What Factors Are Swaying EV Adoption in the U.S.?

Im not so sure Toyota is behind vs producing the vehicles that the masses want right now and the profits their shareholders want. After all the stock is now at an all time high up 70% in the last year and still trades at only 10 times earnings. Maybe as their earnings and sales numbers keep rolling along they will slowly build out EV offerings.

GM and Ford went gangbusters on EV development and plans only to realize they did too much for what the demand would ahve been and cut back. Even though (at first glance today of 1st quarter results EV sales are up 15% they did take a charge of about a billion plus dollars for unsold ones on lots. Still their profits for the quarter blew away the 1st quarter of 2023 and exceeded all predictions. Now with their paired down expectations they will still churn out EVs but not like what was planned.
I just want to clarify having a bunch of EVs or not is not a show of success in my opinion. Toyota more recently and Kia/Hyundai have continued to make more affordable options while almost every other manufacturer has focused on trucks and SUVs. Toyota’s focus on CAFE seems to be to make a boatload of hybrids and make the regular Corolla extremely efficient. The result of incremental improvements across the board. I do see a lot of new Corollas here. Hyundai is on a big push for EVs and still offer their small cars. I still think small cars would be a great way to make strides in the market and I think it’s under served. It seems to be working for Toyota.

Ford and GM gave up on cars. They make more expensive vehicles as a result. The whole push to buy an American badge isn’t an option for most that want a new affordable vehicle. There’s the Envista/Trax, but I don’t think they’re selling specifically because it’s playing a crossover. It’s a sorely lacking price point it sits in and cheap will sell.

They need to figure out what the masses want. I know I’m not the masses. I’ll keep buying my niche vehicles. Those don’t necessarily keep the light on. If they can’t sell to the vast majority of the people, there won’t be a company to make the stuff I want. It seems to most common complaint is the cost of new vehicles and more standard tech and options than we need causing it. I wonder how much of that can be attributed to only making higher trim larger vehicles? I’d say it’s safe to say that’s a huge part of it. Those aren’t cheap.

I just want to clarify having a bunch of EVs or not is not a show of success in my opinion. Toyota more recently and Kia/Hyundai have continued to make more affordable options while almost every other manufacturer has focused on trucks and SUVs. Toyota’s focus on CAFE seems to be to make a boatload of hybrids and make the regular Corolla extremely efficient. The result of incremental improvements across the board. I do see a lot of new Corollas here. Hyundai is on a big push for EVs and still offer their small cars. I still think small cars would be a great way to make strides in the market and I think it’s under served. It seems to be working for Toyota.

Ford and GM gave up on cars. They make more expensive vehicles as a result. The whole push to buy an American badge isn’t an option for most that want a new affordable vehicle. There’s the Envista/Trax, but I don’t think they’re selling specifically because it’s playing a crossover. It’s a sorely lacking price point it sits in and cheap will sell.

They need to figure out what the masses want. I know I’m not the masses. I’ll keep buying my niche vehicles. Those don’t necessarily keep the light on. If they can’t sell to the vast majority of the people, there won’t be a company to make the stuff I want. It seems to most common complaint is the cost of new vehicles and more standard tech and options than we need causing it. I wonder how much of that can be attributed to only making higher trim larger vehicles? I’d say it’s safe to say that’s a huge part of it. Those aren’t cheap.
Good conversation, all is good, different points of view. It is true, in my eyes only that you are "not the masses" I mean, after all we have to acknowledge that GM is the top selling car manufacturer in the USA and its a extremely competitive marketplace in the USA never mind China too.

I dont understand the buy American isnt an option when again GM is the top selling brand. True, their less expensive line up, like the Trax is made overseas, others in Mexico but a significant amount in the USA too.

So they gave up on cars maybe because they know the demands of the market and that is how they stay on top. Being they are on top, I don think they need to figure out what the masses want. They got it figured out and it's not 4 door sedans. I do think this is a huge problem for Tesla in the USA and they will get buried in the USA marketplace if GM pulls off a like priced (compared to a model 3) SUV ... but maybe they wont bother... I dont know either but their latest 1st quarter earnings today blew away even the highest estimates and their future guidance was raised even more. They are knocking the doors off all expectations.

Tonight we will hear from Tesla earnings and outlook. I SUSPECT that maybe they will make some kind of announcement to give their investors hope. It will be interesting, they desperately need to contain this downward spiral and I do not think Elon Musk and its board is up to the task. Time will tell.

