what if i dont know what to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what if my service manual and owners manual do NOT list a spec for coolant? the only info i have is 'mobil coolant' and its supposed to be blue. however what is in the motorcycle is green.

so i dont know what i have, dont know what i should have. ive got a leak and the bike is 9 years old now so its time to change the coolant.

i understand you dont want to mix different chemistry coolants. i just dont know how to make a decision on what to use.
i assume no matter what i would need to do a very thorough flush before installing something that might not be compatable.

the engine is a wet sleeve design so i know theres steel/iron and aluminum in the system.

whatever i switch to i will stay with in the future. would a hoat such as zerex asian be ok?

Triumph blue coolant is a HOAT coolant. Zerex G05 is a direct replacement that can be bought at any parts store.

That's what I use in my Triumph Tiger.

forgot all about thatold post.

triumph dosnt have branded stuff(not my dealer anyway), first time i was there they did mobil everything. last time i was there it was castrol everything, even had a new castrol key chain.
that, and the fact they wouldnt repair my bike under warrenty because "we dont have a triumph tech", excuse me for avoiding my local dealer.

i should have just asked can i go from x coolant to y coolant so long as i flush it well and the new coolant is compatible with whatever metals i have.

g-05? isnt that the ford gold stuff?

Last edited:
Yes G05 was a replacement for Ford gold but it's chemistry is not manufacturer specific.

Trust me your Triumph uses HOAT coolant and G05 is the easiest to find on a Saturday and it's the cheapest you'll find.

curious though, hows the compatibility with zerex asisn, i have 5 gallons sitting here.

my parts store down the street has both so getting g05 is easy. just didnt know if i could use what i got.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Modern Prestone will work in just about anything. It's silicate free, so it won't wear out sensitive pumps.

Green Prestone in the Gold jug?

The green Prestone should work fine. At that age I would definitely do a flush of the cooling system with cleaner and distilled water, both to rinse out old coolant and to dissolve any corrosion or scale that has built up. Maybe even more important than on a car since bike systems tend to run under more thermal stress.

Run the flush + distilled water for a few hours of riding as long as your temps are above freezing, then drain it out and refill with 50/50 mix of coolant and water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back