Which .380 ?

Ruger has good choices, hell they even have color options that she might like. My suggestion go to a local gun store and have her handle them, and maybe find one with a shooting range that will let her use it before buying it.

I got a Walther PPK in .380 for my wife to carry. Told her it would make her a 'Bond Girl'. She didn't believe me. Kept her S&W Airweight .38 Special. The PPK is an iconic pistol.

1683495843430.jpeg

Ruger, Glock Kahr, S&W, Sig, Walther.... my Tauri and Keltecs in 380 have not been 100% and my recommendation is to avoid them.
Charter had a 380 revolver too that sometimes pops back into available every now and then.

I got a Walther PPK in .380 for my wife to carry. Told her it would make her a 'Bond Girl'. She didn't believe me. Kept her S&W Airweight .38 Special. The PPK is an iconic pistol.

View attachment 154822

I had one of those. It was compact, easy to carry, and loaded with nostalgia.

Between the Walther burn and the stove piping it was pretty close to if not the worst handgun I've owned (tied with the AMT hardballer)

I had one of those. It was compact, easy to carry, and loaded with nostalgia.

Between the Walther burn and the stove piping it was pretty close to if not the worst handgun I've owned (tied with the AMT hardballer)
LOL! The AMT .380 Backup was the worst of the lot of the .380s when I tested them. It belonged to family member who would have given it to me but I didn't want it; not even for free!
tied with the AMT hardballer
Are you talking about the .45 Longslide? I have one but never fired it. I'm told that the metal on those early stainless steel AMTs was BAD about galling and had to be kept very well lubricated.

FWIW my PPK is a very old German made, Interarms import so the newer stuff may not be as good.

Last edited:
Walther PPK is a blowback design and really uncomfortable to shoot. Had one, sold it quick. I now own a Kahr P380.
Glass smooth trigger and muted recoil. Extremely compact. I use it for pocket carry in the summer when IWB doesn’t work. Has been utterly reliable.

S@W snubbie with wadcutters
Nothing beats a wheel gun for simplicity and reliability! But NA in .380 ACP.

Jerseyguy, just make sure that your wife can cock whatever .380 you're looking at. Many of them are harder to cock and have a sharper recoil than a 9mm due to the shorter travel of the slide.

bersa thunder?
380 shield EZ?

Could also consider a 9mm revolver with lower recoil ammo.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the .45 Longslide? I have one but never fired it. I'm told that the metal on those early stainless steel AMTs was BAD about galling and had to be kept very well lubricated.

FWIW my PPK is a very old German made, Interarms import so the newer stuff may not be as good.

Yes the long slide 45.
Bought used at a gun show - classic burn. Gun was a pile.

You mention medical issue? Not going to pry--but if she starts looking at the micro 380's she may find the recoil to be awful. Maybe she won't, maybe she will, not trying to imply anything, but do a try before buy, unless if this is a last ditch sort of gun that won't get practice with.

Is this for carry or nightstand, or open carry? The less the carry need is, the better the bigger options become better--less recoil, easier to operate.

I'd fine a range where you can try out some rentals before going down a path, unless if trading around is ok for you. Some people do buy what they want, at least what they think they want, use it for a bit, buy a second gun, then realize their needs and wants change, so the first one might go away towards gun number 3. Nothing wrong with that, but best to go in eyes wide open.

Shield EZ is the one for women.

Shoots well, is easy for women to deal with, especially as they age. My wife can just barely deal with the EZ now. She used to shoot a 1911 45.

Glock 43- suggestion only. try it.
That might be a good suggestion. Particularly if you reload and can load some reduced power rounds for her. I bought a G17 when they first came out (1986 or so) and I love it and it's 100% reliable. I let someone else shoot it and they fed it .380s by mistake but they shot fine however it did shove pipe about 1 out of 3 rounds, otherwise I wouldn't have realized that they had the wrong cartridges in it. I love the fact that I can carry it anywhere and beat the hell out of it but it doesn't damage the finish. I'm really sold on the Glocks.

Wolfe or someone might be able to supply .380 power level springs for it.

FWIW a couple of the LGS here have an indoor range and you can rent a gun and shot it on their range. At least one of the LGS will let you shot any of their used guns so it would be a good way for her to try out a variety of calibers and/or guns.

Yes the long slide 45.
Bought used at a gun show - classic burn. Gun was a pile.
I'm really sorry to hear that since I have one that is still NIB! Was it a problem with the design or construction or material or was it worn out or did it have another problem?

Back