What is the benefit of using Lube Gard Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
This may be perfect for the Corolla then. It still has the OEM fluid in it (WS) and is at 126k. I want to change it out soon since it is pretty dark. No issues other than color of fluid. Ie. hard shifts, slipping, etc.

Lubegard is your call, but do change your fluid a couple of times. I bought a used 2010 Vibe from Carmax in 2010 with about 29k miles. I changed the ATF and was surprised by what came out. The fluid was really dark and also had a gray sheen, but didn't smell bad. I sampled another pan drain soon after, and it came back with high aluminum. I did one more drain and fill, then dropped the pan and changed the filter, and started draining the pan at every oil change (just over 2.5 quarts). Aluminum is trending down and the trans has given me no trouble.

If your Corolla has the 4-speed, the drain plug takes a 10mm Allen socket. NAPA has a good replacement plug gasket, #ATM PB2403. This is thick like the stock one--my NAPA also had one that was a lot thinner. I got several changes out of my factory gasket, but it's good to have a new one on hand. A drain & fill takes 2.7 quarts, and the filter change took about 3 quarts.

I have used about two bottles of LG at the recommended 1oz. per quart over the last 50,000 miles, and can't say I noticed any effects good or bad. The trans does nothing unusual and shifts like it always has. I switched from WS to Maxlife for the last two changes or so.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
I've seen a lot of people use LG in their trans fluid. What is the benefit to it? Does it actually do anything? Or is it a mental effect of thinking it is helping a transmission last longer. If there is indeed good evidence that it will make a tranny last longer, I may have to try it
wink.gif

I don't think there is any credible evidence of LG Red prolonging a transmission.

The only advantage I can see is its ability to clean valves and servos that have varnished, due to infrequent ATF changes or ATF overheating.

Some of us may remember that this is the only aftermarket additive I have ever seen mentioned in a TSB (from Ford years ago).

An interesting product that helped me with a rough shifting 85 Supra once upon a time...

I've been complaining about hard shifts in my truck. I was told be careful what I wish for, "smooth as silk" shifts means slipping clutches..
shocked.gif

I use Lubegard red in my truck, but where I've seen the biggest success was in my 35 year old diesel forklift. I purchased it used and the automatic transmission was slow to engage, and it started slipping more as time went by.

I dropped the trans pan, replaced the filter and refilled with fresh fluid, but I substituted one quart with a quart of Lubegard red. After 5 minutes of shifting from forward to reverse and driving a few feet each time the engagement became immediate and the slipping went away. I have had no problems since and the transmission operates perfectly.

I can't say for certain the Lubegard made the difference, but I had nothing to lose and couldn't be more pleased with the outcome.

Just another vote for LG Red working. My 05 V6 Highlander was hesitating, almost jerking, when slowing down and then starting back up for years. Added 10 OZ of Lubegard red and now it is very smooth all through the gears, up and down...

PS, I have been changing the ATF (drain and refill about 4 qts) every 20,000 miles.

Last edited:
My first experience with the lubegard red was with my old 03 Corolla. It was shifting a little harshly with an aftermarket fluid and I decided to add some lubegard until I changed it again. It made such a huge difference in the shifting quality that I haven't looked back since. Every vehicle I have gets it except for the F100 since it takes type F. Is it prolonging these transmissions? I have no idea but if all's I get from using it as peace of mind I'll keep on doing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back