What happened to Tecumseh snowblower engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the MTD made blowers (Toro, troy built, white, yard man, bolens, Cub cadet, and a few others) have "MTD" engines that are just CHONDAS. Seems when Tecumseh went belly up they just went the cheapest route. In my experience, the Tecumsehs were the best cold weather engines, just seemed to start better in the cold.
Its a shame the went out of business, some parts for older engines are getting tough to find already.

Once upon a time, Honda (in a huge brain [censored]) sold out of tolerance castings and (rights to manufacture) their 200 CC motorcycle engines and some small engines to some VERY smart and forward thinking Chinese companies. What could it hurt? Some (now very, very wealthy) Chinese companies used the materials, plans, castings, etc to manufacture about a jillion junky, very cheap motorcycles, quads, mini bikes and little dune buggy contraptions and lots of small engines for junky mowers. In reality, the Chondas on newer equipment made within the last year or two is decent (not to be confused with great). Tecumseh signed their own death warrant when they made radical changes to carburetion trying to meet EPA standards, and always chose the cheap road when designing and manufacturing. The Snow King engines on snowblowers was the exception. Look your Chonda over carefully. Check to ensure bolts are tight hope for the best. They are getting better every year.

First I've ever heard that MTD makes Toro snowblowers. Low end lawn tractors sold at home depot, yes, snowblowers not that I am aware of. FWIW, my Toro is definitely not the same as the MTD units sold when I bought mine!

Not a fan of the Tec's in lawnmower applications, but the Snow King series was a very reliable performer. Made sure my blower had one based on past experience...

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
Once upon a time, Honda (in a huge brain [censored]) sold out of tolerance castings and (rights to manufacture) their 200 CC motorcycle engines and some small engines to some VERY smart and forward thinking Chinese companies. What could it hurt? Some (now very, very wealthy) Chinese companies used the materials, plans, castings, etc to manufacture about a jillion junky, very cheap motorcycles, quads, mini bikes and little dune buggy contraptions and lots of small engines for junky mowers. In reality, the Chondas on newer equipment made within the last year or two is decent (not to be confused with great). Tecumseh signed their own death warrant when they made radical changes to carburetion trying to meet EPA standards, and always chose the cheap road when designing and manufacturing. The Snow King engines on snowblowers was the exception. Look your Chonda over carefully. Check to ensure bolts are tight hope for the best. They are getting better every year.

So Honda did sort of sell and licenses China to make these Chondas?

My Sno-King (8hp, 1986 era) is noisy, grumpy, noisy, overly sensitive to carb issues, noisy, rough-running, noisy and a pig overall (and noisy). It works, but certainly doesn't strike me as the best quality option out there. Despite being coddled and cared for, I would never bet any serious money that it will start easily at any particular time. It usually does, but I'm not surprised to see the brand suffer. Every part seems to be cheaply cast, it's an ancient design etc...

My other OPE is Honda and Echo-powered. My mower has a commercial OHV Honda engine. With much less fuss it's carb is still perfectly new-in-box clean and it starts reliably and is fairly quiet. Unfortunately it seems underpowered for its displacement (subjective) in a mulching application. My power washer has the the OHC GC consumer engine with diaphragm carb. It's quiet, powerful, torque-y, no fuss, has seen many hours in commercial use but starts every time. I think because of the diaphragm set up and my relatively low use (only a couple of times a year) it usually requires 3-5 pulls to start the first time. Every Briggs I see in use in the neighbourhood seems to have the same carb issue causing oscillation and surging constantly while mowing.

I've never owned/used a good Subaru, Briggs Vanguard, or Yamaha OPE engine (unfortunately).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Someday when all I can get is equipment with "Chonda" engines, will be the day goats mow my grass.

Better get to the Goat auction Johnny! It`s not only coming,its already here.

Last edited:
I don't know but I prefer Briggs. I had them last a long time. My newer Briggs powered mower is the easiest starting, smoothest running I ever had. Much better than the Honda OHC. The Honda gave carb problems faster than any other I ever owned and never did work that good. I'm sure the commercial Honda is good but not worth what Honda charges.

I never could get why people say the Kawasaki is no good. I don't have much exprience with it, butit has an oil filter and seems like it would be a good engine.

The whole kit a caboodle. If they were infringing on Honda's patents and such, the engines would have to be smuggled into the US. Honda would have taken MTD and others to court a long time ago if they could. They probably regret the decision to make things available to their productive Chinese friends.

What I saw last night made me wonder what the world is coming to. Since when does Toro manufacture engines. The 2 stroker on the Toro snowblower I worked on last night had an engine manufactured for Toro. Can't remember the name. Not a Tecumseh, Honda, or Briggs. Thought for a minute it was a Chonda. Anyone know the scoop?

