When it comes to the throttle body...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to my throttle body, would it be wise to do it myself, or let someone handle it? I know it's something I can do myself (just need a screwdriver and a rag in my case) with some carb cleaner, but I've also been told I can take out the ecu is I even slightly overspray to poor guy...

Car in question is my Cobalt with the 2.2......

Sounds like a scare tacit to me, but I'm not a GM guy...

Why do you think it needs cleaned??? AFAIK my two 61K mi Grand Marquis have never been cleaned and run fine, I ain't touching them as long as there is no problem... I ran the two I had prior up into the 150K mi range and never cleaned those either...

I recently cleaned the TB on my Camaro. Took off the connector from the MAF and liberally sprayed it with CRC Throttle Body cleaner. I allowed at least an hour for all the cleaner to evaporate before starting the car. Had no problems at all with it damaging the electronics, but it did not cure my part-throttle hesitation.

The next step was to clean the MAF, so I bought a can of CRC MAF Cleaner and followed the instructions to the letter. The MAF is something that can be ruined if the anemometer wires get damaged. I haven't had any more MAF fault codes since cleaning it, but I have had one or two part-throttle stumbles. I'm now thinking I need to check out the PCV system more thoroughly.

That's DBW, why do you think it needs cleaned?

The last TB I had to clean was on my old Neon. Carbon would build up and cause the butterfly to stick in the closed position, so I would take it off and use some carb cleaner and a scotchbrite pad every couple of years on it.

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Why do you think it needs cleaned??? AFAIK my two 61K mi Grand Marquis have never been cleaned and run fine, I ain't touching them as long as there is no problem... I ran the two I had prior up into the 150K mi range and never cleaned those either...

It's running a 2119 engine code. The first check engine light since I have owned the car...
frown.gif

clean it with some throttle body spray and a good clean rag then start it and spray it into the throttle body while revving the engine like the old carb days.
Caution: Dont use carb cleaner on a throttle body

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: TFB1

It's running a 2119 engine code. The first check engine light since I have owned the car...
frown.gif

Get a subscription to alldatadiy and follow the FSM's instructions on troubleshooting the code.

You mean maf?

Cleaning the throttle body is quite rewarding And i highly reccomend it but if the engine has a maf, you need to eliminate all possibilities of getting that carb/throttle body cleaner on it or else youll damage it.

I do like to clean a TB with dedicated TB cleaner from time to time, MAF needs MAF only cleaner.

CRC makes a good Throttle Body cleaner and MAF cleaner
Get some rags and clean away
Be gentle and don't touch the wires of the MAF

There are MAF-safe cleaners out there that work just fine. Its best if you can disassemble and use a rag to wipe the throttle blade and interior of the TB down. That way the cleaned-off goo doesn't go on through the engine... plus its more thorough.

Some throttle plates were coated to help prevent ice formation under certain conditions.

It's this coating that people get worked up about. As a good scrubbing can supposedly remove the coating.

However, once the throttle plate is loaded up with miles of buildup, the coating is rendered inert anyway. And I've yet to find a way to clean oil, grease, dirt and so on without removing this nebulous coating.

Bottom line, clean your dirty throttle.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

P2119 is Throttle Closed Position Performance.

Any other issues besides the CEL?

Have you removed the plastic intake tubing and baffle so you can see the TB?

Mine has the GM Performance Parts cone filter and polished intake tubing, but I take all that off and replace it with the stock black plastic stuff every winter, so I get a chance to eyeball the TB twice a year. Its clean. I bet yours is too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back