Which temperature should rise faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I have an 88 corvette. When I start out with a cold engine, the water temps will rise faster than the oil temps. I would think this would be the opposite. Eventually, they both even out, but the water always comes up first. Maybe I need to clean my oil temp sender, as the previous owner did not use synthetic oils.

J

That is totally correct. On all cars the water always reaches operating temp much faster than the oil. I had an 84 Corvette and noticed the same thing. I also have a friend who used to own an 88 Vette and I noticed the same on his. Same with my dad's 1991 Audi. Every car I've ever seen with an oil temp gauge will show that the oil temp takes longer.

You should also find that once both come up to temperature, they will read about the same on the highway, but once you get stuck in stop and go, the oil temp goes higher than the coolant.

Thank you very much for the information guys. Most appreciated.
cheers.gif

And that is why its the oil that needs to be hot before leaning on your engine. Seen so many sprintcar engines go bang in 'hot laps' and you know the oil was still cold even though water temp OK.

Actually my OT is a little higher on the highway. But then I turn almost 4k @80mph. Doesn't go up at all in traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back