What things do you not like about your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on my Mazda is hard to find something I dislike, I have to think twice honestly

CRV: tiny and weak horn sound, A-pillar thickness, and missing a mute button on the infotainment system

'09 MB C300

- Peeling interior buttons and switches.
- Bluetooth streaming and USB connector do not work with iPhone music files.
- MFA resets to odometer and trip odometer every single time you restart the car.
- Side defroster vents that break pre-maturely and require the entire dash be replaced as they are not sold individually - I have to stare at them every single day.

Other than that I have been VERY pleased with the car in the 2 years I have owned it.

95 F150: 1st gear and Reverse are way too tall. Has 2.73 gears which don't help. Just space the gears for a low low and a high high with happy gears in between.

83 w123 300D: Slop in steering box. Broken odometer makes it harder to track MPG. No way to turn the key on to roll windows up/ down without activating the glow plugs, using bunches of power.

Prii: Non-linear fuel gauge. It takes a second to "boot" between turning on the power and allowing me to select a gear. I use that time for buckling my seat belt but want to be able to just "go". It has an intrusive ABS/Traction control system that over-reacts to slippery conditions. The front brake calipers stick way out so it needs Prius-specific 15" rims-- others rub. Makes snow tire rims more expensive.

02 camry: Heavy clutch, spongy brake pedal. DBW throttle is sticky in the cold, making the car lurch around in 1st gear with the clutch all the way up. Feels like car was intended for an automatic, though I'm happy to have the options.

2013 Honda Civic 4-door LX Sedan

1. A/C is way too weak for Florida. Takes a good 10 to 12 miles of driving at highway speeds to remove the heat and cool down at the end of the day if the car has been parked in direct sunlight. When the car has been parked in heavy dark shade, a parking garage or my garage at home the A/C is much better.

2. No engine temperature gauge in the dash, so there is no way to tell if the car runs hot or is in danger of overheating. Honda expects me to pull over right away and have the car towed to the dealer if the IMID info center tells me the car is running hot.

3. The IMID info center in the dash is hard to see in the daytime, and much harder to see when wearing sunglasses.

4. It is hard to get in and out of the car, but I am 6' 2" and about 245 pounds. Once I am in the car though it is very comfortable with a lot of leg room. The driver's seat feels like a brand new Nike tennis shoe.

5. The factory radio did not respond very well when I added a 4 channel amp and new speakers. It sounded bad no matter what line output convertor I used and no matter how the gains were set. I put up with it for a couple of years but a few months ago I finally went back to running the factory radio with the 4 factory speakers reinstalled. The factory radio has an odd equalization curve in it that drops out the bass at higher volume. I did add a pair of Pioneer TS-T110 hard dome ferrofluid tweeters on the front doors and a Sound Ordnance 8" powered sub under the front passenger's seat. The sub is wired with speaker level inputs from the rear channels of the radio. The rear channels have a lot lower output power than the front channels so the sub gets a decent usable signal. The sub has its own separate remote volume knob, which I hid inside the storage box in the console. Overall the audio is decent enough that I don't want to change anything else on it.

To be honest the car is OK. It's not my most favorite vehicle I have ever owned but it is OK. It has good enough power for an econo-box and it runs very well, very smooth and quiet. I put a set of Cooper CS5 Ultra's on it the first week I owned it and the car handles great even in heavy rain. And I can not argue with 36 MPG.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
97 Maxima:
The slushbox "logic" is frustrating, no TC lockup in 3rd gear (the 04 Corolla is much better).
The backrest and headrest are too short.
The steering wheel is offcenter compared to the dash and the seats: it is hard to see the speedometer in my preferred driving position.
Econo-suspension: MacPherson struts on the front and torsion beam on the rear, like the Corolla, only implemented poorly. The rear is rude over speed bumps, jumpy in turns, yet rocks like a boat with 3 adults, 1 baby and a full trunk.
The transversal V6 makes the alternator a PITA to replace even with 2 people.
They tried to make the engine light weight so a lot of the sealing surfaces are not straight but have curves and semicircles. The timing chains don't run in the block, but there is a inner and outer timing cover. All this makes these engines prone to oil leaks.
No cabin air filter.
No manufacturer parts for some bushings and boots.
Solder issues (clock, MAF and others to come).
The spare tire compartment doesn't hold a full size spare.
The trunk lid uses beams instead of springs, robbing me of usable trunk space.
I suspect the steel wheels are lower quality compared to the Corolla.
Wind noise.
There are a lot of things I like about it, but this is not the place for them.

01.gif

plus the terrible rust issues like the radiator support!

FWIW, the spare tire well does too hold a full-size spare. I actually retrofitted one to my 96 I30, and also, Canadian-spec Maximas had a full-size spare.

