What is a good brand of 78 series battery these days?

wtd

I went to start my 98 chevy K3500 and it took several revolutions of the starter before it started but it sounded sluggish. It is in the teens temp wise. I checked the volage with my meter and it was at 12.23. I have a battery tester that I hooked up and it showed 12.18. The CCA were 383 with a battery rated at 800 CCa.

The tester said the battery was bad and the battery is just over 5 years old. It's a Duralast Gold.

Just curious what brand of SLI battery is considered good these days and has a good warranty? Thanks.

Sam's Club has a Group 78 AGM for $139:

It should be a East Penn Battery.
Get the Duracell. I got one in December, and when I got home, I threw it on my battery tester. Rated at 625 CCA, it tested at 900 CCA. I just ran upstairs to test it and it still shows 775 CCA after two months of service (at 10 degrees in my garage right now).

Reactions: wtd
Thanks for all of the replies. The Duracell battery looks promising. The only hesitation to that one is that the nearest Sam's Club is about 30 miles away and the weather has been bad here and supposed to get worse over the weekend.

I've used Walmart batteries in the past with decent results. I always have bought the Everstart Maxx versions.

This battery is not available at my local Sam's club. They have a different version that is $103 but the reviews are not that great. About the same as the Walmart Maxx battery.
Sorry. I wasn't clear enough in my previous post. I got the non-AGM battery.

Reactions: wtd
Get the Duracell. I got one in December, and when I got home, I threw it on my battery tester. Rated at 625 CCA, it tested at 900 CCA. I just ran upstairs to test it and it still shows 775 CCA after two months of service (at 10 degrees in my garage right now).
Most new batteries test above their CCA ratings. Midtronics even advises against using their tester that way. But when I worked installing them I'd tell the customer they got a "really fresh good one".

I ended up going with the Everstart Maxx from Walmart. 3 year warranty and the cheapest price of everything close by. It's a Johnson Controls battery so hopefully it will be good.

I may have shortened it's life a little bit because I turned it on it's side for a minute trying to get the insulated battery cover from the old battery on it and some of the acid leaked out. I didn't notice the leakage until I saw it on the ground.

I did end up exchanging my first battery for another one because it continued to leak acid out after I installed it and it was taking quite a few revolutions of the starter to start even though the battery did not really sound weak.

I tested it with my multimeter before I drove the 20 miles to where I had bought it and it was at 12.3 volts so not fully charged. I tested it again when I got there and it still was at 12.3 volts. Before I left it was charging at 15.2 . When I got there it was charging at 14.77

Back