What "Parts Ordering Paralysis" costs

A pal wanted to service (pan drop) his 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6l, 8 speed ZF.

In short, the ~$250 price of the 'single use' plastic pan was off-putting.
Once alerted, I found a $235 example at a CDJR dealership where I know some people.
My pal balked and opted for an unfamiliar transmission shop.

The pan was itemized at $350 and the total tab was $760.

I don't want to go near the "You don't know what it costs to run a garage" sentiment.
The job couldn't've taken an hour.
My pal isn't the best at planning maintenance. He plain chickened out and paid dearly.

A pal wanted to service (pan drop) his 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6l, 8 speed ZF.

Once alerted, I found a $235 example at a CDJR dealership where I know some people.

I don't want to go near the "You don't know what it costs to run a garage" sentiment.
My pal isn't the best at planning maintenance. He plain chickened out and paid dearly.
I'm about to do this job on my father's 2020 GC 5.7L with the ZF8. I got a pan for $250, which is pretty pricey for a plastic pan with a filter and some bolts. I've done this job before on BMWs with the same transmission, and it isn't a bad job especially if you have a pump to fill the fluid. The pricing is probably why most people opt to just ignore the service intervals.

My mom has a 2011 Honda Fit with ~100k miles. When it was at the dealer for a recall they mentioned it needs a valve adjustment at that mileage. The quote was over $1000. I already have the Honda tool to adjust valves, so I ordered a gasket kit for $39 and will do it for her.

Honestly if they used the correct fluid that's one of the cheaper ZF fluid changes I've heard of from a shop...

Fluid is still a decent price on amazon at $95

These pans are single use? Thats messed up. A ton of waste for absolutely no reason. Why cant governments be all over stuff like this instead of single use plastic straws?

Can you evac the fluid out the top or is there a filter change too?
Filter is integrated into the pan and yes its very wasteful, but at least you only have to deal with it every 60k I guess.

These pans are single use? Thats messed up. A ton of waste for absolutely no reason. Why cant governments be all over stuff like this instead of single use plastic straws?

Can you evac the fluid out the top or is there a filter change too?
The pan isn't a single use....exactly. The problem is that the filter is built into the pan. So to replace the filter, you have to replace the pan.

PPE is making an aluminum pan with replaceable filters for the application. Not sure what filter it uses though, probably proprietary to them.

if you can't do things yourself you should not expect anyone else to do it for free.
that is my take on how life works.

I highly doubt that.

yeah, typical homeowner... go find car, get car in shop, jack up car and place jackstands, try to find suitable drain pan, dont have one, make mess... spend half an hour cleaning up oil... then remove and replace pan, filter etc... since this thing dont hav e a dipstick fashion a method of filling transmission.... then wait until tranny warms up and recheck and ad fluid as necessary.... then make sure you didn't screw up and have a leak or forget something.. all in one hour.

I know at home those fifteen minute jobs turn into all day affairs after 6 trips to the parts store are included. :)

Every time you want to change the transmission fluid you have to replace a $250 pan??
Pretty much, yes. As mentioned above, there is a metal one available which has replaceable filters
if you can't do things yourself you should not expect anyone else to do it for free.
To be sure. However, overcharging/price gauging is the question here, not the mere fact that paying for goods and services exist.
I highly doubt that.
I don't (barring any complications). It's a surface mounted part which is removed and replaced. There's nothing to clean.
A shop does this routinely.
Also, I'm not oblivious to the fact that prices can include a "convenience factor". You pay not only for the job done, you pay for the luxury of not doing it yourself.

My pal bailing on this job and paying the price was the major point of the OP. The costs of parts ordering paralysis are what he learned.
Call it a refresher lesson.

I know others are taking as "this is the price of the job".. like you said they might..

What I want to focus on is the fact that you offered to help, talking to some people to get a great deal on the work, then they ignore your help (which was the best offer) and go to someone else, get ripped off.

Just gives ya a warm and fuzzy feeling doesn't it? That you tried to help and they disregarded it.. really makes ya want to help them again! sheesh..

I would not buy the vehicle. People love their Jeeps (I liked mine also) but they are at bottom of the barrel for reliability.

People complain about one-use water bottles and this is one-use transmission pan?

German design.. blame them not Mopar.

I don't see an issue. Parts cost + markup + labor.
Not so much and issue as a surprise.
And just between you and me, I never could get my head around "mark ups" on parts.

There's also a "sad angle". My pal's a bit older than I and he taught / inspired me so much.
There are hundreds of miles between us now so "jumping in" is way more difficult.
There are good sides and bad to that.

I see a design issue with a one use transmission pan.
What's the difference between a one time use transmission filter and a one time use transmission filter that is built into the pan?

Not so much and issue as a surprise.
And just between you and me, I never could get my head around "mark ups" on parts.
Why? Did the installing dealer invest no time or money in getting the part?

Did the installing dealer invest no time or money in getting the part?
How much time or money does a transmission shop need to order a commonly replaced transmission part from his usual transmission part supplier?

A $230-$250 pan becomes $350? C'mon now.
Again, I can understand some premium for parts speedily delivered to a shop but this was a scheduled maintenance service, not a 'can o' worms mystery repair requiring diagnosis and possible repeated parts phone calls and deliveries.

What's the difference between a one time use transmission filter and a one time use transmission filter that is built into the pan?

Why? Did the installing dealer invest no time or money in getting the part?
Well a transmission filter for my pickup is $30. They are talking about $250 for combo transmission pan and filter.

Back