What oil - 1993 Cbr 900, 07 Cbr1000rr & KTM 690

Status
Not open for further replies.
G’day,

Just a quick question about motorbike oils.

I recently read the oil 101 info a few months ago & looked at oils in a different light. With this knowledge I then posted/received excellent info, then using a different oil in my old bmw e36 – 318i (Shell advance 5w/40) with great results.

Im after similar ideas, thoughts with regard to oils for my bikes.

1.Cbr 900 Fireblade 1993 (yep original one) – previously used Hondas GN4 10w/40
40k kms on clock. Road use.

2.Cbr 1000rr Fireblade 2007 – previously used Motul 5100 10w/40
50k kms on clock. Road and track

3. KTM 690 Enduro R 2012, set up for the road in supermotard trim
11k. Road,track,dirt.

This is where I have no experience re oil for this KTM. Lots of forum info on supermoto junkie etc – all saying you have to use Motorex 10w/60 4T.
Some use Motul 10w/50
Some Shell Fully Sin 4T 10w/50

Oil spec from KTM manual is Jaso T903 MA SAE 10w/50 or 10w/60 can be used.

Note : this bike has a factory slipper clutch

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Having owned many big-bore sportbikes over the last 30 years, and having tried pretty much every oil on the market during that time, I haven't found an oil I like better than Motul 300V.

A close second would be Redline M/C oil.

If I were you, Id run something not expensive, so you could change it out every 1000 miles or so for the first 10,000 miles. Then switch to expensive higher end oils , to run longer intervals.

All oils will contaminate in early miles, so longevity wise the more flushing of debri, the better off you are in the long run.

Like any diesel 15w40 in the early miles, then later if you have the bucks a 15w50 motul, for longer runs.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Honda GN4. In fact,I would use it in both your Hondas,and use the Motul in the KTM. Never found a better shifting oil than GN4.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
If I were you, Id run something not expensive, so you could change it out every 1000 miles or so for the first 10,000 miles. Then switch to expensive higher end oils , to run longer intervals.

All oils will contaminate in early miles, so longevity wise the more flushing of debri, the better off you are in the long run.

Like any diesel 15w40 in the early miles, then later if you have the bucks a 15w50 motul, for longer runs.

+ half a billion

Thanks for all the input people.

KTM has 10k kms on it and was owned by a very good mate, who i ride with.
I know the oil was changed very regularly, filters etc being from a mx racing background all his life and sportsbikes too. Similar to me really.

Prob GM4 for the old Cbr900 and the motul 5100 for the cbr1000 and the Ktm 690 is looking the way at the moment.
Thnk my mate used 300v but i'll check with him when he returns from the oil rigs (no pun intended)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back