What $500k USD buys in Beverly Hills, FL

Not bad. The hall and powder room bathrooms need a remodel. Too much property for me to want to maintain. It's nice to see a house like this. Something on the moderate <2000 sq ft size but really nice kitchen and master bath.

On an acre too.
Kind of amazing at the property prices in this Florida town. Also posted was a new construction with a four car garage for $625k USD. I don't know a single thing about the area- with the migration of so many people to Florida, I didn't expect the prices to be at this level, regardless of the location.

@GON are you in the market? Good luck!
It is wherever there is a job vacancy where I can get a job in certain markets. Only looking for jobs west of the Mississippi.

I was able to view this $829k property. What the advertisement for the property doesn't disclose is the property borders a cattle auction, and next to the cattle auction is an animal shelter. In addition, a cell tower 150 meters from the property, and the acreage has been cleared from all lumber, and the way the 60 acres are parceled there are constraints on how to use/ enjoy the 60 acres.

Kind of amazing at the property prices in this Florida town. Also posted was a new construction with a four car garage for $625k USD. I don't know a single thing about the area- with the migration of so many people to Florida, I didn't expect the prices to be at this level, regardless of the location.
It is likely the short term investment bubble bursting. Florida is supposedly a leading indicator of things to come in the housing market.

This home sold at auction for $440k. The home has not closed due to IRS problems. The home was vacant and for sale when that cold snap hit Texas in 2021. The pipes burst the house flooded and water flowed for days before being discovered. The interior needs to be gutted.

I would be a buyer at $440k USD for this property. There is a job vacancy in the town I qualify for, cute downtown and a TJ Maxx to keep my bride happy. Now issue rebuilding the interior. I can correct the mold situation.

In the last couple of years the killer of home ownership in Florida is homeowners insurance. It has skyrocketed in the last few years. And $300K doesn't buy much in Florida anymore. Few can afford to retire there like, "The Golden Girls".

"How much is homeowners insurance in Florida?...... The average home insurance cost in Florida is $4,218 a year, which is nearly $1,441 more than the national average of $2,777. These averages are based on the following coverage: $300,000 dwelling coverage".

In the last couple of years the killer of home ownership in Florida is homeowners insurance. It has skyrocketed in the last few years. And $300K doesn't buy much in Florida anymore. Few can afford to retire there like, "The Golden Girls".

"How much is homeowners insurance in Florida?...... The average home insurance cost in Florida is $4,218 a year, which is nearly $1,441 more than the national average of $2,777. These averages are based on the following coverage: $300,000 dwelling coverage".
$4,218 appears monster large for homeowners insurance. I wonder if there is a significant reduction in price for homeowners insurance for properties well away from the coast?

I've thought about moving somewhere much less populated in an area with beautiful scenery. It's very tempting to me. Would be an adjustment coming from where I've lived all my life but I'm open to it.

Typed in Pine Grove, SD to look at homes and somehow this property showed up from Beverly Hills, FL. Interesting at $500k USD.

BITOGer dream with 4 bays of garage and sitting on an acre.

Although not having walk in closets in every bedroom would be a pretty hard sell for my wife. And the kitchen would be a gut job for both her and I.

I would also have to factor in the cost of private schools because the public school ratings shown in the listing would 100% not cut it for me. That's probably not a factor for a lot of you guys but I had a kid late and it is a factor for me. I absolutely will not compromise on having a top flight school nearby either public or private.

I've thought about moving somewhere much less populated in an area with beautiful scenery. It's very tempting to me. Would be an adjustment coming from where I've lived all my life but I'm open to it.
Depends where one lives in New Jersey I suppose. I have been to parts of New Jersey that are story book nice.

Although not having walk in closets in every bedroom would be a pretty hard sell for my wife. And the kitchen would be a gut job for both her and I.

I would also have to factor in the cost of private schools because the public school ratings shown in the listing would 100% not cut it for me. That's probably not a factor for a lot of you guys but I had a kid late and it is a factor for me. I absolutely will not compromise on having a top flight school nearby either public or private.
Kudos to you for having education of your child #1 on your list of priorities. Some trends are pointing to more parents selecting private schools over public schools.

I actually like South Jersey a lot. Northwest NJ looks like Pa, hills/mountains. Northeast NJ is where the poor reputation comes from - industrial, congested and a suburb for NYC. There are many nice towns though too, in those areas. South Jersey is flat (used to be an ocean bed only 10k years ago) and has just a different vibe. Our beaches are very nice and I'm in close proximity to Philly, NYC, Pa and shore areas. So it's convenient for the most part.

Here is a very contrasting comparison on 20 acres in far northwest Nebraska, at $475k USD:
Dark. I'd have to buy about 50 gallons of paint to freshen that up at a minimum. The land and the barn are fantastic.

NE Nebraska. Burning hot summers, freezing cold winters. Blizzards. 100 miles to an airport with minimal service - Scottsbluff or Rapid City. On the flip side, Nebraska people are good folks, never known anyone that came from there that I knew personally that I didn't like.

Back