when do i change my air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had my fram air filter for a year and it seems to look dirty. there is not really an accumulation of dirt but instead of white pleats it is more of a gray...usually i like to take it out and bang it to get all those things stuck in there. well ne ways should i just change it?? or should i leave it in?? i can see light through it but i cant see as much as i can with a new filter...thanks

Before I installed the K&N air filter, I followed the "3-6-12" schedule with my car. Oil & filter every 3,000 miles, rotate tires every 6,000, new air filter every 12,000. My advice? If it's been on for a year, install a new air filter.

Banging dirt off filters or using high pressure air to blow it off is not recommended in most cases, especially for paper filters because of the chance that small holes or tears can be made in the paper which will let dirt through. If it's that dirty, change it.

quote:

Originally posted by Sciguyjim:
Banging dirt off filters or using high pressure air to blow it off is not recommended in most cases, especially for paper filters because of the chance that small holes or tears can be made in the paper which will let dirt through. If it's that dirty, change it.

haha opps..i always bang it and shoot high pressure air through it to get the dust out..**** ...i guess i will change it now.

Stuart Hughes: good idea..i never really conciderd a good schedule like that..hehe that reminds me i have to rotate my tires. 3-6-12

thanks...humm i should do my fuel filter..its been 12 years. hahah

quote:

Originally posted by kreativ:
The cars I have all recommend 30K air filter change in the owner's manual. Is this far too long?

Not necessarily. In a dust free environment, an air filter can go longer. I've checked air filters on my cars after 20k and they still look like new. But some people I know can't go more than 10k without theirs being plugged. It's all a matter of the environment you drive.

PATMAN is right.........we have a relatively dusty environment here and i have seen filters dirty after 5,000 to 10,000 miles. I change mine every two years or 10,000 miles even though you could go much longer than that.....
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by kreativ:
The cars I have all recommend 30K air filter change in the owner's manual. Is this far too long?

Not necessarily. In a dust free environment, an air filter can go longer. I've checked air filters on my cars after 20k and they still look like new. But some people I know can't go more than 10k without theirs being plugged. It's all a matter of the environment you drive.

For anyone who lives in snow country where they sand the roads, those dry, sandy, dusty, winter roads between snowfalls put a lot of dust into the air and into our air filters, and we usually don't think of this as a high dust situation.

Ken

Using compressed air to clean filters opens the pores as in this example: http://american.netfirms.com/analisis/tierra/tierra.html
banging them often distorts them (so they don't seal) or loosens the glue between the paper and the covers, allowing dirt to get in.
We live DIRT. Roads with 5 inches of powder, where you drive through your own dust storm on hairpin curves. I change oil at 6,000 km and air filter at 18,000 km. here is what a new filter can do for you. http://american.netfirms.com/analisis/nuevo_filtro/nuevo_filtro.html

I change the PCV valves on all my vehicles annually, same with fuel filters.

Annual changes equate to about 3000 mile intervals.
wink.gif

NJ is famous for industrial contaminants.

BTW when I mean pitch black, I mean its covered with dirt and crud (the outside part) and is NOT brown/yellow from excessive blowby.

I've seen engines that spit up oil onto the filter and cleaner housing due to worn piston rings, clogged PCV, etc... and that's not pitch black. That's brown goop
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I change the PCV valves on all my vehicles annually, same with fuel filters.

Annual changes equate to about 3000 mile intervals.
wink.gif

NJ is famous for industrial contaminants.

BTW when I mean pitch black, I mean its covered with dirt and crud (the outside part) and is NOT brown/yellow from excessive blowby.

I've seen engines that spit up oil onto the filter and cleaner housing due to worn piston rings, clogged PCV, etc... and that's not pitch black. That's brown goop
smile.gif

when should we change our pvc plug?? i never changed mine in my my 91 accord. the book says to check it by moving it, if it rattles it is still good...and mine is still ok..should i change it though..what benifits will i get?

Well my PCV's are about $3-5 ea.

Its cheap insurance to change them every year although it might be overkill.

It helps regulate crankcase air flow/gases - using the wrong PCV can cause excessive blowby so its imperative that you get the right one.

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
Using compressed air to clean filters opens the pores as in this example:

I just looked in the shop manual for my car to double-check. Yup.

"NOTE: Do not clean the air cleaner element by blowing it off with compressed air"

Everything I heard is this is a bad practice. Something about creating holes for dirt by displacing filtering material, much like what happens to a tennis racket when hitting a ball.

Don't be cheap... just buy a new one.

...air, or water in the case of a washable. I've known guys to use pressure nozzles. "it's always worked for me"
smile.gif

Of course there are no absolutes. I sometimes used air across the element to get pesky stuff out, but never directly at it.

pcv valves are even 1.50 for most GM vehicles but... why not just clean em out? spray some engine degreaser, carb cleaner, lighter fluid ETC. ETC. through it, then rinse with water, let dry.... it has always worked perfectly for me on my old beaters

The filter on my 02 silverado still looks clean at 25K miles and the indicator has not started to move. Its been a year and I don't know how long I can resist. RW

my friend had an old delta 88 BEATER we would get airborne on old back country dirt roads, needless to say, the air filter had to be changed each day:)
along with the suspension.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back