What would make BITOG better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Fawteen
I read this site years ago and there were some real experts-Terry Dyson and Johnny to name a couple. The site seems to have lost most of the members who were real oil experts; now most of what you get are a handful of users who have read a few oil analysis, looked at pictures of cut open filters, and are now self-proclaimed experts. The search feature is marginal at best, and some of the information available from when the real experts were here is becoming outdated.

There is some useful information, but wading through the sophomoric noise gets old.

Absolutely! If there were some way for BITOG to be able to have those like Molakule and the others have something like "BITOG Accredited" under their name when they respond, we would be able to know it's legit info and not opinion. Of course that would mean the creators have to have a method to do this. Maybe you could have a separate section where they could upload their credentials so we know who's legit. Maybe a separate sub heading in the Users List? I think some of them also wrote White Papers. Would like to see a reference section just for those. If you got one, I can't find it. It's great that anyone like me can make a post and give an opinion, but I would also like to see a real professional section split out somehow. I know that would be tall order though. Something to think about..........

Last edited:
Different forum software. This "UBB" software is horrible. Search functionality is abysmal, no indicator/icon that shows that you've posted in a particular thread, and when you click on a thread title, it takes you either halfway down the page, or to page 2 or 3, regardless of whether you've posted in that thread or read it before. And then the photo uploader - for no reason, it turns random photos upside down or sideways (see my recent thread in Photo Section on Grissom Air Museum).

This forum software is horribly outdated and flawed.

I MUCH prefer whatever software they're using over at Tacoma World:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/

I personally think it's BS to receive a temp ban without a reason cited. Was I too salty in a comment? Did I inadvertently post a nudie pic?...‚ Or did I do a no-no by challenging one of the resident armchair experts?

Knowing, would go far in preventing future occurrences. ...

That aside, fixing the dropping you into the middle of a thread thing would be welcomed.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Different forum software. This "UBB" software is horrible.

"Like"

I've been a part of forums for almost two decades and don't know of another site that uses this software. There's probably a reason, or many reasons, why so few places do.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I personally think it's BS to receive a temp ban without a reason cited.
A vague reason should always be given but I do understand why moderators don't go into too much detail. 9 out of 10 times, when you give a reason, it just gives the recipient reason to argue and debate (from experience as an admin elsewhere).

I personally think it's BS to receive a temp ban without a reason cited. Was I too salty in a comment? Did I inadvertently post a nudie pic?...‚ Or did I do a no-no by challenging one of the resident armchair experts?

Also what happens is that repeat offenders (people who were here previously under a different screen name and were banned) reappear and are recognized as such. Once that happens I doubt much of a reason is supplied since it is in reality the same reason for the first ban.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Also what happens is that repeat offenders (people who were here previously under a different screen name and were banned) reappear and are recognized as such. Once that happens I doubt much of a reason is supplied since it is in reality the same reason for the first ban.

Good to know but that's not what happened here. No biggie, it's not like this is the only automotive focused group on the net. It's just banning someone without a provided reason reeks of a mod having a "bad hair day". ...‚

(come to think of it I probably just violated a rule by discussing a ban...‚...here we go again, *braces for another ban* ...‚)

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I personally think it's BS to receive a temp ban without a reason cited.
A vague reason should always be given but I do understand why moderators don't go into too much detail. 9 out of 10 times, when you give a reason, it just gives the recipient reason to argue and debate (from experience as an admin elsewhere).

A "vague" reason would have been nice but nope..nada, zilch. Just a one week "cya, wouldn't wanna be ya"

It's only a debate/argument if you indulge them. Levy the ban, state the reason and it's case closed. There's no reason for a mod/admin to have back and forths unless they happen get some kind of joy from the back/forth. ...

(I'm not trying to argue the ban, that's ancient history IMO. I'm trying to understand what it was that triggered a ban so I can avoid running afoul of the law again. I don't think that's too much to ask)

Last edited:
It's just banning someone without a provided reason reeks of a mod having a "bad hair day". ...‚

(come to think of it I probably just violated a rule by discussing a ban...‚...here we go again, *braces for another ban* ...‚)

The first rule of a ban is not to talk about the ban.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
It's just banning someone without a provided reason reeks of a mod having a "bad hair day". ...‚

The first rule of a ban is not to talk about the ban.
lol.gif

Ya don't say.....‚
[Linked Image]

(I'm not trying to argue the ban, that's ancient history IMO. I'm trying to understand what it was that triggered a ban so I can avoid running afoul of the law again. I don't think that's too much to ask)

I must say that I struggle with the notion that someone who got a ban or vacation had no clue as to why it happened.

Originally Posted by kschachn

I must say that I struggle with the notion that someone who got a ban or vacation had no clue as to why it happened.

And some people struggle with their, there and they're..so what's your point?...

And fwiw, that has nothing to do with nothing (it's besides the point). If the goal is to curb unwanted behavior then not providing a reason/example does not work to achieve that. Anyone who has children or worked in a mgmt capacity, like I have/do, knows this concept.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Looks like another vacation coming up.

Or at least a thread lock.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by PimTac
Looks like another vacation coming up.

Or at least a thread lock.

Well, it is summer so......

[Linked Image]

"Like"

I've been a part of forums for almost two decades and don't know of another site that uses this software. There's probably a reason, or many reasons, why so few places do.

Yep.

I've also NEVER seen another board that uses this garbage software.

Yep. I've also NEVER seen another board that uses this garbage software.
And if it's too unpopular, I suspect none of the common forum software packages will even offer a "conversion" tool (not that I think that would ever happen).

"Like"

Yep.

I've also NEVER seen another board that uses this garbage software.

I am a member on three other websites that currently uses the same software so I would not say its garbage.

UBB Release

I personally don't think the software is all that bad. It loads pretty quick on my mobile device and doesn't hang like some other forums (that are using Java???)

That said, there are some good suggestions here to improve the UX.

I personally don't think the software is all that bad.

+1 ... I've seen worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back