What all future cars need are Toilets

How many of the loyal BITOGers have been on a long road trip either by themselves, with a significant other or even a bunch of rowdy kids. Instead of reaching Niagra Falls before dark, you stop at every rest stop because somebody needs to pee or defecate. Why havent auto makers somehow addressed this with a sort of capture device built into the sear? This will be future technology that car companies need to prioritize.

You could just have the whole family do a Fleet Enema before the trip, you'll be able to last a 15 hour road trip with only gasoline stops.
That may solve one problem, but doesn't help the bladder.

Nah. My kid would always fall asleep during the trip. I we went to Reno or Tahoe from the Bay Area it might need only one stop for gas. To Southern California might need about one or two stops. I always preferred to go to a rest stop anyways to stretch out.

Or one could mainline coffee and do something like this:

A story about the space program and an out-of-control love triangle would naturally capture attention, but the reported detail that Nowak wore diapers on her 900-mile drive in order to avoid bathroom breaks transformed the incident into irresistible fodder for tabloids and late-night talk shows alike (though Nowak's attorney would later insist his client never put on diapers).​

Besides adult and child diapers, there are other ways to deal with this.

Originally created to help men going through prostate surgery recovery or dealing with heavy incontinence issues. The Stadium Pal uses a leakproof external catheter and a urine bag that straps securely to your calf.​
The Portable Urinal Kit Includes:​
✔ 7 male external catheters
✔ 18″ flexible hose with connector
✔ 2 latex free straps
✔ A pee bag to collect the urine​

Not sure about the female version. They don't go into any of the gory details.

How many of the loyal BITOGers have been on a long road trip either by themselves, with a significant other or even a bunch of rowdy kids. Instead of reaching Niagra Falls before dark, you stop at every rest stop because somebody needs to pee or defecate.
I thought this was only a problem for old people.

You could just have the whole family do a Fleet Enema before the trip, you'll be able to last a 15 hour road trip with only gasoline stops.
Or,
maybe everyone just does a bathroom visit before loading?
I know - it sounds insane. But it usually works **** well. And you'll save a fortune in enema gear too. : )

The decision to put a toilet on the new Marine 1 helicopter for the President has resulted in a cost increase of over a billion dollers…

Each helicopter will cost 500 million, with around 20 needed, 10 billion total…
More than the new Air Force One…

I think a thing like this is all about perspective.

When we were kids, my dad wouldn't stop for anything. We used to pee into empty yogurt tubs so we didn't have to pull over. That lasted until the time 8 year old me overflowed the thing. I felt the worst for my mom who had to put up with that jackass.
So when I had kids, we did a better job of planning and regulating fluid intake. But I still drove like a bat out of hexx and had no problem with 700+ mile 14 hour days.

But everybody was miserable and at each other's throat by the end.

At some point it dawned on me that it really doesn't matter if we get to Niagara Falls by dark, especially if it means we're all miserable.

Slow down, take a breath, everything will be all right. So what if you get there tomorrow? Maybe your family will actually want to spend time with you!

I've done enough road trips to know that it is much easier to have everyone does the same thing at the same time together: bathroom break, food, stretches, wake up, etc.

What we need is a large enough rest stop with everything at a good price. Everyone walk to their favorite fast food / coffee / bathroom etc and come back in 5 mins. Then switch driver and keep going.

Caffine is key, you can do all the long driving you want but it wont do you any good if you fall asleep on the wheel.

How many of the loyal BITOGers have been on a long road trip either by themselves, with a significant other or even a bunch of rowdy kids. Instead of reaching Niagra Falls before dark, you stop at every rest stop because somebody needs to pee or defecate. Why havent auto makers somehow addressed this with a sort of capture device built into the sear? This will be future technology that car companies need to prioritize.

I've done enough road trips to know that it is much easier to have everyone does the same thing at the same time together: bathroom break, food, stretches, wake up, etc.

What we need is a large enough rest stop with everything at a good price. Everyone walk to their favorite fast food / coffee / bathroom etc and come back in 5 mins. Then switch driver and keep going.

Caffine is key, you can do all the long driving you want but it wont do you any good if you fall asleep on the wheel.

Once I was craving caffeine and found a coffee vending machine at a Caltrans safety rest area on I-5. I put my money in, heard it whirr, and it put out the whitener, hot water, and a tiny amount of coffee residue since it was actually out of coffee. Wasn't too happy about it, but I wasn't going to ask for a refund for 80 cents.

However, I've been to various rest stops where there were local groups that offered free coffee for anyone. Seen it once in California and another time in Washington state. It's my understanding that nobody is allowed to sell anything (or even take donations) at one other than the permitted vending machines, but they can get permission to give away coffee.

Best trip regimen is pre-planned rest stops every 4hrs. Off highway stop, food, gas, comfort. Back on the highway in 45 minutes or so. Only works with my brother and son. :cool:
Did a road trip recently, no issue with stops, just a few quick 5-10 minutes stops at good spots. If you're looking for a particular chain, Google maps is pretty good these days, just punch it in and it will find them on your route and it will tell you how much time it adds to the trip. I think on one leg of the trip, drove about 12 hours and was only off by about an hour from the initial google time estimate with no stops. That was 5-6 stops including lunch, dinner, breaks, gas, switching drivers etc. Basically no advance planning, stopped when we needed it or search for something along the route.

Did a road trip recently, no issue with stops, just a few quick 5-10 minutes stops at good spots. If you're looking for a particular chain, Google maps is pretty good these days, just punch it in and it will find them on your route and it will tell you how much time it adds to the trip. I think on one leg of the trip, drove about 12 hours and was only off by about an hour from the initial google time estimate with no stops. That was 5-6 stops including lunch, dinner, breaks, gas, switching drivers etc. Basically no advance planning, stopped when we needed it or search for something along the route.

My big trip is down I-5 down to Southern California. A really good stopping point is around Harris Ranch, where the smell is unmistakeable. It's one of the better places to stop because Tesla installed some charging stations. I don't know if I'd get gas there since I think it's only about two gas stations, but there are gas stations at the next stop.

Back