What would Walter think of his brand, today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
In fairness, the Dodges were building cars well before Walter P was.
I wonder what they'd think?
Other than the unfortunate chain of ownership and control, from publicly held company to DB to some Canadian vultures to Fiat, Chrysler survives as a brand and offers some products I'd consider owning.
If I were Walter P, I'd be proud to look at some of the performance offerings the Chrysler and Dodge brands have these days.
The Italian stuff is another matter, but GM and Ford have both offered vehicles made by entities that weren't really Ford or GM and GM continues to do so.
Finally, there is a lot of nonsense about how bad the Chryco minivans are, but you can't buy anything from anyone that's better overall than a Dodge GC or a Chrysler Pacifica for anything close to the same money at actual retail.
We have a couple of GCs in the fleet at work and they've been utterly trouble free and either would laugh off any of the Avengers or Fusions we have in any contest of speed.

Absolutely. My extremely well off friend Jim has BMW and others in his stable yet drives his newer Chrysler minivan almost everywhere. He says it's because it drives so nicely and is so versatile.

My 300C SRT8 has been an exceptional performer since August 05, with nearly no repairs, assuredly the best performance type vehicle I have owned across a near 50 year period of always having something hot in my garages. Still sweet, tight, and ready to run for it.

This thread is yet another example of extreme bias, just allows the haters to run their mouths about something they read in CR or some equally worthless rag.

It doesnt matter what anyones opinions are about Chrysler. The facts are what matters. No car company is perfect but some are better than others. Chrysler vehicles have had more known issues and problems than others. Thats based on facts. Just because some people have had good experiences doesnt make it a fact across the board. I know some who have had endless problems and others who love them.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The best modern Chryslers were made by Mitsubishi
smile.gif

Didnt Mitsu just get nailed again in yet another corruption scandal?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/23/news/companies/mitsubishi-materials-false-data-kobe-steel/index.html

and as fast as you can say valve guide update. the only thing Mitsu sold mopar was junk 3.0 oil burners!

and they were junk engines which cost Chrysler tons in warranty claims
They sold millions of 3.0 V6's and 2.6 litre 4-bangers...which powered hundreds of thousands of minivans.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Other than the unfortunate chain of ownership and control, from publicly held company to DB to some Canadian vultures to Fiat, Chrysler survives as a brand and offers some products I'd consider owning.
If I were Walter P, I'd be proud to look at some of the performance offerings the Chrysler and Dodge brands have these days.
The Italian stuff is another matter, but GM and Ford have both offered vehicles made by entities that weren't really Ford or GM and GM continues to do so.
Finally, there is a lot of nonsense about how bad the Chryco minivans are, but you can't buy anything from anyone that's better overall than a Dodge GC or a Chrysler Pacifica for anything close to the same money at actual retail.
We have a couple of GCs in the fleet at work and they've been utterly trouble free and either would laugh off any of the Avengers or Fusions we have in any contest of speed.

Absolutely. My extremely well off friend Jim has BMW and others in his stable yet drives his newer Chrysler minivan almost everywhere. He says it's because it drives so nicely and is so versatile.

My 300C SRT8 has been an exceptional performer since August 05, with nearly no repairs, assuredly the best performance type vehicle I have owned across a near 50 year period of always having something hot in my garages. Still sweet, tight, and ready to run for it.

This thread is yet another example of extreme bias, just allows the haters to run their mouths about something they read in CR or some equally worthless rag.

It doesnt matter what anyones opinions are about Chrysler. The facts are what matters. No car company is perfect but some are better than others. Chrysler vehicles have had more known issues and problems than others. Thats based on facts. Just because some people have had good experiences doesnt make it a fact across the board. I know some who have had endless problems and others who love them.

...and the same is true of your Toyota.
Owners of those Toyota models that have a known oil guzzling problem that Toyota refuses to do anything about might regard them as having more known issues and problems than others.
After all, this is a fact and facts are what matter.
For someone who wants a moderately priced RWD V-8 sedan, Chrysler is the only game in town.

Who cares.

Chrysler makes some really fun, good looking vehicles at reasonable price points with reasonable reliability. I can get behind the wheel and it puts a huge smile on my face and they're enjoyable to drive. I'll take that over some boring, poor driving uncomfortable FWD econobox that doesn't break - and not breaking is another negative, the POS will stick around to torture you longer.

And guess what! If it breaks, this is BITOG...I'm not afraid to turn a wrench. Odd thing, my wrenches don't seem to ever get use...

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Who cares.

Chrysler makes some really fun, good looking vehicles at reasonable price points with reasonable reliability. I can get behind the wheel and it puts a huge smile on my face and they're enjoyable to drive. I'll take that over some boring, poor driving uncomfortable FWD econobox that doesn't break - and not breaking is another negative, the POS will stick around to torture you longer.

And guess what! If it breaks, this is BITOG...I'm not afraid to turn a wrench. Odd thing, my wrenches don't seem to ever get use...

