Wheel bolt pattern checkers?

D60

I'm potentially needing to verify 5x100 vs 5x114.3 patterns when looking at wheels with no vehicle present. It would be nice to also catch 5x114.3 vs 5x115

For trailers I've got the plastic disc and it's nice but you still need to be fairly conscientious about lining up the holes (obviously)

I stumbled upon this gauge from Jeg's that drops into two adjacent holes and has a vernier scale of sorts. Has anyone used this style? Other suggestions?

As a machinist I'm rarely without calipers but if you've tried that you understand the reach is often not long enough and a 6" caliper is often too long to practically fit WITHIN many wheels. The Jeg's piece seems to address a lot of that w deeper reach and a stubby design
edit: and it will engage studs for when there is a hub but NO WHEELS present

I'm certainly open to other suggestions!

5x100 and 5x114 is easy, that is 5x4.25 and 5x4.5.

You can use a tape measure and measure from the center of the top lug in the star to the centerpoint of one of the two bottom lugs. It's a big enough difference that it will be clear to spot which is which.

5x115 vs 5x114.3 is tougher without a vehicle. Hopefully the seller knows and is trustworthy.

5x100 and 5x114 is easy, that is 5x4.25 and 5x4.5.

You can use a tape measure and measure from the center of the top lug in the star to the centerpoint of one of the two bottom lugs. It's a big enough difference that it will be clear to spot which is which.

5x115 vs 5x114.3 is tougher without a vehicle. Hopefully the seller knows and is trustworthy.
It's easier than that as 5x100 is 5 x 3-15/16". But, that's not the question ;)

I had one of those, it was a little chintzy. Lost it somehow.

You've got 5x100, 105, 108, 110, 112, 114.3, 115, and 120. There isn't a fantastic amount of resolution in the laser-printed graphic to help you out with a random junkyard wheel where you have no idea of its history.

More modern steel wheels have their size and maker stamped into them, often. Although not the bolt pattern. But you can use the info and a picture to get some idea of the original maker, from which you can then get the pattern. If you bring a cheap set of calipers you can get the hub bore, which very much varies from maker to maker, and can really help you narrow things down.

Mine also had a female side that let you measure on the car.

Back