of all the New Year resolution people are here and that the fact that things will be back to normal by mid-February, that this practice has a low probability of success as far as lifestyle changes. I think this happens because people aren't looking at it seriously as a lifestyle change and instead just something to get to some arbitrary goal like a specific weight.

I was just thinking the other day as I left the gym, 8 years into never missing more than 2 weeks, sore, and feeling a little depleted, how different I look at it now vs 10 years ago. I have no goals that represent some point at which I can stop. I used to set specific goals like I want to bench 225 for 4 sets of 10 and think I'll reach that and then just "cruise" there. Then I'd get there and the new goal just became 235, then 245, 255. Then I stopped thinking about it in terms of what I needed to do to get to a point where I can stop or cruise and this evolved into the goal is just more, always more. Not just heavier weights but sometimes it means working on athletic ability or stamina etc. In the end, it really is just to keep going and doing it.

So my recommendation is to make a lifestyle change. You can set some arbitrary weight goal but don't get caught up in doing extreme things to get there with ideas that once you reach it you're good and can just go back to what got you there. Set realistic lifestyle changes in motion with the goal of continuing them forever, regardless of weight or your mini goals.
Excellent, my thoughts exactly. Diets dont work simply because people go off diets. A lifestyle change is a new lifestyle.
I too go to the gym, Orange Theory but I dont go there to burn off calories or lose weight (which granted is their marketing to the population). I go there to keep my heart healthy and actually stronger than ever. It's the cardio I go for but much like the lifestyle change this also leads to a build up of muscle mass which is pretty cool. Dont misunderstand, I am not a weight lifter but just all around healthy as I can be that is in my control.

I look forward to going to the workouts and already looking forward to tomorrow morning and feel great running my heart rate up to my age appropriate rate but maybe since a heart procedure last month I seem to almost get to a peak of someone almost 30 years younger than me. Before the procedure I was taking a dangerous heart rhythm drug (Flecainide) that was holding me back, before that a beta blocker (metoprolol) , it was like your pushing yourself, your brain is trying to tell your body to work harder but your body wouldnt. Same exact feel as driving with the emergency brake in your car on. Anyway, no more drugs since the procedure (cardiac ablation) and feel like I have been unleashed and the full encouragement of my doctors to go for it.
I try to moderate and pay attention but give it one push to see what I can do. I hit 182 BPM as a peak this week and honestly really should hold it down to 143 to 160 ish. A one hour session average is around 140 BPM

Ive been on a quest, to keep at bay a bad family history of diabetes and heart disease. I actually enjoy the lifestyle, even going out to dinner now, gosh the garbage on most menus .. but with luck there is always a choice to avoid anything fried and eat basic proteins like fish ect.

Last edited:
My oncologist told me to listen to my cardiologist. That if I died of heart trouble she was gonna kill me. I had lost 35 lbs over a couple yrs, just by putting the fork down sooner. Cardiologist wanted me to get a bypass for an artery that was clogged. I was hesitant. I was still healing from lung surgery done in '21. She told me that what was keeping that part of heart going were smaller vessels that were developing to help the situation. I started encouraging this growth with a life style change. Walking. I started back in June, struggling to do a 20 minute mile. Ive ramped up to 3.something in just over an hour. Only days off are due to commitments. I'm down to 190 and my knees have stopped bothering me. :cool:

I started going to a nutrition heath (DR and nutritionist) office just before Christmas. So will be shifting from counting calories to focusing on carbs and trying to get saturated fat to the bare minimum. And some weight lifting in addition to walking. If diet & exercise alone does not help then a Rx may be considered.

I figure I have 35 lbs to loose to get to 180.

I would think that it must be way more difficult to lose weight if retired... I mean with all the free time around, you are going to eat more. If I'm going to work, it's actually reasonably easy to skip breakfast and lunch. Not so much on weekends.

I would think that it must be way more difficult to lose weight if retired... I mean with all the free time around, you are going to eat more. If I'm going to work, it's actually reasonably easy to skip breakfast and lunch. Not so much on weekends.
I think it depends. My job has me in front a computer 8-10 hours a day (plus I spend way too much time online outside of work, lol). If I was retired and could then put big blocks of time into hours doing whatever, I'd be hiking, biking, doing things in the yard. Not scrounging for 15 here or there.

Skipping meals is not a great way to loose weight. Although some suggest intermittent fasting can be a good way to loose weight. Not all agree. Better to eat three meals but they should be proper meals. With respect to calories, carbs, added sugar, saturated fat.

Not changing anything.

Eat anything I want in moderation.

Have been working out ( free weights ) about 16 days a month since a teenager ( now age 58 in July ) but no cardio. I hate gym cardio. Started walking 1 hour per day a few years ago.

The biggest bozos I see in the gym are people who are addicted to their phones and either text or look at social media while taking long rests between sets on equipment.

They really get on my nerves.

Those types are in the gym year round.

Edit: Only supplements.....creatine and Vitamin D.

Last edited:
😄 my wife always tells me I need to gain weight. If you want to lose weight get a Husky puppy. The dog won't leave me alone unless I walk him for 1-2hrs every single day

Attachments

• 20221223_154207.jpg
    20221223_154207.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 5
I plan on eating better than I have been lately. The exercise part I do on a regular basis so I have that part down. I work out at home so it's a lot easier to stay consistent.

Ounces are lost in the gym and pounds in the kitchen. Of course exercise is good, weight bearing and cardio but eating less carbs, saturated fat, and smaller portions is ideal.
It's mostly diet. ( type of food eaten/avoid ).

Agreed, not eating too much.

Of course weight resistance training (muscle burns more calories, stronger bones, helps slow muscle loss as age ) and cardio help, but it's mostly diet ( and genetics ).

If anyone is interested, interesting article on evidence based weight loos by an MD PhD:

To whet your appetite, here are some of the key takeaways:

• Shift the emphasis from restriction to positive “eat more” messaging of increasing intake of healthy, low-calorie-density foods.
  • Starting your meal with water-rich foods, such as fruits and vegetables, may lead to fewer overall calories consumed.
  • Two teaspoons of vinegar with each meal may lead to weight loss.
  • Such spices as garlic powder, black cumin, regular cumin, cayenne pepper, and ginger powder may result in reductions in both weight and the waistline.
  • Bumping up fiber intake leads to more calorie loss through waste flushed down the toilet.
  • The membranes in leafy green vegetables, such as spinach, can boost appetite-suppressing hormones.
  • Fiber from whole foods feeds our gut bacteria, which dial down our appetite while increasing the rate at which we burn fat and, at the same time, boosting our metabolism.
  • The exact same number of calories consumed at breakfast are significantly less fattening than the same number of calories eaten at dinner.
  • A few hours of missed sleep per week may obstruct fat loss.

Back