What temperature does water freeze at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure can freeze at 50 and higher on a nice damp day. That’s if you’re flying a carbureted engined plane. Those old carbs will freeze right over at the Ventury and if you wait took long before pulling the carb heat it will soon get mighty quiet.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
They must have used calcium chloride on the roads because salt water would have froze at 14 degrees.

Regular Rock Salt (Sodium Chloride) can melt snow and ice down to a pavement temp of around -5F. It will melt a lot less snow and ice below 15 degrees but it still works. It works better when prewetted with something (thus the tanks you see on a lot of trucks around here now) by turning more of it into a brine upon application.

The other trick is it is the pavement temp that counts - not the air temp. On blacktop roads during the day, the pavement temp often runs 10 degrees warmer than the air temp, meaning melting happens even when the air temp is below freezing.

There is a lot more to deicing and snow control than just the air temp...

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I get ice on the roof of my car and frozen windshield when it gets down to 37 at night.

Then I spray washer fluid on and it freezes to the windshield!

Here’s a picture of frozen water droplets on my car at above freezing temps

f3rse1.jpg

You need a new thermometer or the one in the car is way off. Water does not freeze at 37f, really.

I saw somewhere that putting Vodka in the washer fluid helps it not freeze?

Originally Posted By: Collingwood
I saw somewhere that putting Vodka in the washer fluid helps it not freeze?

Any solute affects the freezing point of a particular solvent by the same amount regardless of what it is (on a molal basis).

Thanks for asking, J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back