Which HDEO are FA-4 rated? Concern for motorcycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summer I started using Delvac Super 15w-40 in our CTX700 and Vstrom 1000 with good results. I used Valvoline Premium Blue in the V Strom once and that was fine too. From what I'm reading I don't have to be too concerned with the CK-4 rating since it works for the CJ rating also but the FA-4 is new to me. If I'm understanding it's a new efficiency rating for newer diesel engines but theoretically could or might affect shared sump motorcycles. I live in Michigan and once we start riding again I thought about trying Delo 400 because it looks like it has a better CCS and pour point than the others.

I'm looking at the PDS for Delvac 1300 Super, Delo 400 and RT4 but I'm not seeing anything about FA-4 and I don't keep up on this stuff enough to know which formulations might have changed since last year.

Would the FA-4 be on the bottle anywhere? Do any of you know what brands and/or weights meet this rating?

Thanks

AFAIK there is no 40wt fa-4

its all thinner such as 5w30 or 10w30

The whole point of fa-4 is better fuel economy with oil for new diesels designed for thinner oil.

in a shared sump motorcycle the spec to look for is JASO MA2 to make sure it has the proper friction characteristics

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Why not use motorcycle oil and forget about it?

I just might. I was apprehensive about using HDEO to begin with but my wife and I have about 15k miles combined using HDEO last season without any issues. It was more affordable and the shear stability made sense to me for shared sump bikes. Will MC cause our bikes to explode? No. If there is a more affordable oil out there that does an equal or better job I'd like to continue using it. That said I know the way of the world is to continue searching for more efficiency and there is the ever increasingly strict regulations for emissions.

If things continue to change, become more risky or become more confusing I'll go back to using an MC oil. Probably Valvoline conventional 10w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back