which modem /router combo to use

i have been using this modem/router combo. https://arris.secure.force.com/cons...ail?p=a0ha000000TnUNfAAN&c=SURFboard Gateways

Even though it capable of phone , i only use if for internet

Recently was given a modem and router by a friend moving out of state . modem is a Sb6183 https://www.surfboard.com/products/cable-modems/sb6183/ and a TP link ac4000 router https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c4000/

would there be any performance advantage go to the tplink combo? i only have 100 mps comcast at my house.

Are you experiencing any performance issues with your current setup? If not, I'd leave it as is. But technically a separate modem and router devices should be better.

Your current modem has 24 x 8 channels and the new one is only 16 x 4.

I had a very similar TP-Link router and had to return it, for some reason the thermostat just wouldn't connect to it.

It can also be a pain to get the cable company to swap modems on your account.

My rule of thumb is to avoid combo devices. Get a 16 channel or better Docsis 3.0 or 3.1 modem and then get a router that fits your needs. If you have a combo device already and it's 24 channels like someone else stated, then just leave well enough alone.

That is good equipment. If you're paying Comcast rent on the gateway you have, you can return it and save a few dollars. Also it won't clutter the airwaves with "xfinitywifi" you may not want to share, though there is a way to opt out of that on the company provided box.

Yes, you will definitely see an improvement in performance, distance and speed.
Its really easy to try out.
Call Spectrum, tell them you are switching out your modem, Give them your new MAC Id and while you are on the phone they will confirm its working. You dont really have to connect your devices right away, they can test it on their end.
If you dont like it (which you will) you can always switch back.

To me, its a no brainer, your friend gave you good stuff, use it. Once you return your own router/modem to Spectrum you will get a $5 a month discount since you no longer need their router which they charge $5 a month for.

Spectrum hasn't charged for a gateway in years. I let them give me equipment. Why purchase a gateway that they will not support if there is trouble with it? However they are charging for enabling wifi on the device. It's funny because every spectrum device I have been issued has default passwords on it, so you can turn it on yourself on the gateway.

Anyways I use my own router so i shut it all off on the gateway and bridge to the router.

ok i am going to try the new combo out. i read that since i only have 100 mps internet , the extra channels in the modem don't really make a difference. I've changed modems in the past and it can either be a breeze or a pita depending on comcast.

what i am hoping for is a little more range because my modem is at one end of the house.

Spectrum hasn't charged for a gateway in years. I let them give me equipment. Why purchase a gateway that they will not support if there is trouble with it? However they are charging for enabling wifi on the device. It's funny because every spectrum device I have been issued has default passwords on it, so you can turn it on yourself on the gateway.

Anyways I use my own router so i shut it all off on the gateway and bridge to the router.
Spectrum charges for the wifi router and if a combo unit the wifi service from it in South Carolina.
You will be charged $5 a month if you don’t have your own router whether people look at their bills or not I can’t say

That is true. On a 100Mb subscription they may only have you provisioned for 8+3 channels. Also if 3.1 is running in your area, they are taking away bandwidth from 3.0 users and moving those with fast subscriptions to require a 3.1 modem.

With a two box setup the wifi router doesn't have to be next to the modem. You can use Ethernet cable to move it more toward the center of the house, or close to where people need the fastest wifi. (Of course you could also have extended the coaxial cable to move the modem).

Spectrum charges what the market will bear-- I would not be surprised if their modems were free here and rental there. Owning my own modem puts me in a position where they don't "accidentally" start charging me rent again.

Having more channels available may be an advantage if there's neighborhood congestion or interference on the line, but 16 should be plenty anyway.

Spectrum charges what the market will bear-- I would not be surprised if their modems were free here and rental there. Owning my own modem puts me in a position where they don't "accidentally" start charging me rent again.

Having more channels available may be an advantage if there's neighborhood congestion or interference on the line, but 16 should be plenty anyway.
Let’s not confuse the word modem and router. Modems are free as they have to give you a device to access the internet since you are buying the service.
Routers are $5 a month because it’s not needed to Access the internet.
This a gov regulation making providers give a modem with their service but they do not have to give you a router and in spectrums case charges for routers on a monthly basis or you buy your own and not have to pay an extra $5 a month or more for the rest of your life.
I see the OP has already made a decision with charter. It’s not going to be as good as the TP Link but we all got to do what works for us!

I haven't checked Spectrum's details in the Buffalo area in years, but they always used to charge a monthly equipment fee and you had to use their modem/router if you use their land line phone service.

I've been rocking a TP link CR700 for years. At least at the time, this particular modem/router was on their approved list for bring your own routers.

That's the main thing to me. Make sure what you are buying is on your provider's approved list.

I've been rocking a TP link CR700 for years. At least at the time, this particular modem/router was on their approved list for bring your own routers.

That's the main thing to me. Make sure what you are buying is on your provider's approved list.
This is where people keep mixing up the words modem and router. Your device was on the approved list for bring your own "modem"

IN your case you choose to have a combination unit that was a modem and router but internet providers do not in anyway care what kind of router that you use and router brand is not required. So being the TP link modem was compatible is all that mattered.

It makes sense to have the cable company provide you with a modem, why not? IT doesnt cost anything, if it goes bad they replace it free too, however you are much, much better off purchasing your own router, you can get much higher quality and range and the internet provider pays for it indirectly because your not paying an extra $5 a month renting one of theirs.

I also own but dont use my own modem anymore and its a recent good one, cable company had to do some work at the house/in the street/down the road, since it doesnt cost anything I told them to put their own modem in. Which I have my Motorola Router connected to.

Reactions: JTK
This is where people keep mixing up the words modem and router. Your device was on the approved list for bring your own "modem"
Being a combo device, it's basically the same thing, so I'd give him a pass on using "modem/router" followed by "bring your own router", at least he checked and was aware enough to check.

