What weight oil would help this start up noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My questions to the OP, including the leading ones, were meant to allow him to figure out the answers for himself and to draw conclusions accordingly.

Originally Posted By: vavavroom
My questions to the OP, including the leading ones, were meant to allow him to figure out the answers for himself and to draw conclusions accordingly.

Great Expectations. I try that Tough Teecha - Make Them Think shtick too, but it doesn't really work with Taiwanese students. They consider it cruel and unreasonable punishment.

I'd never heard of head check valves, hence the "possible patent" crack. Looked it up. Apparently a thing on Audi's, so that was educational.

Noisy lifters from head check valves

Now I want some, but I doubt they are an aftermarket upgrade item.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: vavavroom

Great Expectations. I try that Tough Teecha - Make Them Think shtick too, but it doesn't really work with Taiwanese students. They consider it cruel and unreasonable punishment.

I'd never heard of head check valves, hence the "possible patent" crack. Looked it up. Apparently a thing on Audi's, so that was educational.

Noisy lifters from head check valves

Now I want some, but I doubt they are an aftermarket upgrade item.

Ed, I don't know which engines have oil retention valves, but my X5 had them. About $40 a piece, I think. I would expect most if not all engines with hydraulic lifters to have check valves. I knew I had an oil retention valve problem when there was a racket after a cold start. If an engine doesn't have oil check valves, the engine probably doesn't need them. Look at oil filters and the integrated ADBV or the lack of it, depending on engine design. I will give the benefit of the doubt to the engineers. I don't know if the OP's engine has hydraulic lifters and or oil retention valves. He should look into it. Some initial and temporary clatter won't kill this old engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back