what have you fit/carried in your wagon/hatckback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not fir a 20" rotary lawn mower in the trunk or back seat of my 2000 Audi S4 (handle folded), but it did fit in our smallest hatchback ever...2002 BMW MCoupe!

When I had my own landscaping business I carried all my equipment in the back of my 280Z
laugh.gif

An 8 foot step ladder fits inside a 1965 Impala 4 door. From rear window to front windshield.

1985 Mazda 626 made multiple trips to the lumber yard for 16 foot long cedar siding. Fit between the front seats and out the trunk. It had to be tied down to the front seat as about 7 foot stuck beyond the trunk. Found out the hard way on the first load when hit a bump and the load see-sawed to the roof.

Dewalt 14" radial arm saw with legs removed in a 1996 Mercury Mystique.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Four tires in back of the Matrix. Second time I've done that.

I've done that with my GS-R. I got the OEM 195/55R15 size, so they weren't particularly large. I actually had them delivered to work by Tire Rack and our admin signed for them. They were stored in our shower room until I could get them. I think I took two trips to my car. I ended up getting a shop two blocks from work to install them for $20 each. The overall cost was way less than if I had bought them from a tire shop which might have charged $15 each, along with sales tax.

Our division boss (not my immediate manager) actually came up to me mentioning that he heard I had tires delivered to the office. For a second I thought maybe I was in trouble, but he just asked me how it went and if the cost savings were worth it.

There was plenty of room for four tires. I think I could have gotten a dozen in there if I didn't need to see out the back.

Very good y_p_w. It's a little bit more work but worth saving hundreds. I shopped on Amazon right around the time DT/DTD were having a sale. Each tire was $44.50 in 205/55R16, 700 tread, Temp A, Temp A, Nokian eNTYRES. There were some Westlake tires on there for $29 each but the winter traction rating weren't too good so I passed on those.

Went to the Ford QuickLane for install which was $80 total including all fees. Had them do an oil change as well for $25. So $105 out the door. Had a coupon from the Toyota dealer for an alignment $69 with before/after printouts. So price for tires installed came to $275 out the door. When my dad had four comparable tires installed on his Camry they were $489.

My parents crammed a brand new dishwasher in the box into a 1986 Mercedes 420SEL, those old W126/W140 chassis Benzes had roomy passenger compartments. I've stuffed a HP Color LaserJet 4500 into the trunk of a Lexus LS400 with room to spare, the trunk lid barely cleared.

More recently on a camping trip, I had to take a friend home - he rode to the campsite on a 62cm Surly Cross-Check bike. He's also 6'2". I bought a moderately-sized cooler(Igloo Ice Cube), a backpacking pack and a tent with me. I managed to fit it all into a Prius - I installed a Yakima rack soon after that.

I've carried computer parts valued at over $100k in a $5k hatchback.

That was some years ago. Most stuff today is a cluster of commodity hardware.

I wish I had a photo of our Ford Edge from two months ago. Four adults and luggage for two weeks.

Tried to fit myself in the back of my 1989 Civic Hatchback Si...sleep that is. I went to camp at the Grand Canyon and stayed out too late. Got back to the campsite and it was too dark to see what I was doing to set up the tent. I didn't want to turn on my car lights and light up anyone else. I'm 6' and on the slim side, but it was a no go for sleeping in that cramped a space. Got lightly dressed and went out the rear hatch...without my keys! It was a long, chilly walk to the main lodge and listened to vacuums the rest of the night until a ranger came on duty to unlock my car.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
Tried to fit myself in the back of my 1989 Civic Hatchback Si...sleep that is. I went to camp at the Grand Canyon and stayed out too late. Got back to the campsite and it was too dark to see what I was doing to set up the tent. I didn't want to turn on my car lights and light up anyone else. I'm 6' and on the slim side, but it was a no go for sleeping in that cramped a space. Got lightly dressed and went out the rear hatch...without my keys! It was a long, chilly walk to the main lodge and listened to vacuums the rest of the night until a ranger came on duty to unlock my car.

Did you have a headlamp? I've got a 2-pole dome backpacking tent that I've used for car camping - at least until I got a larger tent. It took little space in the trunk and was super easy to set up. I could easily set that up wearing an old Petzl LED headlamp that's not super bright. However, I could imagine something bigger requiring more light especially with multiple poles.

Sounds like the old How Many People Can You Fit In A Mini. We got a motorcycle into one - took the seats out, took the wheels off the Husky 250 and put it in, no room for a passenger.

My Nissan NX Coupe was pretty small, but was big in the back. When I used to do my daughters lawns, I'd put my mower and weedeater in the back rather than use the trailer. I also fitted a plastic 209 litre (50 gal) drum back there, and a 180 litre hot water cyl...that was a real close fit, right up to the dash and touching the rear screen.

I know my Volvo 850 can take a coffin...mind you, I've also seen a coffin in a Mini van.

When I drove cab in the summer in universities, a couple years I was using a Caprice wagon. Customers occasionally confused it with a moving van, and me with a moving man.
wink.gif
With the seats folded back, you could fit all kinds of groceries and/or luggage in there.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Does my Sedona count? If so, I fit an entire sectional couch in the back with the 2nd and 3rd row seats pulled out/folded into the floor. It was a big sectional too. When it comes to an all-around practical vehicle, it's hard to beat a minivan. It's just a big station wagon, after all. Who doesn't love that?
smile.gif

hehehe,
those things like to be loaded and flogged...
I borrowed a friend's '08 Chrysler T&C. Seats in the floor, loaded to the gills, and the engine just give the good GRRRR and moved (trying not to be windshield splat on a semi because of a 35mph merger...) effortlessly.

Now i know why some of the soccer moms drive these and the in-vogue SUV/CUV like sport-tanks...: those things have 2-3 times the power of my tiny Yaris....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back