BTW- if you ever notice I do not include Ford in my posts, I know nothing about them and never had a desire to own one, except when I was 16 years old and my sister gave me her 1966 Mustang 🙃

I'm neither for nor against EVs. I know government mandates are coming but I think as we get closer those will get pushed back. I'm not a fan of the existing EVs or EV companies. If at some time it makes sense and I like the vehicle then I'll consider getting an EV. Right now I like my current vehicles and I'm not shopping for news ones. I think there are a lot of people out there who feel the way I do. We're not not buying EVs for any other reason than we're not looking or we don't like what's available or they don't make sense in our lives.

Good conversation, all is good, different points of view. It is true, in my eyes only that you are "not the masses" I mean, after all we have to acknowledge that GM is the top selling car manufacturer in the USA and its a extremely competitive marketplace in the USA never mind China too.

I dont understand the buy American isnt an option when again GM is the top selling brand. True, their less expensive line up, like the Trax is made overseas, others in Mexico but a significant amount in the USA too.

So they gave up on cars maybe because they know the demands of the market and that is how they stay on top. Being they are on top, I don think they need to figure out what the masses want. They got it figured out and it's not 4 door sedans. I do think this is a huge problem for Tesla in the USA and they will get buried in the USA marketplace if GM pulls off a like priced (compared to a model 3) SUV ... but maybe they wont bother... I dont know either but their latest 1st quarter earnings today blew away even the highest estimates and their future guidance was raised even more. They are knocking the doors off all expectations.

Tonight we will hear from Tesla earnings and outlook. I SUSPECT that maybe they will make some kind of announcement to give their investors hope. It will be interesting, they desperately need to contain this downward spiral and I do not think Elon Musk and its board is up to the task. Time will tell.

BTW- if you ever notice I do not include Ford in my posts, I know nothing about them and never had a desire to own one, except when I was 16 years old and my sister gave me her 1966 Mustang 🙃
There’s definitely a couple of arguments on what killed the car and I do find it to be a multi pronged attack. The thing is that people are still buying cars and a 41mpg CAFE average when making them taller can qualify under the 26mpg standard is pretty telling.

I don’t think premium cars do well. By the time you’ve spent that money you’re in an SUV easily too. I think I see a decent amount of new Corollas because they’re cheap and there aren’t many options in the segment for a hatchback. Most hatches now are expensive turbo performance models.

As far as Tesla cars go I know the numbers say that the Model Y is their top seller. I see some, but the vast majority of Teslas I see are 3s and Model S. I can go months without seeing a Model X. If they pulled the plug on car models I don’t know what my next focus would be.

Ford is never my first choice these days, except the Lightning is the only EV I really want right now that I can stomach the price. That price is only because they haven’t sold well. It’s overkill in a few metrics, but considering it’s not a good long haul tow rig and I don’t do that, I wouldn’t find those limitations. Would be nice if it wasn’t 7k lbs. I’m the perfect buyer for all the reasons I dislike. A person that would constantly use an open bed that doesn’t actually need a truck beyond that. Not sure a camper twice a year when I actually start earning real vacation in 3 more years counts. I finally get it. I have to escape the rat race now that I see a chance. It’s already been 7 years of hopping around to get there and I’m not even there yet.

I could think of a much smarter EV truck based on the Maverick and I would think that could still handle a small camper twice a year.

@Torrid
I was surprised to read this ... maybe because I am in "retirement" mode or for whatever reason ... but I never imagined that the average selling price is this. Part of today's earnings release. (ok, now I better get go do some yard work ... *LOL*)

"GM's pricing on its vehicles is holding up. Caldwell said as of midmonth, GM's average transaction price was about $49,500, consistent with the same period last year. Jacobson said GM ended the quarter with dealers having an average of about 63 days of inventory, which he said is a good level for going into the spring. A healthy inventory is about a 60-day supply."

@Torrid
I was surprised to read this ... maybe because I am in "retirement" mode or for whatever reason ... but I never imagined that the average selling price is this. Part of today's earnings release. (ok, now I better get go do some yard work ... *LOL*)

"GM's pricing on its vehicles is holding up. Caldwell said as of midmonth, GM's average transaction price was about $49,500, consistent with the same period last year. Jacobson said GM ended the quarter with dealers having an average of about 63 days of inventory, which he said is a good level for going into the spring. A healthy inventory is about a 60-day supply."
That meets the statistical averages across the country. The offer more affordable options than Ford and Dodge though, so I see how they landed on the average sale price.

