What oil should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I am Australian but I have access to US products.
IMO it does not hurt to get some outside opinions either way.

FORD BA XR6 Turbo sedan, 141,000kms(115.000miles).
Car puts out about 160rwkw.

I live in the country and most drives are 50-100kms at 100km/h on bitumen(paved) roads.
The odd burst here and there a bit faster, but nothing crazy.

The temp here is mild to hot (32*F at a minimum, and 120*F at a max).

Car has no known problems and no mods.

I am currently changing the oil every 10,000kms, is this often enough?

I am going to try a Royal Purple oil filter next oil change.
Currently using Mobile.

M1 oils are certainly up to providing the protection you need for your engine.

Also, welcome to BITOG!!
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Hey mate, Ford specs a 15W40 for these turbo 6s, so stick to a 40.

I wouldn't bother with RP...you can get plenty of better bang for your buck, if it's GL Lubricants you are getting them off (where I buy Redline, and formerly RP diff oils).

Now the 15W40 grade itself has an HTHS in the 4.5 range typically, and seeing as Ford specced 15W40, they did it for a reason.

The closest that you will get to what Ford seem to want, and in a synthetic is Penrite Racing 10W40, it's got an HTHS of 4.4-4.5, so is spot on where Ford seem to be on the issue.

If you choose Redline, either their 5W40, or 10W40 would be suitable...their 15W40 is 4.7.

If you go with M1 0W40 (say), you'll have an HTHS of 3.8, same if you go for any of the other manufacturer's 5W40 synths, they are all around the 3.8 mark. So going for the next round of thinking, for over the counter stuff, you would have to change up a grade.

M1 5W50, although being a "50" similarly has an HTHS of 4.4, so would be suitable.

Time for an HDEO 15W-40. Shannow will prolly fill in the calculated HTHS, but they have been running well in turbo cars here in the USA for decades. And of course in big truck world over...

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 oils are certainly up to providing the protection you need for your engine.

Also, welcome to BITOG!!
welcome2.gif

Thanks mate, will check them out.

Also, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Hey mate, Ford specs a 15W40 for these turbo 6s, so stick to a 40.

Now the 15W40 grade itself has an HTHS in the 4.5 range typically, and seeing as Ford specced 15W40, they did it for a reason.

The closest that you will get to what Ford seem to want, and in a synthetic is Penrite Racing 10W40, it's got an HTHS of 4.4-4.5, so is spot on where Ford seem to be on the issue.

Some good info there, thanks a lot for that.
Had no idea what the HTHS was until this post.

I can source out Penrite quite easily here in OZ so will go with that one.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Krykie!! A great white.
We need a bigger boat.

What does "Krykie" mean anyway ? Maybe one of you Australian dudes could fill me in.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Greatwhite7
First off I am Australian but I have access to US products.
IMO it does not hurt to get some outside opinions either way.

FORD BA XR6 Turbo sedan, 141,000kms(115.000miles).
Car puts out about 160rwkw.

I live in the country and most drives are 50-100kms at 100km/h on bitumen(paved) roads.
The odd burst here and there a bit faster, but nothing crazy.

The temp here is mild to hot (32*F at a minimum, and 120*F at a max)

Car has no known problems and no mods.

I am currently changing the oil every 10,000kms, is this often enough?

I am going to try a Royal Purple oil filter next oil change.
Currently using Mobile

Which oil does the local Ford dealer say you should use ??

In general terms it's a bad idea to use non Motorcraft (Ford parts) oil filters in Ford engines, so stock up on filters at a real Ford dealer.

If you ask which oil to use in a US forum, they always say Mobil 0w40, which will shear down too far over 10K km.

I would DYOR (Do Your Own Research) if not under warranty and LOOK AT THE OIL FINDER PAGE of the major brand engine oil companies to see what they list for your engine, BUT LOOK AT THE AU SITE ONLY, or you might get a thin oil suggestion. STICK TO MAJOR BRANDS ONLY, which would be SHELL, CASTROL, LIQUI MOLY or MOBIL.
The LM oil finder page is best as it will list all the options, fluids and max change intervals.

The only way to figure out a good OCI is the get a UOA done. Don't change the oil filter until max interval unless the block is sludged up and cut the max interval for the oil in half if you race, short trip a lot or off road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Krykie!! A great white.
We need a bigger boat.