1999 Wrangler:
No LSD

1995 318ti:
Needs @100 hp and a sixth gear

2014 M235i:
No LSD, moronic 155 mph speed limiter

i have 2008 Avalon. i didnt buy it i inherited it. i have only one real issue. the heater controls are spread to the left and right on the dash. and they are flat buttons , and in the dark hard to find with out taking your eyes off the road. i never thought i would like a car made over seas. it just turned 100,000. miles. with the original tires and it does need new tires. gets 27 to 24 mpg on the road. i think ill look into getting new spark plugs for it. has just the right amount of power. at a stand still i cant punch it the right front tire hops and hammers. but at 10 mph it spins to right front tire just the right amount.

#1 Paint is not very durable. The front end is just very susceptible to road rash.

#2 Copious amount of plastic parts in the engine bay which due to temps/age become brittle. For example I'm waiting for my charge pipe to crack just as I tick outside the factory warranty period.

I haven't owned my Lucerne long enough to have a list yet but one thing that concerns me is when you open the trunk from the remote or in the cabin it flies open all the way so I don't open it until I'm standing there to control it. My LeSabre only opened a couple inches.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I haven't owned my Lucerne long enough to have a list yet but one thing that concerns me is when you open the trunk from the remote or in the cabin it flies open all the way so I don't open it until I'm standing there to control it. My LeSabre only opened a couple inches.

My departed '06 Jetta and my '09 C300 will pop the trunk wide open - I actually find it a positive feature where you don't have to try to fumble to open a trunk with an arm load of bags. Even if you have a hand free to open the trunk all the way its still nice to have a wide open trunk. I only tend to open my trunk from the drivers seat or when I am walking up to the car so the wide open or only 2" or so is not a big deal to me.

1-Bad solder in the dash cluster, resulting in no odometer display. Major disassembly job to fix.
2-HVAC blend door sticks. Another major disassembly job.
3-Trunk release on dash doesn't work unless the key is on.
4-An AUX input on the radio would be nice.
5-I expected this, but it's a bit loud on the highway, with no carpet.

And currently, the A/C is dead.
frown.gif

Most thing I like but there are a few minor issues:

1) No telescopic steering wheel. My wrist crease is about 1 inch short of the top of the steering wheel with my shoulders back and my arm extended after adjusting for my legs and feet. Weird because I'm a hair under 5'10" so you'd think I'd be well matched.

2) There's a little dead spot in the throttle from rest. Not much, but exacerbated when cold.

2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 44000 miles.

Front Right Suspension squeaks over even minor bumps. I lube the bushing but the noise is back a week later.

For my G37, the color is a royal pain for keeping clean (black). It's a little low slung for our winters, but I don't have a whole lot of grumbles. Whenever something aggravates me, I just think back to some of the garbage I used to drive as a kid.

I just bought a 2013 GS350 F Sport with 58K miles, Lexus Certified.
What an incredible car...
The gas mileage sucks and I don't care for the red leather they put in these cars.
But who cares?

Ford F150: Door detents, lack of one at half open for those tight parking spaces. Position of the dial controlling two wheel/four wheel drive. It's obscured by the steering wheel. No foot cutouts in the rear bumper like GM trucks have.

Decontenting. Around 2005 everybody decontented, which included taking away door protection strips. The great recession made the decision permanent.

To be fair, I can Google a 1996 article about decontenting; a 2010 article says Toyota has been doing it since the mid 1990's, primarily driven by the yen fluctuations in 93-94.

Originally Posted By: Bear
Ford F150: Door detents, lack of one at half open for those tight parking spaces. Position of the dial controlling two wheel/four wheel drive. It's obscured by the steering wheel. No foot cutouts in the rear bumper like GM trucks have.
The GM bumper cut outs are a nice feature.
Then bonk me with a 2X4 I thought backup cameras were stupid but I have watched them in other peoples cars and they are great!

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
2006 toyota matrix xr awd - would expect 3 to 4 more mpg than you get. 4 speed reluctant to downshift unless you really boot it. Feels a tiny but underpowered with lots of things in the car. Overall an awesome car and wouldn't trade it for anything else you could getbfor close to what we paid for it. Great car.

+1, on the 05 Matrix XR fwd. I'm sure there's some more small things I don't like about it and not worth mentioning. The bottom line is I like it alot and great for zipping around town with plenty of room inside.

Originally Posted By: Delta
2015 Camry: Ride is pretty stiff and bumpy. The seats are really stiff! The engine doesn't have any low end power at all, you have to hit 3K+ RPM's for anything to really happen.

2012 Camry LE 72k miles. I like the looks of the SE better than the LE but the ride is much better with the LE and seats seem fine to me. Between lower profile tires, sport suspenion and possible firmer seats it gets old on hwy trips. Something my brother mentioned since he travels alot and has rented both versions of the Camry. I thought he was exaggerating a bit about how bad the ride is on the SE but maybe not.

I remember my dad complaining about it with his first Camry. He went from an 86 Riviera to a 92 Camry SE V6. Even back then it rode very bumpy compared to an LE.

Yes, the power seems much better after 3k rpms. Almost like a turbo when the power comes on. Apparently the new ones are even worse with feeling no power at low speeds/rpms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back