The verbiage tossed around for consumer devices is already sufficiently dilute. If we are going to get pedantic, most modern home routers are SOC combo devices with an integrated AP, switch and router/gateway function baked into a common PCB. "Back in the day" these were often separate components housed within a given chassis, sometimes on multiple PCB's. It wasn't uncommon for the AP portion to be on a separate daughterboard for example and the switch and gateway sharing a PCB but with separate chipsets.

Most home routers act predominantly like gateways, doing SPI and NAT, but not providing the advanced features that would classify them as a modern firewall. They do very little, if any, routing, which is literally just the shuffling of similar traffic between networks (what happens on the internet without NAT/PAT). Where things get muddy is that modern routers can do a lot of the functions we'd expect a gateway to do and most gateways can route, meaning they are able to do a lot of the functions that routers do, but they are both typically missing some feature sets from the other. Then you add firewalls that can typically do both as well, for example my MX67 can route between VLAN's, I can create ACL's, it does stateful PAT, but also does deep packet inspection....etc. But it can't do MPLS or some other router-specific features. So a firewall can be a router and a gateway but most routers can't be real firewalls but can be gateways and many home gateways can't be routers (as configured, no VLAN capability, no ability to shuffle packets between similar networks). Though when I was in school, NAT/PAT was classified as a form of (weak) firewalling, so it depends on how you view those definitions a bit.

Anyways, I"m rambling and this is getting long winded, but you take a commercial router like a 2940 ISR and you have the core router chassis which consists of three dedicated (non-switched) Gig-E ports that can be setup individually with myriad VLAN's and you can control the traffic between them using ACL's. You can also choose to implement NAT/PAT, heck, you can spin up VRF's and create multiple virtual routers on the same hardware, but the point is that at the core, you only have physical ethernet interfaces tied to a single function (router).

Yes, If you want to add something like WiFi, ADSL2+, VDSL2, switch ports, T1, PBX functionality, these are all separate cards that attach (plug-in) to the router, which is why it is called an ISR (Integrated Services Router), as it has the capability to expand its functionality beyond being just a router via extensibility as part of physical chassis. But each of these components has its own function and is called out as such in the configuration.

The consumer realm has adapted the term "router" to describe, by way of simplification, something that would probably best be described as an integrated services gateway. Because so many functions are already baked into one system, whether it has a modem as part of it or not doesn't really change the classification, it's more about calling out the distinction for ISP compatibility and whether a separate modem will be required or not. So, if an ISP has a list of approved devices and some of those devices are dedicated (stand-alone) modems and others are combo gateways (which most consumers will call routers) I don't think it's a significant enough transgression to call out if, when referring to the combo device in relation to the ISP's compatibility matrix, somebody says router, as in the case above.

Heck, we have an ISP that will give you a "modem" that's actually an integrated services gateway. Some of the techs refer to them as "WiFi modems" implying the additional functionality, so even the ISP's are butchering the terminology, lol. Another ISP (Bell) gives out their "Home hubs" (often referred to as modems) which include not only an integrated DSL modem but also an ONT, and will split out TV and phone, which are each on their own VLAN, as well as providing WiFi, switch, router and of course gateway functionality :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, I wrote a novel, but these consumer combo devices have really butchered the terminology and the ISP's aren't helping.

Being a combo device, it's basically the same thing, so I'd give him a pass on using "modem/router" followed by "bring your own router", at least he checked and was aware enough to check.

Anyways, I wrote a novel, but these consumer combo devices have really butchered the terminology and the ISP's aren't helping.
The reason I try VERY hard to point out the difference to people is here in the United States people think they need to pay for their "router" from the cable company.
They see one unit provided by the cable company and think they need it. They do not understand they only need one unit that looks just like it, called a modem and then can buy their own router and not be held hostage to a monthly rental charge for something far inferior to what one can purchase on their own.

Yes, the terminology is butchered and not only are the ISP's not helping, its to their benefit to keep the public dumbed down as much as they can for profits. Its really up to people to take charge, gosh we all know the basics are a few keystrokes in your favorite search engine but much of the population will never bother.
They dont even understand what is on their monthly bills and with autopay, they dont even look, in a way that is good for people who do check, as long as profits are good for the company we also benefit by those who pay more then they need too.

My rule of thumb is to avoid combo devices. Get a 16 channel or better Docsis 3.0 or 3.1 modem and then get a router that fits your needs. If you have a combo device already and it's 24 channels like someone else stated, then just leave well enough alone.
I too have issues with the all in one units and also the ones you get from the internet provider they are all junk. At work they had me pickup an Arris Surfboard all in one and I was against the idea but was cheaper than buying the modem along with a router so they wanted to go the cheaper route, it's still fairly new but I'm having to power cycle it at least once every month or so, the wired part works great and never goes out but the wireless will let you connect but doesn't pass any traffic until you reset the thing. I wouldn't go with the 6183 as it's on it's way out, I had purchased one years ago from Walmart but when Comcast tried to provision it for me they tried telling me it was a used modem and out of date but was brand new when I opened the box.

You'll really have to watch your bandwidth speeds, when I upgraded my service from 300mb to 1gb I had to upgrade my modem and also my router ended up being the bottleneck again as most routers can't really passthrough gigabit speeds, I had ran into this before when I upgraded from an old Linksys router that was limiting it to around 200mb so I bought a Ubiquiti that is more of a commercial grade unit but now was limited to around 700mb which doesn't work very well now that I've upgraded my service.

When you rent the equipment all you get is junk that barely works half the time and end up paying a monthly fee just to use it, all the money I have saved from renting their stuff has more than paid for itself and has easily paid for everything that I've had to purchase.

Back