Sure but I imagine like BMW and Mercedes running through car washes is a no-no and you must be diligent with removing grease, saps etc

Right...same for Kia. Requires specialized products which are readily available on Amazon. I do use touch free car washes...but they must be wax free, so the rare wash that does just a touchless wash and spot free rinse. No waxes, polishes, soft-touch washes, or even brushes or terry towels (micro-fiber only).

But really it still isn't "hard", just different.

Ok now, it is only temporary so no problem with dropping 100 large to get the truck. So, nothing to see here, everyone move on.
If it's one vehicle, yes. I remember the Escalade that died and wouldn't start going down the highway with 50 miles on the odometer that everyone freaked out about. Is it a problem? Of course. If it's a one off and fixed, there's not really a whole lot to say.

Vehicles are insanely complicated these days. GM still has the reset problem that occasionally requires disconnecting the 12V battery to reset the vehicle. I dealt with that for 20 years when I was still dealing with fleets. Saw that was still an issue in a review of one of the new EVs where that reset fixed the issue they were having at that time. It happens. It sucks. If we have the first world problem of having a slight issue with a $100k vehicle, we should all consider ourselves lucky to be able to afford a $100k vehicle.

If it's one vehicle, yes. I remember the Escalade that died and wouldn't start going down the highway with 50 miles on the odometer that everyone freaked out about. Is it a problem? Of course. If it's a one off and fixed, there's not really a whole lot to say.

Vehicles are insanely complicated these days. GM still has the reset problem that occasionally requires disconnecting the 12V battery to reset the vehicle. I dealt with that for 20 years when I was still dealing with fleets. Saw that was still an issue in a review of one of the new EVs where that reset fixed the issue they were having at that time. It happens. It sucks. If we have the first world problem of having a slight issue with a $100k vehicle, we should all consider ourselves lucky to be able to afford a $100k vehicle.
What I am waiting to see it when the gov (or those in charge) of moving as many of us as they can into EVs drops the bomb on the EV communities. The ones who are tooling down the highways with giddy looks on the faces when zooming past gas staions with sheer joy
are going to be in for a large surprise. Does anyone really believe for a moment the Fed / States or even small local governments are for one moment going to sit back and allow tons of folks who currently use ICE transportation who are required to pay fees thru fuel/road taxes or any and all other forms of transportation taxes / fees to simply jump ship and run to the EVs and then all those lost revenue streams are just going to be lost / dried up with no replacements.... NOT. Someone sooner or later "they" will devise a way thru either charging fees / taxes or some forms of road use/service charges the EV owners will have to step up to contribute to just like the ICE owners are currently required to ante up all of the time. NO ONE will ge the free rides many think they are lining up to enjoy. :oops:

What I am waiting to see it when the gov (or those in charge) of moving as many of us as they can into EVs drops the bomb on the EV communities. The ones who are tooling down the highways with giddy looks on the faces when zooming past gas staions with sheer joy
are going to be in for a large surprise. Does anyone really believe for a moment the Fed / States or even small local governments are for one moment going to sit back and allow tons of folks who currently use ICE transportation who are required to pay fees thru fuel/road taxes or any and all other forms of transportation taxes / fees to simply jump ship and run to the EVs and then all those lost revenue streams are just going to be lost / dried up with no replacements.... NOT. Someone sooner or later "they" will devise a way thru either charging fees / taxes or some forms of road use/service charges the EV owners will have to step up to contribute to just like the ICE owners are currently required to ante up all of the time. NO ONE will ge the free rides many think they are lining up to enjoy. :oops:
We pay these. It’s called road tax instead of gas tax. To punitive levels. It’s been covered ad nauseam on this forum. No one is getting a free ride.

We pay these. It’s called road tax instead of gas tax. To punitive levels. It’s been covered ad nauseam on this forum. No one is getting a free ride.
Thanks for that info. I am sure I missed lots of the ad nauseums... ;)
Lets just think if that money, well all of the road use + highway taxes and various vehicle fees (some states have way more ways to charge folks for anyting vehicle related than others) were used ONLY for needed updates, preventive maintenance and repairs how nice and safe our highways would be.... We can bet each and every state dips into those funds from time to time for any little thing they feel like. I hope I am wrong but since we have seen it happen all over with many other programs and fees..... I got to looking and found:

Last edited:
I buy a $300 cell phone with full awareness that it will be outdated in less than 6-8 months. I keep it 28-30 months then upgrade. The pace of improvements is so fast, it would really scare me to spend 60K on a EV and have it resemble my cell phone pattern.

Back