What's the best oil to use to clean stuck rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by "Stuck", have the siezed in the cylinders or do you just have a carbon build up.
If the engine has not been run for some time and they are stuck then remove the spark plugs or injectors, spray a liberal amount of WD40 into each cylinder then turn the engine over several times by hand if possible to loosen the rings. Once the rings are free add a small amount of engine oil to each cylinder and then spin the engine with the starter motor. Excess oil will be ejected from the holes so have them covered up with rags.
Once you have lubricated the cylinders refit the plugs or injectors and start the engine. Change oil & filter after the engine is warm if it is old etc.
If a turbo engine has not been run for a long time it is worth cleaning the oil feed lines and don't rev the engine until the oil is changed as there is a risk of bearing damage from sludge.

It has been discussed here a lot, and there are a few ways to do it. Rather than go through the different methods and products used you can try and search PISTON SOAK. That should get you some good reading on the topic as well.

I prefer a product that is slower . One that is used in the engine oil and the car driven .
Lots of products are available that are good for this.
Even some high end synthetics can clean things decently.

I assume you are talking about a car that is not seized up.

I've torn down quite a few engines with stuck rings and it is my opinion that usually stuck rings will remain stuck until the engine is tore down and the piston is removed and cleaned up. If the rust and crud is somehow magically removed, it may score the cylinder wall and use just as much oil as before.There are exceptions, of course, if the ring isn't stuck too bad. But quite often there is no real way to get the crud out from behind the second or third ring without a teardown. Despite what you read on the label, the deposits just don't magically evaporate into thin air. (or thin oil)

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I've torn down quite a few engines with stuck rings and it is my opinion that usually stuck rings will remain stuck until the engine is tore down and the piston is removed and cleaned up. If the rust and crud is somehow magically removed, it may score the cylinder wall and use just as much oil as before.There are exceptions, of course, if the ring isn't stuck too bad. But quite often there is no real way to get the crud out from behind the second or third ring without a teardown. Despite what you read on the label, the deposits just don't magically evaporate into thin air. (or thin oil)

I just watched an episode the other night I think it was Texas Car Kings or something? Any way, they bought an old car at auction, the motor was stuck/seized and they broke it loose. Seemed to run pretty good afterward. Of course you cant go by TV shows.

Last edited:
^^^as per above.

Kreen will quickly tell you if coke or carboned up rings are the problem. I have used it on several high mileage vehicles and its effects are immediate and dramatic.

I was watching a car auction show where these guys purchase old cars from the junkyard and bring them back to life and resell them. They had this one old car on the show that had a motor that wouldn't run. They actually used MMO and put it into each cylinder and left it over night.

Originally Posted By: Mau
I was watching a car auction show where these guys purchase old cars from the junkyard and bring them back to life and resell them. They had this one old car on the show that had a motor that wouldn't run. They actually used MMO and put it into each cylinder and left it over night.

Hey Beavis,I mentioned this already....."I just watched an episode the other night I think it was Texas Car Kings or something? Any way, they bought an old car at auction, the motor was stuck/seized and they broke it loose. Seemed to run pretty good afterward. Of course you cant go by TV shows."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mau

MMO is/was some good stuff back in the day when I wanted to quiet an engine down-aka-noisey lifters. I use to build engines and sometimes the person wanted to drive the vehicle a bit longer before I yanked the noisey engine. I would mix a cocktail of 1 qt MMO to every 5 qt system,with HD 30 WT oil to quiet it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back