What constitutes a car lasting 200 or 300k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No major engine or transmission repair or failure when you properly maintain them.

Sister just sold her 2004 Honda CR-V auto with 225k miles on original transmission and engine which needed some work to get there over the years. Brother sold a 2008 Honda Accord manual with 200k miles with only repair being the AC compressor. Dad had a 1997 Chevy S10 manual with 180k before it got wrecked which needed very little work to get there.

Last edited:
1993 Civic, now 490,000 miles.

Keep oil clean and use a good synthetic oil.

Use magnetic oil filtration

Use a high quality synthetic oil filter

Had a 1988 Chevy Beretta 2.0L 5speed bought brand new. drove it off the lot with 16 miles on it. Traded it in in 1995 on a minivan (growing family) with 247k on it. Never did anything but change the plugs and front brakes twice. Oil on a 15k interval. Never touched the manual tranny, had the original clutch and even rear brakes (I downshifted alot). Original water pump let loose as I pulled into the lot to trade it in. I did not baby this thing and it'd go with a good tailwind.

Moral to this story... I'd say it's mostly luck.

Originally Posted By: HDoc
Had a 1988 Chevy Beretta 2.0L 5speed bought brand new. drove it off the lot with 16 miles on it. Traded it in in 1995 on a minivan (growing family) with 247k on it. Never did anything but change the plugs and front brakes twice. Oil on a 15k interval. Never touched the manual tranny, had the original clutch and even rear brakes (I downshifted alot). Original water pump let loose as I pulled into the lot to trade it in. I did not baby this thing and it'd go with a good tailwind.

Moral to this story... I'd say it's mostly luck.

That has to be luck because Berettas were ... Berettas.

Originally Posted By: harry j
1993 Civic, now 490,000 miles.

Keep oil clean and use a good synthetic oil.

Use magnetic oil filtration

Use a high quality synthetic oil filter
My Mazda went considerably farther than that with no engine wear or lubrication issues on conventional oil and regular paper filters.

Engine, transmission rebuild, frame rust out.

All other stuff really depends, but usually I'd say if it cost more than $2k to fix it makes the car not worth fixing at 200k miles, unless you really like that car.

Radiator, struts, engine mounts, steering, brakes, AC, etc are all debatable and many consider them wear items or can live without.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back