What does "Krykie" mean anyway ? Maybe one of you Australian dudes could fill me in.
confused2.gif

Something Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwin used to say.
Just means "wow".

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

I would DYOR (Do Your Own Research) if not under warranty

The LM oil finder page is best as it will list all the options, fluids and max change intervals.

The only way to figure out a good OCI is the get a UOA done.

Castrol 10w40 I think Ford recommends, but that is from the factory.
I am guessing what oil you use changes as the engine ages?

Yep doing lots of research now.

Thanks will look at the LM page.

What is a UOA?

Crikey is as old as the hills, as Greatwhite7 pointed out is used in surprise. My grandparents used it instead of something blasphemous usually.

Someone tells you a story of some near miss that occurred, and oft the response will be crikey.

Smacking the bottom of a "dead'orse" bottle, and it spoldges on the table, you say Crikey.

also an Oz political Blog
https://www.crikey.com.au/

I would DYOR (Do Your Own Research) if not under warranty

The only way to figure out a good OCI is the get a UOA done.

What is a UOA?

Check too see what Castrol list in their UK or AU web site.
I presume by Castrol 10w40 you mean Magnetec 10w40, which is quite a good oil (Better than GTX).

UOA stands for used oil analysis. You take 200ml mid stream just before changing the oil and filter, then post it to an oil lab (Not sure if you have a cheap one down under). I use Blackstone as they will post you free sample bottles and have a good data base of average results to compare with. Alas a TBN costs another 10 usd (Basic analysis is 25 usd) and they e-mail the results with no Spam.

What is a UOA?

I've got the manual pages from a couple of XR-6 turbos, and Ford clearly have 15W40 for those engines.

As to the Oil suppliers recommendations
Castrol Edge 0W40, or Magnatec 10W40 (see my comments re HTHS)
Mobil Mobil 1 0W40, or Mobil S2000 X2
Penrite HPR10 full synthetic (10W50), or semi synth 15W40
Shell chicken out, and want a phone call
(Liqui)moly SUPER LEICHTLAUF 10W-40, TOURING HIGH TECH 15W-40
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn LONGLIFE SAE 5W-40
Valvoline VALVOLINE PROFESSIONAL SERIES 15W-40, Engine Armour 15W40

Your Ford engine is unique to Australia, so the recommendations look strange to O/S viewers.

I'd still stick to either Penrite Race 10W40 (preferably) or M1 5W50 ... Penrite have a 10-tenths 0W50, but I'm not sure I would go there.

UOA is a "Used Oil Analysis", I can PM you links of companies that offer them, $35-$45ish, and they tell you oil condition and a few other things like wear metals and additive concentrations.

But for a 10,000km oil change, using one of the above synthetics, it's a doddle, and I wouldn't be bothered. Ford offer 10,000 on dino 15W40.

Check too see what Castrol list in their UK or AU web site.

Did the UK get the falcon with the Turbo inline 6 ?

I didn't know that they were exported in that direction, just the Holden Monaros...you should buy one, they are going to be collectors items when Ford shut down Oz production.

Hi Mate,
And welcome !!

Right now SuperCheapAuto is having an oil sale (15 to 26 June).

It's 15% Penrite EveryDay Full Synthetic 10W-40, not sure of the HTHS, but if you email them, they will tell you.

They also have the Penrite 10-Tenths Racing, Full Synthetic 10W-40 on sale. As Shannow said, it's bang on for what you want.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

BTW Castrol GTX 15W-40 has a HTHS of 3.95 according to their spec sheet. Is this a little on the low side ?

SR5, i was probably a little over the top at 4.4-4.5. being the top end...and that's for 15+ cst HDMOs.

3.95 is pretty low 'though.

UOA stands for used oil analysis. You take 200ml mid stream just before changing the oil and filter, then post it to an oil lab (Not sure if you have a cheap one down under). I use Blackstone as they will post you free sample bottles and have a good data base of average results to compare with. Alas a TBN costs another 10 usd (Basic analysis is 25 usd) and they e-mail the results with no Spam.

Not sure which castrol oil but have emailed them and Ford.

Pretty full on but I will try to source a lab that might be able to do the work cheaply.
It depends on the demand and there might not be much of that here down under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back