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You have my everlasting sympathy and condolences, Mr. Chrysler. Instead of leading the industry your brand is hanging on for dear life. The defibrillator's batteries are charged and ready. The priest has been called. Even your beloved DeSoto is but a memory of things long past. And, something called a pickup truck is now the lifeblood of a company that once stood for the ideals of Walter P. Chrysler. If you hear the words, "Fiat 500" worry not. It's slang for "POS" and so far does not yet have a Chrysler badge. For people today to understand Chrysler's place in the market they need only think Lexus to understand what driving a Chrysler or a DeSoto in the 1930's would be like. Thankfully Mr. Chrysler didn't live long enough to see his life's work fade away without even a whimper.

I wished I was "cradled in live rubber."

As I posted elsewhere, I rented a new Charger R/T for a weekend trip to NC; the Charger performed like a champ- averaging 28 mpg for the entire trip; at 11k miles it had no squeaks or rattles. The only complaint came from my wife; her seat did not have power adjustments and lumbar support- an upgrade I would definitely go for if I was buying one. I nosed around on some dealer sites and you can get a Charger or Challenger at a significant discount- it's an unbelievable bargain.

It might be heresy, but to recap: If I was buying a large four door car a Charger SRT-or Hellcat-would be at the top of my list(a properly equipped 440i Gran Coupe nails down the smaller four door spot). As I see it, RWD and a honking V8 trumps everything.

My father's 2013 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L has over 102k miles, tows a twin axle dump trailer every other weekend, and besides fluid changes has needed a fog light bulb and tires. It even still has the factory brakes.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
As I posted elsewhere, I rented a new Charger R/T for a weekend trip to NC; the Charger performed like a champ- averaging 28 mpg for the entire trip; at 11k miles it had no squeaks or rattles. The only complaint came from my wife; her seat did not have power adjustments and lumbar support- an upgrade I would definitely go for if I was buying one. I nosed around on some dealer sites and you can get a Charger or Challenger at a significant discount- it's an unbelievable bargain.

It might be heresy, but to recap: If I was buying a large four door car a Charger SRT-or Hellcat-would be at the top of my list(a properly equipped 440i Gran Coupe nails down the smaller four door spot). As I see it, RWD and a honking V8 trumps everything.

Only complaint about my 2016 Challenger is no power seat recline. Also I don't think these cars really need a six speed manual tranny; a five speed will do as this engine has so much torque.

We should applaud the survival of Chrysler as a marque and we should celebrate some of the more interesting offerings they've placed upon the table.
I suspect Walter P would do this as well.
What if the more successful automakers had come to destroy Chrysler?
Would you really want to drive in a world where every car on the road that wasn't an Accord was a Malibu, a Sonata, a Fusion or a Camry?
Choice is a good thing and Chrysler continues to exist and offer some compelling choices.
Who else offers things like the Charger, the Challenger, the 300 and the Wrangler Unlimited?
None of these might find their way into my garage, but that they could easily do so for moderate dollars is a great thing.
That the pickup should be the current lifeblood of Chrysler simply means that they're in the same league as Ford and GM and they're also doing well in this market, in which Toyota and Nissan would love to gain a bigger presence.

Choice is great.
And Chrysler corp does make some very nice and exciting vehicles.
But my past experience with them is I will never buy one again.
Same for V.W.
They were all junk with a capital J.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
my father owned was a 1949 Chrysler coupe.
Forgot the most important part; it had a hemispherical engine.

Impossible.

Chrysler didn't build the 331 Cubic inch Hemi ("FirePower") until 1951.

...and the same is true of your Toyota.
Owners of those Toyota models that have a known oil guzzling problem that Toyota refuses to do anything about might regard them as having more known issues and problems than others.
After all, this is a fact and facts are what matter.
For someone who wants a moderately priced RWD V-8 sedan, Chrysler is the only game in town.

I never brought Toyota into the equation. I simply said some are more reliable than others and are built better.

Who cares.

Who is forcing you to drive a FWD econobox? Im not judging what you drive, i made a correct blanket statement, that some companies build better products than others. Did I mention fun to drive? Nope, completely different argument.

Who is forcing you to drive a FWD econobox? Im not judging what you drive, i made a correct blanket statement, that some companies build better products than others. Did I mention fun to drive? Nope, completely different argument.

Driving dynamics aren't a factor in determining what a quality product is? A noisy tin box with rubber band steering, brakes with zero feedback, uncomfortable seats and an engine that produces no power isn't what I would consider a quality product.

Our 2007 Chrysler 300 just reached 200k and had its first repair … radiator tank crack … $400 all in …

Chrysler (Dodge) engineers can get the job done when necessary.
https://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/chicago.html

So far I'm quite satisfied with my 2016 DGC - my last North America Chrysler product was a 1964 Dodge.
I had an '84 Colt that served me well for 6 yrs.

I worked at Chrysler Windsor (Canada) from 1964 to 1973 .... we built some cool product back then
56.gif

I imagine Walter is prouder than Mr. Studebaker or Mr. R.E. Olds.

Driving dynamics aren't a factor in determining what a quality product is? A noisy tin box with rubber band steering, brakes with zero feedback, uncomfortable seats and an engine that produces no power isn't what I would consider a quality product.

Yeah, people can have fun with their miserable Toyota, could care less. My Chrysler junk is fun and comfortable to drive and I even question that Toyota is more reliable based on my experience. FWIW if you have even a little mechanical aptitude you can maintain your Chrysler product and it will give you good service like anything else out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back