what's your opinion on shops leaving the fluid low?

I had my trans serviced on my dodge 47re and I thought the trans was shifting a little funny, I figured I'd check the fluid level and checked it cold, the dipstick was bone dry. So I went to walmart and bought 6 quarts of fluid and it took two to get it just below the minimum mark when it was warmed up. Probably needs one more to get it to the top of the cross hatching where it's actually full, but you know I paid someone to do this already, why do I always have to go back behind people and fix their work? Trans shifts better now that it has the proper fluid level. It was kind of a slush box before.

Any guess as to what would cause it to be 3 quarts low, looks like a pan drop and filter change is 6-7 quarts. My guess is they checked it in park.

That is a lot of fluid. Most ATF dipsticks are like a cup between low and full, unless yours is different. Looks like they didn't check at all - got distracted and let it roll?

Did they do a fluid exchange? I often caught the BG machine leaving transmission fluid levels low when I was a tech. Of course they don’t include get transmission up to temperature and check fluid level in the instructions as that takes time and the major selling point on their equipment is time savings(for the tech) and reducing labor cost(for the customer) and time paid out to the tech(for the shop).

I have no idea.
Did they do a fluid exchange? I often caught the BG machine leaving transmission fluid levels low when I was a tech. Of course they don’t include get transmission up to temperature and check fluid level in the instructions as that takes time and the major selling point on their equipment is time savings(for the tech$ and reducing labor cost(for the customer) and time paid out to the tech(for the shop).
I told them to adjust the bands, so they should have dropped the pan and changed the filter too. You can't do that with a flush machine and I doubt that guy has one

Not checking ATF level after a radiator replacement.

I had my trans serviced on my dodge 47re and I thought the trans was shifting a little funny, I figured I'd check the fluid level and checked it cold, the dipstick was bone dry. So I went to walmart and bought 6 quarts of fluid and it took two to get it just below the minimum mark when it was warmed up. Probably needs one more to get it to the top of the cross hatching where it's actually full, but you know I paid someone to do this already, why do I always have to go back behind people and fix their work? Trans shifts better now that it has the proper fluid level. It was kind of a slush box before.

As a former dealer tech, I say it's bad practice to let any vehicle leave with fluids below the hot & full mark. It's soo much easier to rate a leak or other loss when you KNOW the level @ a recorded mileage.

Automatic transmissions, it's even worse.

As a former dealer tech, I say it's bad practice to let any vehicle leave with fluids below the hot & full mark. It's soo much easier to rate a leak or other loss when you KNOW the level @ a recorded mileage.

Automatic transmissions, it's even worse.
Yeah this one doesn't have a cold fill mark. Usually if theyrs at the bottom of the dipstick cold, it should be in the safe range when hot.

Back