What's wrong with Rotella?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see Shell Rotella discussed much here. My 1946 Ford 2N tractor literally thrives on the 15-40 Rotella dino, and my 1995 4.3 Blazer has run well on the 5W-40 Rotella "pseudo" synthetic. My experience with Rotella has been totally positive, so what's the deal with this oil?
Is this just another case of "oil snobbery"?

it pretty much is oil snobbery. you get people who say a group 3 isnt a syn, so rotella isnt a "real" syn oil, implying that it isnt as good as most other diesel oils.

i think the base of an oil isnt as important as the overall formulation. just look at schaffer oils, alot of them are not synthetic but still are tops. its the same thing with rotella.

The 5w-40 is a fine formulation from results coming across the desk.

The 15w-40 is less remarkable.

A4tdi, I doubt it is snobbery. A lot of people here want a group IV or V if they are paying for a synthetic. The Rotella T Synthetic is a much better buy then Castrol Syntec due inpart to the price. Speaking only for myself I would rather have a PAO/Ester based oil for $3.64 a quart then a group III/ester based oil for for $3.14 a quart. In my mind that is commonsence not snobbery! I have used Rotella T Synthetic in more then one vechile and it does a fine job. I just do not think I am getting my moneys worth!

P.S. Rotella T Synthetic used to use the Shell XHIV base stock and now uses regular GIII base stock. GMANII posted this a while back.

When did they switch from XVHI? When I look at UOA's of Rotella T 5w40 they don't seem to look much worse than UOA's of D1.

The Rotella T 5w40 in my TDI right now(From WalMart) has a CH-4 rating on it. I also see that shell is now showing a CI-4 and CI-4 PLUS approval on it. Could this indicate that the product may still be on the XVHI base?

--Matt

quote:

The Rotella T 5w40 in my TDI right now(From WalMart) has a CH-4 rating on it. I also see that shell is now showing a CI-4 and CI-4 PLUS approval on it. Could this indicate that the product may still be on the XVHI base?

There's been much speculation on the reason for the CH-4 label still being on the Rotella synth. Even TechExpert, the resident Rotella man on the Rotella message board, has not answered this question. Some have suggested that it's because of massive overstocks of old packaging (which I find a bit stretched at this point) ..to other reasons. This is the first time that I heard that the XHVI base was abandoned however. Your last statement may be a clue to why we still see the CH-4 designation on the bottles however. Perhaps long term (or xxxx number of #/gallons/months/etc.) obligations to the XHVI proprietory formulation is in the way of the new, and cheaper, formula that sports the CI-4 rating.

Either way, I'm in to using it for the long haul in my XOCI in an attempt to find an oil on par with Delvac 1 ..at least for my needs. The flagship of the fleet is very expensive to use.

I want to be clear that i do not have a problem with the product. I just think it is still over priced for a GIII oil. M1 is $3.64 a quart if you buy the 5 quart jug at Walmart. If you buy the 6 quart case at Sam's Club youcan get M1 for $3.38 a quart. I just do not see the value of RTS at $3.14 a quart in the gallon jugs. I also find the CH-4 rateing odd!! I do not own a diesel currently so I am after what I percive as the best buy. I like low wear and the ability to run extended oil change intervals if needed. I have not seen any bad UOA for RTS but I have not seen any stand outs either!

We have on the other hand seen plenty of extended oil change intervals with Delvac in comercial use. We have also seen palin jane M1 go 18,000 miles in a GM product.

I would like to see RTS sold for $2-$2.50 a quart.

First off, thanks to all who have replied. I value all of your opinions/experiences.
John,
I agree that the Rotella synth is overpriced for a GIII oil. However, for me its cost is outweighed by the good results I have achieved.
When compared to the VW-spec 505.01 needed for my PD Jetta, ($7.05/qt for Castrol TXT from the dealership, mail-ordered Elf Excellium at $7.30/qt+shipping, or Motul PD spec $29.00/5qts+shipping) the cost doesn't seem so bad!
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back