where is the Nexus 5 - GA today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the Nexus 5 was listed on Google Play for a short period of time on Fri morning. But the links did not work to be able to order it. $349.

It's official! Looks like a really great device at $349. Perfect phone to pair up with a prepaid plan for low cost, contract free phone service!

$349 and no contract?

You have my attention.

I have an older Samsung Galaxy Nexus that I'm pretty unhappy with due to its miserable battery life. So if they stepped up their game there I could purchase one of these.

As I do not really follow the cell phone industry much, can somebody provide a general list of pros and cons for getting a no contract plan. My current 2 year agreement is almost finished and I am open to other options.

Originally Posted By: Joe1

As I do not really follow the cell phone industry much, can somebody provide a general list of pros and cons for getting a no contract plan. My current 2 year agreement is almost finished and I am open to other options.

No contract is the Eurpoean model where you buy a phone for cash/credit card and then select a provider and pay the monthly fee. They are all GSM over there.

With a contract you pay $20-$25 (of your contract price) per month to cover the cost of the phone. That would be $400 to $500 for a two year contract. You will not see that broken out, but thats what it is. You really get ripped off if you keep on paying the contract price after the contract is over (and do not get a new phone). If you cancel early you pay a large fee even if you cancel 23 months into a 24 month contract.

T-Mobile is a carrier with basically no contract. You can pay for the phone up front or monthly but if you cancel you only owe the balance left. Once the phone is paid for then you just continue paying the no contract price.

There are many no contract companies. I have Consumer Cellular and they just buy cell service wholesale from AT&T and sell it to consumers. You use AT&T towers all the time. They sell a few phones or you can use any unlocked GSM phone.

Some major carriers sell no-contract service and some own subsidiaries that are no-contract companies.

Obviously you need an unlocked GSM (not 100% but likely) phone and figure out what primary company provides good cell service in your area.

I liked T-Mobile but I had to drive 20 minutes to get a signal. My current phone gets at least text msgs at my home using AT&T cell towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back