What a Show! NASCAR Chicago Street Race

I started watching NASCAR in either 1983 or 1984 and have ever since, 40 years.
However once they waved the rainbow flag on Twitter last month, that was it for me. I’m out.

The last segment was the race! I was pulling for the Kiwi and he schooled the home teams! He was later on the braking and earlier on the throttle than any other driver. Hope we get to see him on an oval soon.
He was the only one using the clutch to shift??

Would love to do the radio for sound but I would have to stream the radio broadcast. Then there is TV from youtube tv. I would guess the sound vs pic would be really off. It was when I had satellite tv with am radio broadcast. Would love to be able to do it though.

He was the only one using the clutch to shift??
So on the 5 speed XTrac gearbox they use in the Cup series now, you don't need to use the clutch to up or downshift. Shane was heel-toe shifting because that is what a lot of the Supercar drivers do even though they run a 6 speed version of the XTrac gearbox that Cup uses. They will use the clutch to settle the car into a corner. Obviously this also works on a Cup car, just no-one had ever done it.

The old 4 speed manuals used in Cup, and still used in Xfinity, Craftsman Truck, and ARCA Menards series, don't require the clutch to shift as well due to years and years of development work.

As an Australian it was awesome to see SVG get up for the win. I thought from the start he would be able to achieve a top 10 finish as this race is more similar to a lot of our races here, but a win was defiantly on the cards after qualifying, and when I saw that the race start was wet I thought that increased his chances as he has always been very good in those conditions.
If it was an oval it would have been a bigger learning curve as that would have been a totally new experiance. But he's quite a good steerer at nearly anything he jumps into. He's driven drift cars, sprintcars, GT3, rally etc.. and he does well at them all. I would think he would pick up the ovals a lot quicker than Ambrose did as a comparison.

So on the 5 speed XTrac gearbox they use in the Cup series now, you don't need to use the clutch to up or downshift. Shane was heel-toe shifting because that is what a lot of the Supercar drivers do even though they run a 6 speed version of the XTrac gearbox that Cup uses. They will use the clutch to settle the car into a corner. Obviously this also works on a Cup car, just no-one had ever done it.

The old 4 speed manuals used in Cup, and still used in Xfinity, Craftsman Truck, and ARCA Menards series, don't require the clutch to shift as well due to years and years of development work.
What do you mean heel toe shifting? They showed his left foot using the clutch.

What do you mean heel toe shifting? They showed his left foot using the clutch.
Heel toe is being on the brake with the right foot and tapping the throttle either with your heel or side of the foot to match revs, while the left foot does the clutching.

Probably going to start a fire here but I am not happy with NBC broadcasting these races now. I was always a JR fan but he and Burton should not be allowed near a microphone. They butcher the english language so badly, it's had to believe they took english classes in school. They do not have broadcast voices either.
It also seems NBC has more commercials than Fox did. I tuned in to watch a race and commercials broke out.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is a great great post…. In my strongest opinion.

Because loneryder has hit upon something many in television take for gr WAY too often…

I was a huge Dale Earnhardt jr fan… I liked Burton too.

But neither has a great TV voice…. Go watch old nascar races with…. Neil Bonnet, Benny Parsons, Ned Jarret, and Buddy Baker….

They ALL had the voice and ability to do live NASCAR races. The sound of peoples voices matter a lot on television and of course radio. And… Dale Jr and Jeff Burton have almost the exact same type sounding voice… NOT a good circumstance for tv broadcasting.

Bob Jenkins, Benny Parsons and Ned Jarret all had different and distinctive sounding voices… Mike Joy, Buddy Baker and Neil Bonnet did too. And later at Fox Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip and Larry Mc Reynolds had different voice sounds too.

Having two guys with the same type sounding voice is not smart or good broadcasting.

I have a voice that is really, really quite similar to Josh Turner…. If I were doing a broadcast I should not be paired with someone who sounds like Randy Travis.. . Because we would sound way too much alike and that is not good for a good broadcast.

It’s like the old WGN Cubs games… Harry Carey and Steve Stone were a great combination. Sounded different than each other with a voice able to do that type of voice work, they had great banter between them, and they genuinely liked each other and they enjoyed what they were doing.

Same thing was true with Pat Summerall and John Madden doing old NFL games. Exact same dynamics with them too.

To me great tv or radio broadcasts have those 5 elements make it a great broadcast team.

Last edited:
Got the lanyard when at the Route 66 raceway after the HPL event. Would have been neat to attend! At least I have swag!!

Back