which phone to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are going to switch to sprints framily plan.
its a new thing.
so im going to actually do an easy pay option.
question is which phone should I get?
I currently have the iphone 5 I just replaced the battery an hour ago my wife wants my phone so I put a new battery In it since the original was getting pretty lousy.
the battery was harder to replace than it needed to be!!
Wouldnt mind switching to android. Iphones work good but are boring.
whats a good phone to get?
ive heard of the lg g2 the note line ect
little leary of lg their older phones were junk are they better now?
All advice is appreciated.

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/smartphones/

"Last Updated: January 2, 2014
Updated to note that the unlocked price of the Moto X has been cut from $500 to $400, making it a great deal on every carrier. The Nexus 5 is still $50 cheaper, and it works on three of the four major US carriers (Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T), so it's still our pick for the best unlocked phone, especially if you're planning on buying first and switching carriers later. Otherwise, the Moto X is now an even better deal. There's also a $100 Verizon Moto G coming to Best Buy this month."

J
Originally Posted By: ram_man
its a new thing.
I currently have the iphone 5 I just replaced the battery an hour ago my wife wants my phone so I put a new battery In it since the original was getting pretty lousy.

I want my phone to be kinda boring. If I want surprises I'll eat a fortune cookie or watch a movie.

Bedsides the iPhone I'd go for one of the Andraid phones that Google releases instead of one the handset maker has 'improved'.

BSW

I have no ides if the deal is still available but I got my Samsung Galaxy S4 at Staples, it only cost one cent but I had to renew my contract with Verizon. It's a really good phone, paired up nicely with the Blue Tooth radio in my truck. My wife has a Galaxy S3, it's a good phone too. No matter what phone you get, be sure to get a good cover and screen protector for it. We both have the Otterbox and it has saved us both several times already when we dropped our phones.

I'm real happy with my Moto X as well (on Ting which uses the Sprint network). Doesn't have much bloat going on, battery life is great. It's about the right size for me too, I don't like the 5" jumbophone trend.

I'd go for the unlimited moto x deal on republic wireless.
or the nexus 5 on ting

Nexus 5 is a nice phone. You get the Android experience with out the extras from the manufacturer. This works well for me, like windows, I enjoy the stock version over the manufacturers version with all the add-ons. It's fast, screen is very nice, I find it much more sensitive than my Samsung Infuse. Really nothing to complain about.

As a side note, I put a Spigen Neo Hybrid case on it which is nice as well. Nice looking, sleek and doesn't add a lot dimmensionally to the phone.

The Samsung Galaxy III or 4 are really good.I have the GalaxyIII with an Otterbox "commuter" 2 piece case. Excellent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
J
Originally Posted By: ram_man
its a new thing.

I want my phone to be kinda boring. If I want surprises I'll eat a fortune cookie or watch a movie.

Bedsides the iPhone I'd go for one of the Android phones that Google releases instead of one the handset maker has 'improved'.

BSW

I"m assuming you mean the "nexus _" models?
from the wikipedia:
"Google Nexus is a line of mobile devices co-developed by Google and several original equipment manufacturer partners, that run the Android operating system. Devices in the Nexus series do not have manufacturer or wireless carrier modifications to Android (such as custom graphical user interfaces), and have an unlockable bootloader to allow further development and end-user modification. Nexus devices are the first Android devices to receive updates to the operating system."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Nexus

but Google DOES now make their own phone hardware, since they bought the Mobile phone arm of Motorola. with the Moto X being the first love child of that union.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Nexus 5 is a nice phone. You get the Android experience with out the extras from the manufacturer. This works well for me, like windows, I enjoy the stock version over the manufacturers version with all the add-ons. It's fast, screen is very nice, I find it much more sensitive than my Samsung Infuse. Really nothing to complain about.

As a side note, I put a Spigen Neo Hybrid case on it which is nice as well. Nice looking, sleek and doesn't add a lot dimmensionally to the phone.

+1 for the Nexus 5. I have had mine since it came out. Its at least 5X better than my old Motorola Droid 2 G.

But what is Spring. Aren't they CDMA like Verizon? I have never had Sprint, but I thought I read that.

Last edited:
Sprint is CDMA, so no easy swapping SIM cards etc. That said some of their phones can be used overseas w/ a SIM (my Evo Design 4G was a world phone) but will be locked in the US.

My wife loves her LG g2, but she's only had it since the end of November, so I can't comment on durability or issues with it. She hasn't had any problems yet. The battery life is amazing. Myself, I got a Nokia 925 for Christmas and love it so far. I dont think I'll ever go back to an android phone. The operating system works so smooth, no lag what so ever. Something's, like texting pictures require a few more steps than my Samsung II s did, but over all I like it much better. He new crop of android phones, such as my wife's LG, have so many apps that I have no use for and they just seem so cluttered. I just like the layout of windows 8 better and the way it works, not to mention the ability to customize it. And so far, I've been able to find every app I need. The only real downside is battery life....its not as good as the new crop of smartphones, but just as good as my previous II s, so it doesn't really bother me. And unlike most, windows does update their OS. My phone updated twice when I got it to the "amber" software, and I just got an email the the new "black" software will be coming out soon once approved. Intact I think its available for at&t's nokias now ( I've got t-mobile). I don't know if sprint has the Lumia 1020, but I'd recommend that over my phone for the better battery, memory, camera, and extra features over my 925. Windows looks scary at first glance, but I found it easy to learn, caught on after the first couple days with it, and now I love it.

My Galaxy Nexus, which was first activated early morning day of release, is starting to show its age enough to where I am looking for a new phone. Unfortunately, while the pre-smartphone LG's were awesome, I really don't like their, or Motorola's, implementation of Android nor am I happy with the physical package of the phones themselves.
Thus, Samsung is my favorite, by a large margin.

Yet, despite the fact that the Galaxy Nexus was the best selling Nexus device for a year after its release, Google made a mistake and is teaming w other companies.

The phone I'm about 100pct certain on is the Note 3, since I use my phone constantly (all but maybe a dozen, at most, posts here were made from my phone, this included). The tech is solid, the SoC very powerful, and the phone/screen is absolutely stunningly gorgeous.

But WHY can't I get it with Vanilla Android???

I always run rooted, ROM'd, and with a custom kernel, and the Note 3 just makes it more difficult to do so.

The other PITA thing is that, since I have been moving around a lot, I decided to go without any traditional Internet service. Since I am grandfathered into Unlimited 4G, and have been literally in the center of 4 towers' overlap, I get insanely good speeds and very low ping (39-52Mbps down, 19-26Mbps up, 13-22ms ping). Thus, I am using the wirelessttethering for all my Internet needs, and it's faster than a cable line short of paying well into 3 figures a month.
I average anywhere from 170 to 350 gigabytes of data used per month, because I pay for it so I'm going to use it.

The downside is that I can not let VZW activate a new phone for me w/o losing the data plan, which I am so steadfast in refusing to give up (over a decade and tens of thousands of dollars paid to the company, so no way in hades), I would consider finding a lawyer and even just hitting them with a nuisance suit.

Ugh, I just cannot pay for limited data!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back