What car $5000, durability for long drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota Corolla for the win for the frugal commuter. Easy to find and easy to sell. Parts are cheap they made millions of them. Should get a 35mpg average. Timing chain and easy to do tuneups and oil changes. If you want a little sportier the Matrix is its cool brother..avoid the bigger engine.

Gen 1 Honda Insight is my winter beater.
They are cheap ($800 on up)

When the hybrid battery dies just disable it and keep trucking

300,000 + miles with simple maintenance,
Aluminum body won’t rust
And a $5 a gallon gas ready 50-80 mpg depending on driving style

No complaints from me, I know several folks over the 700,000 mile mark with original everything

Good Luck

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Corolla is the gold standard worldwide for reliability.

Isn't Camry a better highway hauler?

I guess that needs to be quantified, is the commute city or highway?

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Pre 2002 camry. Get the 4 cylinder 5sfe engine and drive the wheels off of it. Solid cars at 80 on the highway and dead reliable. Don't be afraid of the belt driven engine. It's non interference so if the belt breaks it's not a problem and it's one of the most simple timing belts to do there is. 2 hours of ship time or 4 hours in your driveway with hand tools. Don't buy a chain driven motor over a belt driven engine like this just for the sake of not doing the belt. I've had 2 chain driven engines in recent history (Nissan vq35 in g35 and ford 2.3 turbo in mazdaspeed6) both had design issues which cause the chain needing to be replaced to the tune of $1000+ each. On the other hand we have a matrix now that with the chain driven 1zz and it'll never need doing.

I think I had 6-8 hours into mine? but first time ever. FWIW on the 5S-FE they are notorious for losing the o-ring on the oil pump, which is of course driven off the belt. Well worth fixing while you are in there, which will add time.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Buick somethingorother. You can find one with low mileage for a pittance.
Cheap enough you could spend the extra$$ on maintenance and tires.

+1

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Camry and Accord are both great choices.

The Echo is also a good car, very economical and simple, and has lots of space inside (within a few cubic feet of the Camry of the time, in fact) The Scion xA is also good, basically an Echo wagon, with the same virtues. Don't forget about the Matrix/Vibe, too.

There's also the Suzuki Aerio (available as both a sedan as well as the Aerio SX wagon), and later the Suzuki SX4 (in both sedan and wagon form). You may be able to get a Kizashi in your price range and possibly be still under warranty (they left the US after 2013, but they are still honoring their 7-year/100k warranties)

OP,
also Kia Rondo and Mazda5 (change the 17" wheels to the more available 16" size from a Mazda3).

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

People on here claim you can wring 25+ mpg from them, but I do not believe them. Certainly not the older ones.
I might be difficult to find a low mileage example that has already had the LIM gaskets done. That would be the BITOG dream right there.

My elderly father had a Buick Lesabre 3.8L V/6 that he claimed was getting 31 mpg on the highway, I told him that I didn't believe him and not to trust the mpg display in the car. He showed me proof that it actually WAS getting this kind of mileage with his gas receipts and odometer readings. He didn't drive like a "bat out of heck" but he did keep up with traffic. Impressive for such a big comfortable car. The car also proved to be very reliable and durable.

2006+ Mercury Grand Marquis

I say 06+ because they got a little beefier auto trans and it's toward the end of the run (model-specific bugs are pretty much gone), but even earlier ones are super durable (except 2003 with the rear diff issues). You can have them dirt cheap with low miles and have been driven by grandma and grandpa and dealer maintained, most PI vics have probably had a much harder life. They're nice drivers and aren't that great on gas around town, but surprisingly good on the highway.

Post-Grandparent Buick... or Ford Fusion

At 5K for any Camry or Honda, you are looking at higher miles. Despite being better cars overall, they are going to need more attention as they will have more wear.

Buicks will be better in the 5K range. Durable and comfortable with less hard wear. They will have fewer miles at this pricepoint. Economy will be better than you expect, especially at highway crusing.

The other option would be a used Fusion. They are not Camry reliable but they are better than average. They have been fantastic in my fleet so far. Because they have been making them forever, there should be some decent lower-mileage options. Mileage is good and economy is "ok", not as good as other 4-cyc but decent.

Last year we bought a 2006 Buick Lacrosse with 38,000 miles for $ 6250 , out the door . It is a second car / road car & we do not drive it much .

Currently getting 19 MPG in town & best I remember it does over your 25 MPG goal , on the high way . Running the A/C .

Very nice condition , very nice car .

Hitch_Toad.jpg

Last edited:
Sis drives around 25k a year. Needed something cheap to buy, and cheap to keep on the road.

Last year, I found a 2011 Ford Fusion with the 2.5 engine. She's getting 26mpg in mixed city and highway driving, and running the AC. Would assume highway driving is near 30mpg.

Seems to have been a good find and a good buy. Nothing but oil and filters so far.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

People on here claim you can wring 25+ mpg from them, but I do not believe them. Certainly not the older ones.
I might be difficult to find a low mileage example that has already had the LIM gaskets done. That would be the BITOG dream right there.

Incorrect. I have a pure highway commute, in my LeSabre just this morning at 55mph I got 42mpgUS 5.5L/100km for over 20 miles on flat ground. Increase the speed to 60mph and fuel economy drops to above 37mpgUS. 70mph it drops to the mid to low 30's. Mine is no spring chicken either at over 132,000 miles on the odo.

Look for anything with the 3800 in it and you are golden.

Corolla for another commuter winner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I've never understood the idea of having another car to save miles on the nicer car.

I put as many miles on my Sonata as I can. That's why I bought it.

But if you want a simple, boring, reliable, cheap car, get a 97-01 Camry. Might be able to find a really nice granny one. Or a Lexus ES300 or ES330, same bones as a Camry, just nicer.

Makes sense to me if you want to run a work car and save something nicer from getting trashed. Makes more sense than hoarders buying up a dozen cases of oil just because there's a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back