whining steering rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 SVT Contour. As I'm parking and turning the steering wheel I hear a whine. It's not coming from the pump, definitely from the rack. Somedays it seems to go away, but there's no rhyme or reason to it that I can tell. Could be quiet or whiny when cold, quiet or whiny when hot.

I don't hear it while driving.

I've already done a fluid change with regular Mercon ATF (spec for this car).

What would cause a whine type sound from the rack? Is something binding?

I thought about synthetic fluid, but I've read someone who claimed he switched to synthetic ATF and blew out some PS system seals but I don't know if there's any truth in that. Seems fishy.

Since I don't want to keep this car too much longer, is there an additive worth trying?

Thanks.

I just read in another thread, a poster claimed that thicker fluid would decrease whine. Is this true of rack whine? And if so, what are some of the thicker ATFs out there?

Low tire pressure or sticky ball joints, tie rod ends, or strut mount bearings can cause binding that will overload a PS system and make it make noise.

Saying a Ford's power steering sounds loud is like saying the sky's blue... they have uniquely designed pumps that I don't understand how anyone can tolerate.

You can certainly try some additives... nothing to lose. Maybe they'll disclose if it's a viscosity issue or something else.

Tire pressure is great, front end is in great shape (yes it's been professionally looked over), and since I've owned the car for 8 years and 90k miles since it was new, I know what the pump sounds like. (And, by the way, it doesn't sound any louder than my GM or my Nissan, but that's besides the point.)

The whine is definitely from the rack. Not the pump.

So back to my question: anyone who knows the ins and outs of racks, how can viscosity affect their operation? Is it as simple as, the rack has worn a bit, and current fluid does not maintain an adequate layer of film between friction parts?

And if so - what ATF would you recommend to thicken things up a bit?

Thanks.

I wanted to bring everyone up to speed.

The first thing I tried was just draining the reservoir, and replacing the fluid with Castrol DEX-III. I did a few quarts worth and waited a few weeks for results. No change.

Next I tried one bottle of Lucas PS additive. When the pump sucked in that thick sludge, the whole engine shook a bit for a second! Scared me big time. Waited a few days, no change. (Bottle says results are immediate.)

Next, I did 3 reservoir drain & fills using Royal Purple Synthetic ATF. So far, so VERY GOOD! Been a month and I haven't heard the noise.

This is the second time my car has been "saved" by Royal Purple products. The first time, I was having a rough time finding the perfect MTX fluid. Tried a lot of combinations, including regular stuff, RedLine, Ford. All had their issues. The Royal Purple has given me the best blend of cold-shift ability and hot-temp feel.

They have a goofy name I think, but their products have proven themselves to me.

PT1,

If you are looking for RP fluids yourself, they should have the full line at the Summit Racing retail store near Akron.

Quote:

PT1,

If you are looking for RP fluids yourself, they should have the full line at the Summit Racing retail store near Akron.

DOH!!!
pat2.gif

Good deal! That seems to be the name of the game with Ford power rack and pinion systems; Find the PS Fluid that makes yours quiet(er). Valvoline Maxlife red bottle ATF quieted my 2001 Windstar's system considerably. It's still loud when cold though, and this is after a new pump and rack, etc.

Joel

The real test for my p/s pump will be this Winter. But I am sold on this fluid. The noise went away so quickly it was dramatic.

I have had alot of luck by flushing a ford power steering system with Mercon V.

The fords that came with mercon V in the transmission, came with mercon V in the power steering rack from the factory, and they spec'ed MERCON on the owners manual.

Deffinitely worth a shot, I have fixed a couple mid 90's thunderbirds by doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back