What is considered too warm for Oil Temps?

Two different posters have mentioned hitting 265-275F on 5W20 in their 5.7L HEMI's during towing.

I have personally seen 240-245F while driving on steep-ish mountain passes on Hwy 17 in AZ w/o towing. Normal driving is usually 210-220F.

What is considered too warm?

Edit:

Looks like a different poster got up to 291F while towing. Seems excessive. I wonder if these people are way overloaded?

Last edited:
That's some heavy heat brotha. 265F Even while towing would have me in mental fitz! Any idea what the trans temps are during the 265F + period of use?

That's some heavy heat brotha. 265F Even while towing would have me in mental fitz! Any idea what the trans temps are during the 265F + period of use?
Not sure - I have not towed with mine. But my trans fluid usually stays at 200F or lower.

Two different posters have mentioned hitting 265-275F on 5W20 in their 5.7L HEMI's during towing.

I have personally seen 240-245F while driving on steep-ish mountain passes on Hwy 17 in AZ w/o towing. Normal driving is usually 210-220F.

What is considered too warm?
Where is the Oil Temp being taken from on these 5.7L Hemi's?

You have the heat exchanger though, apparently the DS trucks don't, or most of them don't. Mine never gets that hot, but it's a DT.

If you have the heat exchanger, it's going to track reasonably close to coolant, and that's what mine does.
All of the above examples were on DT trucks.

oil temps vary in different parts of an engine + oil is specd at 100C + depending on its base oils it continues to thin after that + machinery lubrication notes for a 50 degree rise oil degrades twice as fast!!! todays fake synthetics are better cold or hot + REAL synthetics are even BETTER!!

All of the above examples were on DT trucks.
I assume they have signatures that I can't see? I mean, I know the board is 5th gen rams, but I would participate in the non-E39 bimmer forums, lol so I don't like to assume. In that thread, the temps are all over the map for the same conditions (hence my comment):

- 1st guy: "when towing near limits and doing the mountains, the oil temps go to 230-238 for a bit" - Which sounds perfectly normal, and similar to what I see with mine.
- 2nd guy: "I'm hitting 275° towing and running at 245° constantly when towing at 80°F ambiant, - 3rd guy: "I tow 7k travel trailer with 2020 5.7 etorque. Live in CA and pulled to CO, MT, ID, Canada, etc., up lots of mountain-type highways and roads, will hit 265 oil temp pulling up bigger hills/altitude mostly in summer, and up to 4k rpm" - This sounds maybe high-normal for towing something that big and un-aerodynamic up those hills? I notice he has eTorque like you.

Then the 2nd thread, the OP with 287F, that sounds REALLY hot. As he notes, he's basically hitting the TFL Gauntlet temps, which were to the floor towing 10K over 11 miles.

2nd guy in that thread saw 230's, consistent with the 1st guy in the 1st thread.

3rd guy: "FWIW, I towed our 5000 pound GVW travel trailer north out of Lewiston, Idaho (5 miles long, 7% grade; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewiston_Hill) a few months ago. My oil temperature never got higher than 230." - Consistent with mine and the other two guys.

4th guy: "
owed my enclosed trailer roughly 9 hours (3+ hours there / 2 1/2 hrs between houses / 3 hours home) this past Saturday. She weighed anywhere from 3,600lbs empty on the way out to north of 8k lbs loaded moving my friends stuff from his garage to his new garage. A/C blasting the whole time.. it was hot as hell Saturday.. mid 90's F.

Temps were normal, even on longer uphill pulls at 67mph. (pic below) Trans never got above 187F, coolant got to 210F, and oil touched 230F for a few minutes when I was passing a semi."

However, he makes this comment: "I believe the Longhorn and Limited's all came with the heavy-duty cooling / tow package. Mine has the brake controller from the factory and 3.92's."

He may be onto something. Our "sport" trim doesn't exist in the US IIRC, but it's essentially a Rebel and we have the tow package with controller. I'm wondering if that plays in here and explains the differences between some of these trucks?

However, he makes this comment: "I believe the Longhorn and Limited's all came with the heavy-duty cooling / tow package. Mine has the brake controller from the factory and 3.92's."

He may be onto something. Our "sport" trim doesn't exist in the US IIRC, but it's essentially a Rebel and we have the tow package with controller. I'm wondering if that plays in here and explains the differences between some of these trucks?
After reviewing the second link, it appears that the poster with the 291F screenshot experienced this after a long uphill tow at >100F ambient temps. He reported a somewhat lower temp after performing the same run during a cooler time.

According to the current configurator, I do not see any option for a "heavy duty cooling/tow package," so I think all Rams are equipped in the same manner.

After reviewing the second link, it appears that the poster with the 291F screenshot experienced this after a long uphill tow at >100F ambient temps. He reported a somewhat lower temp after performing the same run during a cooler time.

According to the current configurator, I do not see any option for a "heavy duty cooling/tow package," so I think all Rams are equipped in the same manner.
Ours shows "Trailer tow group" on the build sheet as well as "Class IV hitch receiver", which, together, were $1,000.00 but they don't say anything about upgraded cooling.

Back