Weird private-label tire names

Currently in Ecuador. It seems that Goodride, Double Coin, and other Chinese brands are very common. They had General Tires in a department store at about $100.00 more than what I was quoted in the US for my wife's Santa Fe. I suspect that and the average monthly income being around $800.00 has something to do with it.

Goodride is super common in Canada as well.

Major brands are using Chinese factories more and more though.

Last time I looked at the tire section half the tires from major brands (Bridgestone, Firestone, Ubiroyal, Continental, etc) were made in China.

Pirelli is owned by a Chinese SOC so they are using their technology to improve production.

Reactions: CKN
My purchased used Lexus came with Rydanz Roadster R02s. At the time (2016), I went online and saw they were $87/ea on Walmart.com and it seemed that locally Mavis carried them. Despite the ridicule I faced on the car forum, I decided to keep them, and drove them 2016-2022. The "engineered in Europe," made in China seemed a bit of a stretch. But I extracted a lot of use from them. Dealers do this all the time, and I mean new car dealers selling used cars.

mine were 245/45-18

I remember there was a tire called Nankang or something that ripped off the Pilot Sport AS'. In a tire test, it was worse in the dry, than the Michelin in the wet. Now that's not too good....

I used to think "Firestones" tire brand is weird.

I mean does your car catch fire when you use Firestone tires?

It's a name, just like Baker or Smith.

My favorite is Bridgestone. The founder's family name is Ishibashi (石橋) which literally means "stone bridge". And they were previously a motorcycle and bicycle manufacturer. They still made bicycles into the 1990s. The Bridgestone MB-0 (em-bee zip) mountain bike was legendary. They used Ishiwata steel tubing and customized parts including a Suntour road pedal that had a bearings from a Suntour mountain bike pedal. It was simple and lightweight, where it weighed less than most road bikes and stayed away from a lot of complex stuff like push button shifters and odd-shaped chainrings.

Bridgestone-MB-0.jpg

It's a name, just like Baker or Smith.

My favorite is Bridgestone. The founder's family name is Ishibashi (石橋) which literally means "stone bridge". And they were previously a motorcycle and bicycle manufacturer. They still made bicycles into the 1990s. The Bridgestone MB-0 (em-bee zip) mountain bike was legendary. They used Ishiwata steel tubing and customized parts including a Suntour road pedal that had a bearings from a Suntour mountain bike pedal. It was simple and lightweight, where it weighed less than most road bikes and stayed away from a lot of complex stuff like push button shifters and odd-shaped chainrings.

Bridgestone-MB-0.jpg
It is just a name-but it is still "weird" for a tire. I mean you have those on here who make fun of the name of "Goodride" tires. Which name when you are looking at a tire-really makes more sense?? Think about it for a moment....

It is just a name-but it is still "weird" for a tire. I mean you have those on here who make fun of the name of "Goodride" tires. Which name when you are looking at a tire-really makes more sense?? Think about it for a moment....
I'm surprised there isn't yet a "Kumbaya" tire.... They'd even have a size for your Highlander!

Reactions: CKN

There are some really odd names for tires. I once bought a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires for my mom's car as a gift. Well - they were out of vacation and that car's mismatched tires were either junk or close to being bald, and they didn't complain. There was even a $100 mail-in rebate, and apparently only the registered owner of the car got it, so I filled out the rebate form for her and she cashed the check.

How about this:

images

Not sure what makes a mountain bike tire "HOT".

i once got Sumitomos but maybe they are name brand? They were my first 40 series that I slapped on my maxima.

Did a +2! 😂

It seems Linglong has caught on that it's a horrible name and has started labeling tires as "Crosswind" only. Prior to the last year or so, we'd get them in labeled as Linglong Crosswind.

No the tread seperates.... :ROFLMAO:

Yea-somehow "Firestone" and "Goodyear" doesn't sound funny but "Goodride" does. Shows you what we are use too. And yea-I know where both the names Firestone and Goodyear came from.

Then there's either "Fireyear" or "Goodstone". "Mom" Unser, the mother of Al Sr. and Bobby, had this jacket she wore to the races. Al was on Firestones and Bobby was on Goodyears. So, she got a Firestone jacket and a Goodyear jacket of the same design, cut them in half and stitched them together.
Thought this would be a good chance to tell an old story

Back