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I don't know but I prefer Briggs. I had them last a long time...

My the 358cc Tecumseh on my snow thrower has served me well, but I'm partial to Briggs, too. My 36-old Jacobsen/B&S lawnmower has survived my father's maintenance regime of one change a decade, and still cuts great. (Also makes a good skeeter fogger in tall grass)

Sad to see Tecumseh go. I suppose this means parts will be hard to come by now.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Wow where did you get the carb? It doesn't sound good for CHonda stuff. You may never know sometimes if you are getting the OE or a counterfeit.

In the case of my Honda mower's carb, it is the original Honda carb and is still junk I had to rebuild. The worst part is I'm not sure how you can really fine adjust that Honda carb setup because to get to the mixture screws you about have to take the air cleaner off. But then the carb falls off!

I ordered it online, I can't find the catalogue now, or I'd post their name. Complete and total garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is what I don't like about the Honda Engines {I better hide}
27.gif
. When the carb [censored] up like mine did, it will empty the contents of the gas tank into the crankcase [sticking float]. My engine was filled with gasoline diluted oil!!!!!! Not good. When the Tecumseh carb floats mess up it dumps gas out of the carb throat, onto the floor, not into the oil. IIRC Briggs are set up the same way. That alone can save an engine.

What I saw last night made me wonder what the world is coming to. Since when does Toro manufacture engines. The 2 stroker on the Toro snowblower I worked on last night had an engine manufactured for Toro. Can't remember the name. Not a Tecumseh, Honda, or Briggs. Thought for a minute it was a Chonda. Anyone know the scoop?

R-Tek by chance? These are the two stroke motors Toro acquired from Lawn Boy and has since sold to Briggs. They still use them though...

Since when does Toro manufacture engines. The 2 stroker on the Toro snowblower I worked on last night had an engine manufactured for Toro. Can't remember the name. Not a Tecumseh, Honda, or Briggs. Thought for a minute it was a Chonda. Anyone know the scoop?

There are thousands of engine factories in China. There is more than one different factory/company producing Chonda engines. Chonda is not a brand name. They also produce all sorts of low quality engines that are of their own design. (or highly based on another engine, but not a direct copy)

Homelite, for example, is making all their 2 cycle engines in China now. Or "having them made" rather...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Here is what I don't like about the Honda Engines {I better hide}
27.gif
. When the carb [censored] up like mine did, it will empty the contents of the gas tank into the crankcase [sticking float]. My engine was filled with gasoline diluted oil!!!!!! Not good. When the Tecumseh carb floats mess up it dumps gas out of the carb throat, onto the floor, not into the oil. IIRC Briggs are set up the same way. That alone can save an engine.

The 17 hp Briggs Intek on the riding lawnmower begs to differ with you. Happens to every brand...

I'm not familiar with 17 HP Briggs engines, I was commenting about my Honda. My Briggs mower and Tecumseh snow blower don't do that. I'll have to remember about the bigger Briggs engines. Poor design that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Someday when all I can get is equipment with "Chonda" engines, will be the day goats mow my grass.

If only they would come out with "attack goats", I would be all over that.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
The 17 hp Briggs Intek on the riding lawnmower begs to differ with you. Happens to every brand...

Not if the engine has a fuel pump. The cheaper riders with the high mounted, gravity fed fuel system will empty the entire contents of the tank through the engine in the event of a carb mishap.

Joel

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, so it appears that problem can be resolved by a better design. But with everything there is a trade off, the trade off is price.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
Since when does Toro manufacture engines. The 2 stroker on the Toro snowblower I worked on last night had an engine manufactured for Toro. Can't remember the name. Not a Tecumseh, Honda, or Briggs. Thought for a minute it was a Chonda. Anyone know the scoop?

There are thousands of engine factories in China. There is more than one different factory/company producing Chonda engines. Chonda is not a brand name. They also produce all sorts of low quality engines that are of their own design. (or highly based on another engine, but not a direct copy)

Homelite, for example, is making all their 2 cycle engines in China now.
Or "having them made" rather...

The Toro 2cycle snowblowers I have worked on are Lawnboy Duraforce engines. It is not a chinese engine, and Toro is not made by MTD. But who knows what labels cross paths in power equipment anymore? MTD uses Chonda engines on almost everything but it's riders the last two model years. (Not bashing MTD, as I believe they have value if cared for) My uncle is a power equipment dealer is my source.

I have a 4 year old Chonda (jiang dong) engine on my backup generator. It has run fine right along with the honda at worksites. We often joke it is such a clone, we could interchange parts.
21.gif
Starts first pull, but the carb is drained after each use.

A better Carb might would have been my first move to save Tecumseh.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back