Which bypass filter - Frantz or Motorguard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deepsquat,

I got your email. I thought you might like the Motor Guard. It has been expensive but I am glad I brought back the lube oil filter. The guys like them. Motor Guard has been sending people to me. They are glad to have me to send people to. They don't feel that enough people are interested in continuously clean oil to make it worth their while to market them for automotive use. The lube oil people are gone now except for a few like me. I was one of their origional dealers. If the founder of the company was still around it would be different. He was very big on submicronic bypass filters for automotive use. He would have loved the Internet. Motor Guard has been successful with industrial use. They have the attitude why bother with the headaches of marketing automotive filters. They don't mind me hasseling with them
smile.gif

I sold Motor Guard filters from 1966 to 1972. I have already sold more this year than I did then. Monday I sent one to Santa Cruz, Ca, one to Alvin, TX and four to Denver, CO. It's amazing.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Ralph: I have a 1995 Ford Econoline 150 with a 351W in it. I am looking to buy myself a tp bypass system (after reading the website
smile.gif
).

My opinion from the reviews is that the Motor Guard seems to be one of the best choices. What kind of setup do you recommend since i have my full flow filter mount down below on my truck. I do have room under the hood where the 2nd battery would have went. I do not have a 2nd auxilary battery in there right now so i was thinking if i could put it in there. Is there a limit to how long of a distance to go from the full flow location to the remote bypass? I was thinking of using the Perma-Cool dual remote mount with some sort of oil guard set-up. I don't know which one though, can you help me choose one.

quote:

Originally posted by therion:
Ralph: My opinion from the reviews is that the Motor Guard seems to be one of the best choices. What kind of setup do you recommend since i have my full flow filter mount down below on my truck. I do have room under the hood where the 2nd battery would have went. I do not have a 2nd auxilary battery in there right now so i was thinking if i could put it in there. Is there a limit to how long of a distance to go from the full flow location to the remote bypass? I was thinking of using the Perma-Cool dual remote mount with some sort of oil guard set-up. I don't know which one though, can you help me choose one.

The 351w is an excellent engine. I used the extra battery tray awhile back on a Chevy pickup. I have known of people mounting the battery in the trunk and mounting the Motor Guard in the stock battery tray. It took almost 20 feet of hose to mount a Motor Guard on a one ton Ford with a 460 engine. A perfect place to mount the filter was up by the radiator on the left side. The full flow filter was on the right side of the engine. We hooked up both hoses to the Perma-Cool 181 adapter and ran the hoses to the radiator and across to the Motor Guard. It seems that every one is a new adventure.
I mounted two M-30's on the bed of a one ton Ford diesel truck. A new Ford 6.0 Pwerestroke King Ranch took 20 ft of hose. The length of the hose doesn't matter here in Texas. In cold country it will take longer to heat up the filter. I get my Perma-Cool sandwich adapters from Jegs.com. The also have Flex-A-Lite adapters. I like to use the flexalite adapters with the GM engines. The Motor Guard has always been my personal favorite. The Motor Guard requires a form roll of toilet paper 4 1/4" diameter. The Motor Guard is a compressing type of filter. A soft fluffy roll will pinch in the gasket. I tried to use a roll of White Cloud the other day. White Cloud was a recommended element in the 60's. I use Scott Kimberly Clark. Scott 1000 sheet is an excellent roll but is about 50 rounds too large. Some that were so high quality in the 60's are junk now. You want as many paper fibers as you can get for the buck.

Ralph
burnout.gif

K will since it can get kind of cold here in chicago ill try to limit my hose length. I could install it on the right side above the radiator, instead of the battery spot (its too far). I measured ~32" from the FF mount. The hose will go from the bottom right side of the engine block to the right side above the radiator.

[ January 29, 2004, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: therion ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back