Where a 7317 won't fit

I have yet to encounter a single instance in which a 7317 filter won't fit, i.e., because of clearance issues, in place of a 7706.

Are there any applications that require the smaller 7706 due to its size? I suppose the engine could rock in its mounts and possibly hit the frame, but other than that it's baffling why they still make the 6607-sized filter.

Note that I'm not asking because I want a larger capacity filter as yes...there are multiple threads asking such.

To add insult to injury, the 6607 (Fram XG) is a dollar or so more expensive than the 7317 version at you-know-where! Side note: We don't stock 7317s at work. Everything gets a 6607 whether it likes it or not (where a 7317 came off that is, of course).

I don't know the reasons behind it but there must be some circumstances we don't think about. Nissan, for example, uses the 6607 on their VQ V6 engines in cars but in their SUVs, trucks, etc with the same engine, they use a 7317.

3593A is one size that I keep on hand as it crosses to a bunch of different filters. Lotsa Hondas, and some Nissans.

Oddly, Nissan has used both M20x 1.5 threaded filters and 3/4-16 unf threaded filters so 3593A and 3614 type filters cover most Nissan applications, at least the ones I've worked on. Not positive about late model cars

I have yet to encounter a single instance in which a 7317 filter won't fit, i.e., because of clearance issues, in place of a 6607**.

Are there any applications that require the smaller 6607** due to its size? I suppose the engine could rock in its mounts and possibly hit the frame, but other than that it's baffling why they still make the 6607-sized filter.
** edit /correction

I was looking for a bigger filter for my 2014 Rogue Select with the QR25DE engine.
The Nissan Titan and Armada V8 engine spec filter fit without issue, even though the filter was positioned horizontally. jutting out precariously towards the passenger side front wheel/tire assembly.
That crossed to the 7317 size.

Still too, IMO, small for Winter up in the north east, exhibiting cold start oiling issues and torn media on some brands.

_ Ken

I was looking for a bigger filter for my 2014 Rogue Select with the QR25DE engine.
Look up a WIX 57510. It has limited cross-references that I see (CARQUEST 84510, LUBER-FINER PH2808, Magneti Marelli 1AMFL00026).

4.8" tall
3.2" diameter
16 psi bypass (Fram 7317 is 9-15, a 6607 is 13)

Too much overthinking for my simple mind to process whatever is recommended I use if I’m not using OE filters.
Not with Nissan OE filters failing due to them cheaping out. I lost a new Note Engine with a improperly designed China sourced Nissan filter, then issues with Grupo Gonher filters on my Rogue Select due to adbv inverting (umbrella)

Nissan China O.E. fibreboard endcaps with diameter slip fit clearance to the canister I.D!
if you don't recall, pressurized lubricant coming from the oil pump must first pass around the base end endcap -

nissan filter.JPG

Here is the @Sayjac write up on a Nissan Grupo Gonher sourced OE. defect -

Back