Were they using redline in my rear differential?

As some of you have seen in my other posts I bought a new to me 1999 dodge ram 2500 cummins with 210,000 miles and have been swapping out all the fluids. Now I typically do this with every used vehicle just to have a baseline because I always assume it just wasn't done.

Anyways, when I dumped the gear oil it was a nice bright red color to it. The only red gear oil I know of is redline. It's a dana 70 rear end, guess what was in there was better than what I put in. Lol I'm an amsoil fan, but I put valvoline in it just because I was going to do a short drain and flush, because I assumed it would be the original factory fill in there. Opinions?

I just did the diffs on my 2020 Tacoma with 75-85 Redline and it was not red in color.

Is it possible royal purple degrades to a red color? Or maybe it was an additive?

As some of you have seen in my other posts I bought a new to me 1999 dodge ram 2500 cummins with 210,000 miles and have been swapping out all the fluids. Now I typically do this with every used vehicle just to have a baseline because I always assume it just wasn't done.

Anyways, when I dumped the gear oil it was a nice bright red color to it. The only red gear oil I know of is redline. It's a dana 70 rear end, guess what was in there was better than what I put in. Lol I'm an amsoil fan, but I put valvoline in it just because I was going to do a short drain and flush, because I assumed it would be the original factory fill in there. Opinions?
Probably flush with Mobil1 synthetic as it's pao base too.
Redline wouldn't be my firsts choice for gear oil.
Only time I have ever used redline was as an addtive to clean out a neglected sluge engine.

Pretty sure Mystik JT7 gear oil is red.
It looked like that red n tacky grease made by Lucas it was really impressive looking whatever it was lol nice and thick and gooey between my fingers

Last edited:
Back