When Did Riding Mowers Stop Using Rope Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I think the rear engine mowers had pull start into the 1980's.

Pictures011.jpg

I had this mower!
laugh.gif

Your's looks great...with a new(er) engine?
What engine is this and is this an old pic?

That is a Honda engine (looks like a 11HP GXV340). They could be purchased new with a Honda engine. The rider is a Hi-Vac built just before Snapper went under and were acquired by B&S. These were the best rear engine riders ever produced, with proper care and maintenance they can last a lifetime. The new Snapper riders are not nearly as good, they have a lot of Murray (also acquired by B&S) DNA in them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I think the rear engine mowers had pull start into the 1980's.

Pictures011.jpg

I had this mower!
laugh.gif

Your's looks great...with a new(er) engine?
What engine is this and is this an old pic?

That is a Honda engine (looks like a 11HP GXV340). They could be purchased new with a Honda engine. The rider is a Hi-Vac built just before Snapper went under and were acquired by B&S. These were the best rear engine riders ever produced, with proper care and maintenance they can last a lifetime. The new Snapper riders are not nearly as good, they have a lot of Murray (also acquired by B&S) DNA in them.

That is a pieced together mower. The deck is newer than the frame.

I'd guess that this happened right around the time the manufacturers figured out that those too lazy to shove a push mower around their yards would also be too weak and out of shape to pull start an engine.
A rope starter is always a nice thing to have as opposed to having to replace a battery every two or three years or having to jump the thing off the car.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'd guess that this happened right around the time the manufacturers figured out that those too lazy to shove a push mower around their yards would also be too weak and out of shape to pull start an engine.
A rope starter is always a nice thing to have as opposed to having to replace a battery every two or three years or having to jump the thing off the car.

Some of us use a riding mower because we have a big yard and two jobs. It's not so much about being lazy.

I got three acres you want to push mow it for me?

3 acres - [censored]. I have a 1 acre yard. When I first bought the house, I actually mowed the yard with a 4.0 HP Murray push mower. Took about 2 hours (if bagging) to mow the bermuda in front yard and back yard immediately behind the house...total of 1/2 acre. The other 1/2 acre was the hayfield that was the back half of the backyard and took another 2 hours (not bagging) because the grass was so tall and thick. Was push mowing the hayfield and neighbor down street comes riding over in his $5000 zero turn mower and asks if I want to borrow it. This crummy Murray rider has been a godsend. I'm able to knock that 1/2 acre out in 30-40 minutes.

Figured I'd strike a nerve with this.
For those who have multiple acres, a large mower makes sense, although a big walk behind, like a Ferris would work really well.
For me, we have 3/4 of an acre, as do most of those in our little subdivision.
I am probably the only guy without some sort of a riding mower. Some even have costly ZTRs.
I look at it as a nice aerobic workout for me, easily equal to the same time spent in the gym.
Would I push mow three acres?
Maybe.
The problem with that would be in the spring in that you might not have the three straight dry days after work that it would take to push mow it and meanwhile the grass is only getting higher.
I intended no offense to those with either multiple acres or multiple jobs.
I did intend to communicate that many of those with riders would be better served doing the work involved in shoving a push mower over their lawns.

My 1964 John Deere 110 has a “ starter/generator” with no provision for a rope starter. I did have a snapper that had a battery and a rope starter. The 30” single blade Snappers do leave a nice cut.

I found a 2015 Snapper 30" RER for my FIL with a B&S 14.5hp with a pull start backup. IMO a RER is the only setup that should have a pull start. Too great of a chance for John Q Public to get hurt trying to pull the cord from the driver's seat.

The 2015 replaced his circa 1980 8hp Briggs Snapper RER. I kept the old one running as long as I could, but when I found the 2 year old identical twin with less than 10 hours on it (son bought it for his father who then hired a service) he gave in and upgraded. That old one was gone within an hour of it being posted on CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back