Whats the most expensive thermostat replacement cost you know of? We haven't broken the 1k mark yet, but close.

Had a company vehicle that needed the thermostats replaced, bill was just shy of 1g, that's 2 thermostats, 4 gallons of coolant, diagnosis fee and labor. This was on a 08-10 Powerstroke. Surely this has to be some kind of record, or are there worse ones out there? The shop that did it is expensive in my opinion however they do good work.

What does it take to changer the t stat. I used to have a 2002 Powerstroke it was pretty east to do most simple things. I have seen i=under the hood of the newer models and what idiots would buy such a vehicle. The huge dairymen around here all have them, and I talk to them on occassion and they say they love the trucks. I then ask them if they lease or buy them . To a tee every one say lease we wouldn't own one of those pos they cost too much to work on. These dairymen have equipment yards with millions and millions of dollars of huge equipment.

What does it take to changer the t stat. I used to have a 2002 Powerstroke it was pretty east to do most simple things. I have seen i=under the hood of the newer models and what idiots would buy such a vehicle. The huge dairymen around here all have them, and I talk to them on occassion and they say they love the trucks. I then ask them if they lease or buy them . To a tee every one say lease we wouldn't own one of those pos they cost too much to work on. These dairymen have equipment yards with millions and millions of dollars of huge equipment.
The above mentioned powerjoke is a miserable beast to work on. The 6.7L ones have 2 radiators with the thermostats mounted in the side of each radiator.

I have read the radiator has to come out, some say only the upper shroud, some say the egr cooler has to come out, others say not, you cant even see the housing.

Under hood of the 6.4 PS is quite a jumble.

I will say it runs good, starts great in the cold, has good power, but I'm glad I dont pay the repair bills on it!

The worst part about the truck is the front end components, nothing "super duty' about them!

The work truck is worse than this due to upfitter equipment. One of the batteries is a Bear to change because of the extra wiring.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211118-203442_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211118-203442_Samsung Internet.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 72
Granddaughters 2015 Camaro V6. $750 to change the T-Stat. "They", Chevy dealership, said they had to change some plastic hose connectors, hoses and new anti-freeze. Totally ridiculous in my book.

I have read the radiator has to come out, some say only the upper shroud, some say the egr cooler has to come out, others say not, you cant even see the housing.

Under hood of the 6.4 PS is quite a jumble.

I will say it runs good, starts great in the cold, has good power, but I'm glad I dont pay the repair bills on it!

The worst part about the truck is the front end components, nothing "super duty' about them!

The Radiator nor the EGR Cooler needs removal, The job books for 3 hours which is about right for your first 6.4L PS Thermostat job, easily cut in half after you do a few. This shop must charge $200 an hour????

a8/phaeton w12

not really a hard job but the unit is 500 bucks at the dealer. minimum 3 hours and you’re well into 1000+

The Radiator nor the EGR Cooler needs removal, The job books for 3 hours which is about right for your first 6.4L PS Thermostat job, easily cut in half after you do a few. This shop must charge $200 an hour????

The labor was 7xx.xx, Diagnosis fee of around 75? And the parts and coolant which were a little over 100.
I had read many different accounts of the replacement procedure, This shop didn't specify what was involved. I *think* the shop labor rate is 130.00/hr, and they dont break any of that down of the bill, which I find unusual.

They recently charged 700 dollars to replace two cab mount on the same truck, which I felt was a bit much.

This is the same shop I feel was high on a job I had done on one of my own vehicles, they do seem to do good work though. If they are paying thier techs double the book rate I may go back to turning wrenches if they would hire me lol.

I would have been curious to see what a dealer would have quoted.

If they are paying their techs double the book rate I may go back to turning wrenches if they would hire me lol.

I doubt that, Finding a shop that pays it's mechanics a fair wage are becoming fewer & further between. Leasing/Renting a Commercial Space big enough to run a auto repair facility out of is ridiculously expensive here in DFW. Before I built my own shop.....The only way I could make the numbers work was to lease a space buried in the back of a Industrial Complex 20 miles out of Ft. Worth proper.

I show 5.0 for a 08 F-350 PS

1637641462686.jpg

My Alldata, MOTOR, & Chilton sources all call for around the same times, Chilton is always a little higher & gives "Severe Service" times as well for Dirty/Nasty trucks.

ffWnhs7.png

hrckqjA.png

a3X5WvG.png

I was about to ask what estimator you're using? I can't, With good conscience charge 5 hours for this job. GM & Ford for the most part are spot on with labor times which is what Alldata & MOTOR use.

Chrysler book times on the other hand are consistently low by 20-50%.

Wow, I had no idea there was so much labour involved in some of these jobs.

A few weeks ago I helped my friend change the thermostat in his '08 Hyundai Sonata 2.4. I thought the c. $60 - 70 for a factory thermostat was high. Little did I know he got off easy.

Back