What’s a 1997 Maytag Washer & Dryer Worth?

If you can sell them, great. If not and there any used appliance dealers around you, call one up and they'll probably pick them up for free.

Speed Queen is overrated. They also twist sheets unlike the Maytag I will speak of in a minute. Just had a home built I'm in the middle of moving into and I put the SQ in the walkout basement mother-in-law apartment. The capacity sucks and I hate how it twist bed sheets.

To the members that lust for a Speed Queen. You'd be better off getting the slightly higher capacity Maytag laundromat unit without the coin mech for less money. Model MVWP575GW Delivered free for $989 today 10/03/22 if bought direct from Maytag

Good to know! The one Lowes sells has a different model number to allow for a shorter warranty.

My Speed Queen does exactly this in this video:

You are correct about the Speed Queen being overrated. My GE top loader has the same type dual agitation as the Maytag. It cleans clothes very well. To top that off, Speed Queen washers have a small load capacity.

The yellowing of the plastic bits comes with age. It’s common with all manufacturers. They don’t have to be kept outside.

The yellowing is apparently caused by the flame-retardant additive added to the plastic to make it self-extinguishing. Probably required by UL listing requirements.

They are 25 years old so their value is minimal if anything. They are pre-Whirlpool so I would keep them.

Your 2013 Whirlpool set will likely go bad before these do.

So I’m seeing a lot of you guys recommending to keep the 1997 Maytag washer/dryer set, and sell the 2013 Whirlpool set instead.

Not sure I want to trust an unknown quantity.

I know zero about these units, but, being that I bought the Whirlpool units new in 2013, and they’ve had zero issues, it doesn’t make sense to get rid of them and use the Maytags that I know nothing about.

If the Maytags are so great, surely someone would give at least a couple hundred bucks for them.

Have a Kenmore pair from the 80's that still works great, although I only use them 2-3 times a month. The older models are better built with parts made in the USA.
Somehow, I pictured your washing machine to look like this. And a parts washer when you weren't washing clothes with it.

af9897518731233a50b5f2dec57ac906.jpg

Too bad you aren't closer, I'd take those off your hands real quick like! I have a newer model GE with all the electronic mumbo-jumbo and it's terrible! It cleans the clothes decent, but half the time the control panel gets confused and it starts all over. If I find something older with decent capacity around here I'm buying it. I seem to get 3-4 years out of modern washers, and this one is a little over 4... My GE dryer is a little older, but is going downhill quick as well. It's a total PITA to open it up, so I'm not repairing it.

It has been said already, but KEEP the Maytags, and unload the Whirlpools, if something must go.
The Maytag is a much better quality appliance.
I had a 1993 Maytag washer that went 23 years until the lower tub rusted through. If I could have found a tub for it, there is no doubt in my mind that I would probably still be using it.
Not only was the quality that good, but they also actually got the clothes clean.

I don't recall if your new home has an outbuilding, but if it does- or will, those Maytags would be super in an outbuilding. Your boys get their clothes filthy dirty; you get grease and oil all over your work clothes- out to the Maytag machines in the outbuilding. Keeps Moma happy....

For almost 26 years a White-Westinghouse (White Consolidated Industries) washer-dryer pair I bought for $500, from Best Buy is still soldiering on with zero issues. I have releveled it once about 10 years ago.

So I’m seeing a lot of you guys recommending to keep the 1997 Maytag washer/dryer set, and sell the 2013 Whirlpool set instead.

I know zero about these units, but, being that I bought the Whirlpool units new in 2013, and they’ve had zero issues, it doesn’t make sense to get rid of them and use the Maytags that I know nothing about.

If the Maytags are so great, surely someone would give at least a couple hundred bucks for them.

It makes no sense to keep a 1997 set and sell a 2013....and no one is paying big dollars for an old washing machine.

John you hit the nail on the head ! you have no idea what you are getting with that old set.
Maybe do a young family in need a big favour by donating the old set.

If you can sell them, great. If not and there any used appliance dealers around you, call one up and they'll probably pick them up for free.

Speed Queen is overrated. They also twist sheets unlike the Maytag I will speak of in a minute. Just had a home built I'm in the middle of moving into and I put the SQ in the walkout basement mother-in-law apartment. The capacity sucks and I hate how it twist bed sheets.

To the members that lust for a Speed Queen. You'd be better off getting the slightly higher capacity Maytag laundromat unit without the coin mech for less money. Model MVWP575GW Delivered free for $989 today 10/03/22 if bought direct from Maytag

Good to know! The one Lowes sells has a different model number to allow for a shorter warranty.

My Speed Queen does exactly this in this video:

i like that Maytag washer !
just looked it up at Maytag Canada $1850 delivered think i will keep my 2014 MCT Maytag which has been trouble free ( so far )

I don't recall if your new home has an outbuilding, but if it does- or will, those Maytags would be super in an outbuilding. Your boys get their clothes filthy dirty; you get grease and oil all over your work clothes- out to the Maytag machines in the outbuilding. Keeps Moma happy....

What would keep Mom happy is 2 washers & dryers. My parents had 5 kids and we had one washer & dryer. It seemed like my mom was always doing laundry.

Because of that memory, my last two homes were custom built with having two washer & dryer hookups in the mud/laundry room. Never did get around to actually having 2 washers and dryers in my last home however.

It irks me that you see a 4+ bedroom home costing an arm and a leg only to have one washer & dryer hookup when it would have added only .2% to the cost of the home.

I just moved in my new home and it will have 3 washers and dryers. The Speed queen and Maytag dryer is going in the walkout basement mother-in-law apartment. Wife insisted on a big capacity washer to wash a cal king size comforter and chose a 5.8 CF LG front loader and matching LG dryer. I ordered a Maytag top loader and matching dryer which will be delivered later this month. The Pet Pro units.

I would take the comforter to the laundromat in the past because there was no way it can fit in the Speed Queen or actually most other washers.

Reactions: GON
That video is b.s.

FIRST; THE WASHERS ARE OVERL.OADED. Corkscrew agitators are known to pile cloth and shred it.
SECOND: That is the "new" transmissionless Speed Queen, they use relays, my 2008 model had a drum brake/transmission and again, if you did not wash clothes on delicate, you had pilling issues.

THIRD, you do not wash towels with jeans, the jean button/zippers will cause pilling on your towels.

FORTH: FL washers are the way to go. I prefer "straight vane" Maytag washers, it prevents the corkscrew effect of ruining your clothes.

Check out www.automaticwasher.org

I buy basic GE washer and dryer, never had a problems.

No need to spend a crazy amount of money.

We had a spare matching set Maytag washer and dryer. Bought in about 1980 and were "working well when parked" but hadn't been used in some time. Cosmetically perfect. I don't believe we ever had to repair either. When we were moving we advertised them for $25 or $50 each.

A lady came to pick them up in a mini van. We loaded them in and when she reached for her wallet I told her they were actually free. She didn't look very well off and I was glad to have them go to someone who appreciated them.

I suggested she put water in the washer before taking it indoors in case it had developed a leak. A seal might have dried out or something like that. Worth fixing though. I'll bet they're still going.

I think all those yellowed plastic bits were metal on mine. Came from a different era.
Nice story, brought tears to my eyes.

Back