Which Car to Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to turn in my Aveo Tuesday(GM is buying it back). I have narrowed my choices to the Scion-XA or the Hyundai Elantra hatchback.
So whatcha think ?

quote:

Originally posted by klingon20:
I have to turn in my Aveo Tuesday(GM is buying it back). I have narrowed my choices to the Scion-XA or the Hyundai Elantra hatchback.
So whatcha think ?

From what I have heard they are both competent, decent quality vehicles. Buy the one that will make you smile the most while you sit in it driving it for the next few thousand hours.

Go with the Elantra.
30k miles on wifey's Elantra(2003)...we're very satisfied; great car; lots of standard items...and looks good, and fast, too.
you'll even get vvti with '04 and up.

we also get about 38 mpg highway.

Both are good choices based on definitive reliability reports by consumers magazine. Which one would I recommend you buy? Hyundai pro's: acceptable reliabilty now (previously I would not have touched one),0% financing,probably more "bang for your buck" in terms of Standard features and "goodies". Only negative thing about Hyundai is the inferior gas mileage versus the Scion-XA or most other cars in that segment. Scion-XA pro's: Tops in reliabilty,great gas mileage. The only negative comment I would have against Scion is the finance interest charge (not 0% like Hyundai). Forgot to mention that Hyundai has a better warranty than Scion - not that it really matters due to the outstanding reliability of the Scion.

Any Thoughts or Comments on Cars Direct.com.
There Prices seem to be at fleet cost.

Thanks for all the replys

We bought an Elantra on Carsdirect.com in 2001. Thumbs way up on carsdirect; way down on the Elantra.

In 40k miles, the car went through a long block (piston slap), cracked exhaust manifold, battery, coil pack, EGR valve, front wheel bearings, and countless headlight bulbs. The tradein value was approximately that of pocket lint.

Go with the Scion, if you can find one with $2k of dealer-installed floor mats, shift knobs, and neon dash lights.

mr

I have a 2005 Scion xB. This was a replacement for a 1983 Toyota Cressida- the Cressida model a few years later became the original Lexus models. The Scion xA & xB are 'mono' builds with just about everything on the basic model. When I compare what was on the 83 Cressida to the 05 Scion xB, what the difference is is leather seats and automatic temp control, but I gained on the xb traction control/stability control- same amount of interior space. Scion is marketed to the younger crowd, but its selling to older people very well- I am 60 years old. Look at the Scion xA or xB - they are Toyotas and I expect they wil run forerver!

quote:

So whatcha think ?

I think you should take anuddah' peek at the Corolla.

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
No big deal but I believe the Cressida evolved into the Camry.

Cressida and Camry co-existed in 1983 (1st Camry year). Cressida was rwd, old design, and no blood realation to the Camry which was Toyotas first East-West fwd. I had one of the first 30,000 Camrys built. It gave our family 230k+ miles of very trouble free service.

1st Toyota East-West fwd, all new engine, all new transmission, all new chassis structure....Try getting that kind of reliability from a GM product that only has one new major subsystem.

XS650,
there was a rumour circulating down here that the camry 4 cyl was an evolution of the triumph stag V-8.

(I think maybe the angle had something to do with it)

My parents in law beat one to death, then gave it to a local struggling family with it running a block full of chemiweld (father in law boiled it pretty badly quite a few times - paper runs stop for nothing).

Still went a few years after that.

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
No big deal but I believe the Cressida evolved into the Camry.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the poster meant that the Scion was a replacement for HIS/HER Cressida.....
wink.gif

quote:

Made a decision, the Hyundia Elantra GT 13,954 out the door.
That seems to be a competative price.

Good choice!!!
it's a fine car.
wish you lots of fun/miles with the GT.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
XS650,
there was a rumour circulating down here that the camry 4 cyl was an evolution of the triumph stag V-8.

(I think maybe the angle had something to do with it)

Sounds like a rumo(u)r. By 1983 Toyota was doing it's own very good engine design.

The did use some license built engines earlier, like the Chevy 6 variant in the early Land Crushers.

Spend the extra coin and get the Acura RSX hatchback, with the 160 Hp, DOHC engine. Get a Certified, PreOwned (CPO) one if you can't afford a brand new one....

In ten years, you'll still have a vehicle worth keeping that has excellent resale value....

You buy cheap, you get cheap....

Tooslick

though I agree with tooslick to some extent, my experiences with acura are that they arent willing to price negotiate, and seem to be more stuck up than the BMW, Saab and MB dealers that I frequent. "oh, our cars are built superior to any others, and for the content versus the price, we feel theyre very accurately priced as is"

Appears to me that every schmuck goes in to lease one at full retail price, thinking that theyre showing off with their acura - their rebadged honda. Make sure if you consider the acura route, a great choice, to not get priced too high.

But if you can find a deal, a base RSX will be a great bet. I found that after my MB was smashed, the three acura dealers I went to in doing extensive car searching were the worst experiences of all. The only thing comprable was in attempting to get a deal on a VW TDI or civic hybrid.

Id say to look at the RSX. Also consider the corolla. Though we had a lousy experience with ours, many have good experiences, and they last a long time. 41 MPG highway with MT is nothing to scoff at either. Similarly, a loss leader civic may be a good choice.

Dont get swayed by the fact that a hyundai has power windows, doors and leather seats. Guess what? Its still an economy car. And its all well and good as a car, I was pretty impressed when checking them out, Id just be wary of geting fancy on a super cheap car for the sake of having the fancy items, which are probably more likely to break on the cheaper car!

If the scions werent so ugly, Id say to choose one of them... but since they are, maybe a corolla or matrix would be a better toyota bet.

Probably the most important thing to consider is, how close can you get to buying the thing outright? Financing an economy car is a bad idea.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back